Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 01:52 PM

102,228 posts, read 108,040,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I thought it was sweet. I'm not even conservative, and I think the negative reaction is ridiculous. He was sharing his first reaction to seeing her, and amended it to include what he found out when he got to know her.
Why would he be surprised to discover she was witty and bright, though? Why wouldn't he have assumed from the start that she had a brain?

Old 12-28-2016, 01:56 PM

28,682 posts, read 18,820,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Without realizing it, you have stated what some see as the problem. We are not living "back in his day."
That's why he prefaced it with, "When I was a young man...."

The point was to compare the ignorance of his youth with his later wisdom.

All of us old men acknowledge how foolish we were as youth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why would he be surprised to discover she was witty and bright, though? Why wouldn't he have assumed from the start that she had a brain?
He didn't say he was surprised. That was your projection.

I remember when I was a young man seeing a woman I though was absolutely ravishing accompanied by another woman who was pretty...but not as much. Then when I engaged the absolutely ravishing woman in conversation, I discovered she was an airhead and lost interest. Her not-as-glamorous friend, however, could knew the connection between men in red shirts and "rich Corinthian leather."

I wound up marrying the not-as-glamorous one.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:10 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,022,497 times
Quote:
What I don't like about the comment is that you'd never hear (or read) the same thing said about a guy. Because it's never surprising to find out that looks and smarts can co-exist in the same guy. But for some reason, it seems surprising when talking about a woman.

It also shows that he didn't really know her very well (or didn't really pay attention to her) since she long spoke out against sexualization and objectification. I know his heart was in the right place, but Carrie wouldn't really have appreciated the comment. Of course, she would have said something in response that was biting and witty while at the same time gracious.
And just how would you know how she would have felt.? she may have taken it as a very nice complement.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:15 PM

102,228 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

He didn't say he was surprised. That was your projection.
He said he later discovered she was witty and bright. That means he wasn't expecting her to have those qualities.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:21 PM

28,682 posts, read 18,820,138 times
Quote:
He said he later discovered she was witty and bright. That means he wasn't expecting her to have those qualities.
It means he hadn't made any judgment at all beyond initial appearance while all he had to go on was initial appearance.

What rationality would there be in making a judgment on a characteristic without any evidence of that characteristic? It makes no more sense to presume someone "witty and bright" than to presume them boring and dull if all you have is their appearance.

Heck, most people aren't "witty and bright," so why would he make that assumption anyway?

Old 12-28-2016, 02:32 PM

16,426 posts, read 12,529,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
And just how would you know how she would have felt.? she may have taken it as a very nice complement.
Based on her own comments throughout the years. Even the article touched on it. If you don't want to agree, that's fine.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:38 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,792,649 times
Quote:
No. Discovered means he got the opportunity to know her. It doesnt mean he wasnt expecting it. She could have been a dumb airhead or just a vapid souless person. Or any of many personalities. He couldnt know.

Lots of people we see or briefly meet we dont get to know and and only have their physical characteristics to judge them on.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:51 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,762,674 times
Quote:
What I don't like about the comment is that you'd never hear (or read) the same thing said about a guy. Because it's never surprising to find out that looks and smarts can co-exist in the same guy. But for some reason, it seems surprising when talking about a woman.

I disagree. Just this weekend I told my mother in law about how the first time I saw her son I was smitten, because he was so cute. And then I got to know him and found out he was smart and kind and loyal and all those other things too.

Most of my married girl friends have said similar things about their husbands as well.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:

Because he had not gotten to know her?

When all you know of is someone's appearance, then you can only judge their appearance. You cannot judge their intelligence or personality until you talk to them a bit and get to know them.

Do you go around assuming that every person you have seen but have not talked to are witty and bright? Neither do I. I try to not make assumptions about them and keep an open mind.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:

No it means he didn't *know* she had those qualities. Because he didn't know her. No where in the tweet did he talk about his expectations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events