Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 01:01 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,547,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
You are right. Some people could completely rehabilitate themselves and make great parents. The odds are unfortunately against that. It would be quite unfair to tare the child away from the only parents she has known now that dad is out of jail.
I agree! That poor little girl will be terrified being taken away and put into a house with people she doesn't even know. How is this father going to work and support this child too? If he doesn't have a job, is he living off of his Mama? pitiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 01:16 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
Sorry but I disagree with you on this from first hand experience. My brother was in prison for 5 years and the childrens mothers had custody of the children, but my parents(the grandparents) were always in their grandchildrens lifes supporting them and taking them to go see their father in prison at the time. So they knew and loved their father, so now that he is out and taking care of himself with a good job he can support them. So now in the upcoming future he will file for custody of at least one of his two children(different mothers) because he is not getting the love and support that child needs in that household.
It looks like in this case the grandmother and father never tried to establish/re-establish contact while he was in prison at all. The grandmother could have helped and supported her grandchild. Which ever way it goes it sucks for the child honestly.
You have your opinion and *first hand* experience and I have mine, what is your point?
I am simply saying that the assumptions made by those on this thread are merely that, assumptions and *all* of the real details of the case are not known.
So all the judges, juries, and executioners are simply computer warriors who believe everything they read online or hear on the news without having actual *first hand* knowledge.
Personally, I don't care what anyone else believes or doesn't, it is not their place to make a determination about this couple, this family or this child.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:21 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
You are right. Some people could completely rehabilitate themselves and make great parents. The odds are unfortunately against that. It would be quite unfair to tare the child away from the only parents she has known now that dad is out of jail.
Did you ever think about the possibility that those odds are against so many because of those who
assume that no one can change their lives? I would guess you haven't, as many do not.
I do not advocate anyone *tear* the child away from anyone immediately however, I do not have an issue with the parent and child getting to know each other, spending time together under supervision in a slower steady progression and seeing if there is a possible future arrangement with the parents and child.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:42 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,373,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Did you ever think about the possibility that those odds are against so many because of those who
assume that no one can change their lives? I would guess you haven't, as many do not.
I do not advocate anyone *tear* the child away from anyone immediately however, I do not have an issue with the parent and child getting to know each other, spending time together under supervision in a slower steady progression and seeing if there is a possible future arrangement with the parents and child.
If the biological father had any compassion at all for his daughter, he would see and understand that what he is doing is NOT in her best interest. He would stop the legal fight over custody immediately. Then if he still wants contact with her he can begin the process of fighting for access ... as you say, "spending time together under supervision in a slower steady progression". What he is doing currently will not benefit the child in any way.

Those here who are arguing about the biological father's rights and his fitness to be a parent are missing the whole point! It's the child who will be harmed in all this. It's the child whose needs and stability should be considered. Tearing her away from what she knows as family could do irreparable harm at this point, regardless of the biological father's legal standing. Unfortunately the courts and the law don't see it that way. This is one of the tragedies of our adoptive process.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:54 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,217,290 times
Quote:
If the parties could work together it might be in everyone's favor to let them visit under controlled circumstances. The child would then know who daddy was/is and would not have to go through wondering about that in later life. I would have the visits clearly understood as a way for her to know her family not as a path toward her returning to Daddy. Imagine how stressful that would be on all concerned.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:59 PM

903 posts, read 583,700 times
Quote:
So anyone who goes to prison, pays their court ordered debt to society, gets out, lives with family, trying to re-establish their lives has no right to be a parent to their biological child?
According to who? YOU?
Just because you *assume* they are *acting* like they have it together and they live with their *mommy* (your words)
does not mean the situation is true.
There are in theory *educated, law abiding citizens* who *live with their mommy* who also have a child/children
either in or out of wedlock.
Perhaps they should not have the right to be biological parents either.

Also, the *assumption* that money is involved so they want the child is merely an assumption.
There are actual ex-convicts and drug users who do straighten up, just ask Tim Allen, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings,
Robert Downey Jr., etc.
They have a right to start a fresh life. They do not have a right to uproot the child they gave up for adoption.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:32 PM

2,024 posts, read 1,315,375 times
The biological mom says Braelynn should stay with the adoptive parents. She apparently kept in touch and was allowed to visit whenever she liked.
Biological mom speaks out after SC girl ordered to leave adopted family | The Charlotte Observer

Also, from the link below, we learn a little about the biological father.
"At the time Braelynn was placed in the Dalsing's care, Myers was incarcerated in Virginia on two contempt of court charges, two fraud, bank notes or coins charges and one probation violation. "

Parents in fight with adopted child

Old 02-10-2017, 03:03 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,784,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
The biological mom says Braelynn should stay with the adoptive parents. She apparently kept in touch and was allowed to visit whenever she liked.
Biological mom speaks out after SC girl ordered to leave adopted family | The Charlotte Observer

Also, from the link below, we learn a little about the biological father.
"At the time Braelynn was placed in the Dalsing's care, Myers was incarcerated in Virginia on two contempt of court charges, two fraud, bank notes or coins charges and one probation violation. "

Parents in fight with adopted child
Thanks for this. I take back what I said about the Biological Mother.

She obviously has had problems & struggles (lots of people do), but she also obviously has a good heart..... and wanted what was BEST for the little girl. (Which is why she gave her up for adoption to this nice family).

Old 02-10-2017, 03:14 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
So anyone who goes to prison, pays their court ordered debt to society, gets out, lives with family, trying to re-establish their lives has no right to be a parent to their biological child?
According to who? YOU?
Just because you *assume* they are *acting* like they have it together and they live with their *mommy* (your words)
does not mean the situation is true.
There are in theory *educated, law abiding citizens* who *live with their mommy* who also have a child/children
either in or out of wedlock.
Perhaps they should not have the right to be biological parents either.

Also, the *assumption* that money is involved so they want the child is merely an assumption.
There are actual ex-convicts and drug users who do straighten up, just ask Tim Allen, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings,
Robert Downey Jr., etc.
That's right. Crime has consequences. And if he truly had an interest in the child, he wouldn't have, as the article states, "failed to demonstrate the minimum efforts…to establish or maintain a parent child relationship".

He lost his chance to have a relationship with this child.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:25 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
there is a petition going to governor mc master in hopes of him over ruling and letting her stay with her adoptive parents hopefully more sensible people will prevail . I'm sorry but if you are a drug addict and went to prison for it you have no business being a daddy and then come out and act like you got it together when you are living with your mommy . sorry no way jose . I hope her adoptive parents keep her . Bio daddy and mama need to bow out .her adoptive parents are good Christian people and they deserve to keep her .
Agreed! This poor child only knows her adopted parents. Her life will be better with them as well. It's a sad story!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events