Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 09:39 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,037,776 times

Advertisements

His comment was about her persona. It had nothing to do with her "beautiful face" or "shapely body" or "glamorous hairstyle" or whatever. It was about how she made him feel.

Steve Martin is an utter twit to have taken down his tweet.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:52 AM

78,545 posts, read 60,737,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayennev8 View Post
So my dad who has since passed was an amazing man, I loved him dearly but let's just say he came from a different generation where women were, well let's just say, not at the top of the food chain.

He worked in a sheet metal shop and was the foreman in a union environment. He had an office that he shared with a few other guys in the middle of the shop. This was also a larger organization so there were more "professional" offices and administrative staff throughout the building.

He had for many years put up a "pin up" girl calendar in his office that he got from our local Chevron station (many of you may recall these). One year he was told to take it down because it could be offensive and constitute sexual harassment. My dad was beyond incensed, so mad he turned purple. Till the day he passed he exclaimed that this was not "dirty" and it was "ART".

I still laugh about it today, but my point is that most men would never find anything offensive about objectifying a women based on her looks because that's basically a woman's primary "worth". My dad thought a pin up girl calendar was "ART" and nothing offensive about girls in short shorts and bikini tops on top of cars could ever offend anyone.

Although I know Martin meant this is a very nice way to deflect some of the sorrow in his funny man way, his comments can be interpreted that her worth was her looks AND then "oh gee whiz, she's smart too" as if that somehow would not be a given anyway.

It's not PC, it's more about caring about peoples feeling when years ago you were free to insult and offend.
In the entertainment industry a persons looks can and often are their professional worth. It's a field where many people are solely employed due to their looks and many are shallow and pretty dumb.

I've heard MANY women and men make comments over the years about various male & female celebrities being "airheads" with good looks. Martins comments go to that reality.

Again, we're not talking about teachers, lawyers etc. but rather people that make their living in front of a camera.

In short, Martins comments CREDIT her for being more than just a pretty face in an industry where that's all you need. I think people are not stopping to consider the industry that martin and her worked in.

Last edited by Mathguy; 12-29-2016 at 12:04 PM..

Old 12-29-2016, 11:23 AM

2,320 posts, read 2,562,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
What I don't like about the comment is that you'd never hear (or read) the same thing said about a guy. Because it's never surprising to find out that looks and smarts can co-exist in the same guy. But for some reason, it seems surprising when talking about a woman.

It also shows that he didn't really know her very well (or didn't really pay attention to her) since she long spoke out against sexualization and objectification. I know his heart was in the right place, but Carrie wouldn't really have appreciated the comment. Of course, she would have said something in response that was biting and witty while at the same time gracious.
No, I disagree. You WOULD hear the same about a guy ... we would have said something like "When I was a girl, ______ was the hottest guy I had ever seen. He turned out to be a nice decent guy as well."

There was absolutely nothing wrong with what Steve Martin said -- I didn't read the article but what he said was not sexualization or objectification. If he had said "she had a nice A$$" or something along those lines, THAT would have been inappropriate, but not the sweet words he said about her. Silliness people.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:54 AM

16,644 posts, read 8,653,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post

Look folks, I never said I was offended by the comment, I can just see why people took his comment the way they did.

Empathizing with PC fools only encourages more of the same. They should be publicly ridiculed and made to understand this immature PC nonsense is ruining dialog and freedom of speech/thought in this country.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:01 PM

16,644 posts, read 8,653,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
You WOULD hear the same about a guy ... we would have said something like "When I was a girl, ______ was the hottest guy I had ever seen. He turned out to be a nice decent guy as well."

Silliness people.
Exactly right.

I have heard plenty women say that they had a poster of some teen heartthrob on their wall when young and thought the guy was so hot, cute, sexy, etc.
Then they found out what a jerk the guy was, or the opposite, and being disappointed he had a girlfriend or was married.
Nothing sexist or wrong about admiring someone for their looks, regardless of their intellect. That is especially true of entertainers who promote and/or making a living off their looks.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:37 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,261,545 times
So, in PC America, a moonbat hack condemns what Steve Martin, a personal friend, of Carrie said in tribute to her. OK, business as usual these days.

Unfortunately, he caved. That's the worst part of it, but nevertheless business as usual.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:51 PM

16,427 posts, read 12,542,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
They should be publicly ridiculed and made to understand this immature PC nonsense is ruining dialog and freedom of speech/thought in this country.
The amusing thing is that you'll never see the irony in your own statement.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 12-29-2016, 12:57 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,699,867 times
This story is a high profile thread on Yahoo. May be why it is getting so much negative exposure.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:20 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,235,991 times
stop the world...i wanna get off...

Old 12-29-2016, 01:57 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,441,384 times
This whole thing brought one of my favorite West Wing scenes to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLeqqrzG7Lw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.