Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 06:35 AM

16,463 posts, read 12,660,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBull13 View Post

You do realize he specifically stated "when I was a young man..."

1. He obviously didn't know her at the time (way back then)
2. This was long before "she long spoke out against sexualization and objectification"
But his tweet came long after "she long spoke out against sexualization and objectification." So as someone else upthread mentioned, at the very least, it's quite tone deaf.

Look folks, I never said I was offended by the comment, I can just see why people took his comment the way they did. [CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 12-29-2016, 06:48 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,914,552 times
Is it offensive? No, IMO. But there's something kind of feeble-minded about memorializing Carrie Fisher, who had an interesting and varied life and career, largely in terms of how pretty you found her forty years ago. Then figure in how much she herself disliked the public focus on her appearance, and you have to admit it was a rather dopey statement.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:57 AM

28,732 posts, read 18,971,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
But his tweet came long after "she long spoke out against sexualization and objectification." So as someone else upthread mentioned, at the very least, it's quite tone deaf.

Look folks, I never said I was offended by the comment, I can just see why people took his comment the way they did. [CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Is it offensive? No, IMO. But there's something kind of feeble-minded about memorializing Carrie Fisher, who had an interesting and varied life and career, largely in terms of how pretty you found her forty years ago. Then figure in how much she herself disliked the public focus on her appearance, and you have to admit it was a rather dopey statement.

He said, "When I was a young man...."

He was expressing the frame of mind he had fifty years ago.

Before she became so outspoken.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:25 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,951,716 times
It's all about intention - and we all know he's a funny-man first and foremost.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:30 AM

79,104 posts, read 61,238,971 times
Quote:
What I don't like about the comment is that you'd never hear (or read) the same thing said about a guy. Because it's never surprising to find out that looks and smarts can co-exist in the same guy. But for some reason, it seems surprising when talking about a woman.

It also shows that he didn't really know her very well (or didn't really pay attention to her) since she long spoke out against sexualization and objectification. I know his heart was in the right place, but Carrie wouldn't really have appreciated the comment. Of course, she would have said something in response that was biting and witty while at the same time gracious.
First off, they said many of the same things about Brad Pitt as he emerged as an actor after being eye-candy in Thelma and Louise.

Secondly, they made fun of this very meme with Chris Hemsworths character in the Ghostbusters movie that came out this summer.

Third, it's HOLLYWOOD which even to this day has a loooong history of casting looks over intelligence\ability so it wasn't a big shock that with many actors and actresses you had to wait and find out if there was any substance to them or if they were just on screen to look good.

Lastly, maybe some of you should go read some of the excoriating threads about Ryan Lochte's reality show about how he "looks great" but is "dumb as a post"....or of course Jessica Simpson of "chicken of the sea" infamy.

If Martin was referring to a lawyer, doctor or pilot it would be offensive....but for an actress? I can BS. Now tell you what, go fire up Baywatch on Netflix and enjoy the show.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:38 AM

4,865 posts, read 3,681,044 times
As a 61 year old gal, I would consider that tweet a compliment!

I find myself thinking about comment I make to people, like "oh she is so pretty" and wonder if I'll get chewed out.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:56 AM

35,239 posts, read 57,433,313 times
Quote:
What I don't like about the comment is that you'd never hear (or read) the same thing said about a guy. Because it's never surprising to find out that looks and smarts can co-exist in the same guy. But for some reason, it seems surprising when talking about a woman.

It also shows that he didn't really know her very well (or didn't really pay attention to her) since she long spoke out against sexualization and objectification. I know his heart was in the right place, but Carrie wouldn't really have appreciated the comment. Of course, she would have said something in response that was biting and witty while at the same time gracious.
You wouldn't??? of course you would hear that about male actors and do all the time. The difference is men get a kick out of such remarks. Why a woman would take offense is beyond me. There is absolutely nothing offensive about what he said. Also, how do you know Carrie Fisher would take offense to what is really a compliment? Do you know her? She probably would have made a remark out of a pleasant embarrassment to try and be funny about it but you have no way of knowing if it was offensive to her or not. I would think not. Jay

Old 12-29-2016, 08:33 AM

28,732 posts, read 18,971,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You wouldn't??? of course you would hear that about male actors and do all the time. The difference is men get a kick out of such remarks. Why a woman would take offense is beyond me. There is absolutely nothing offensive about what he said. Also, how do you know Carrie Fisher would take offense to what is really a compliment? Do you know her? She probably would have made a remark out of a pleasant embarrassment to try and be funny about it but you have no way of knowing if it was offensive to her or not. I would think not. Jay
Yes. What he said was that Carrie was beautiful, witty, and bright.

Inasmuch as they had been longtime good friends since the 70s, I suspect he knows what she'd find offensive.

His error was in presuming everyone reading his tweet would also be witty and bright.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:15 AM

455 posts, read 391,245 times
So my dad who has since passed was an amazing man, I loved him dearly but let's just say he came from a different generation where women were, well let's just say, not at the top of the food chain.

He worked in a sheet metal shop and was the foreman in a union environment. He had an office that he shared with a few other guys in the middle of the shop. This was also a larger organization so there were more "professional" offices and administrative staff throughout the building.

He had for many years put up a "pin up" girl calendar in his office that he got from our local Chevron station (many of you may recall these). One year he was told to take it down because it could be offensive and constitute sexual harassment. My dad was beyond incensed, so mad he turned purple. Till the day he passed he exclaimed that this was not "dirty" and it was "ART".

I still laugh about it today, but my point is that most men would never find anything offensive about objectifying a women based on her looks because that's basically a woman's primary "worth". My dad thought a pin up girl calendar was "ART" and nothing offensive about girls in short shorts and bikini tops on top of cars could ever offend anyone.

Although I know Martin meant this is a very nice way to deflect some of the sorrow in his funny man way, his comments can be interpreted that her worth was her looks AND then "oh gee whiz, she's smart too" as if that somehow would not be a given anyway.

It's not PC, it's more about caring about peoples feeling when years ago you were free to insult and offend.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:29 AM

14,443 posts, read 11,917,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayennev8 View Post
his comments can be interpreted that her worth was her looks AND then "oh gee whiz, she's smart too" as if that somehow would not be a given anyway.
"Can be interpreted." In other words, if you are looking for an insult, you'll find one, whether or not it was intended or even implicit in the wording.

And it's not a "given" that a good-looking person (male or female) is smart, actually.

Last edited by saibot; 12-29-2016 at 10:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events