Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 04:48 PM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times

Advertisements

What I think is, that the student was right, and the principal way over reacted. The fault lies in the student's parents enrolling her in some holy roller school in the first place. If the girl managed to comply for almost 4 years, she could have reasonably hung in for a few more weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 05:04 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
If this principal were a patrol officer pulling over a motorist...

You: "What seems to be the tr--"

Officer: "THE SPEED LIMIT IS 55 MPH! YOU WERE GOING 56 MPH!"

You: "Oh. Well, I had my cruise control set for 55 mph. I guess--"

Officer: "NO EXCUSES! YOU WERE GOING 56 MPH!"

You: "Yes, I understand that. But it doesn't seem like that big--"

Officer: "RULES ARE RULES! THE LAW IS THE LAW! I'M CITING YOU FOR SPEEDING! HERE'S YOUR TICKET!"

You: "What? A $100 fine? Are you--"

Officer: "IS THAT A CRACK IN YOUR WINDOW?"

You: "Yes, Officer. A truck threw back a stone as I pulled out of work this afternoon. I figured I'd take it in to be replaced on--"

Officer: "THAT'S A VIOLATION OF CODE 36.2-1437. I'M WRITING YOU ANOTHER CITATION. THIS VEHICLE CANNOT BE DRIVEN IN THIS CONDITION. YOU'LL HAVE TO HAVE IT TOWED TO A REPAIR SHOP."

You: "What?!"

Officer: "RULES ARE RULES! THE LAW IS THE LAW!"

You: "This is outrageous. You are being ridiculously--"

Officer: THAT'S DISORDERLY CONDUCT! YOU'RE UNDER ARREST! ALL UNITS! ALL UNITS! REQUESTING BACKUP! WE HAVE A BACK-TALKING RULE-VIOLATING LAW-BREAKING CIVILIAN WITH AN ATTITUDE! REQUESTING DEPLOYMENT OF A K9 UNIT, TAZERS, TEAR GAS AND TACTICAL GEAR!"

Fortunately, most LEOs - like most educators and administrators - are not rule-fetishists and are outcome-oriented, able to see the forest for the trees.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:23 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Unsettomati, more like this:

Officer: I'm ticketing your car because there is no student parking sticker on it
Student: I'm fine
Officer: You're parked illegally. You have to have a student parking sticker to park here
Friend in car: There's a parking sticker right here (pulls one off the back seat)
Officer: Great. Let's get that on the car
Student: (Places sticker on the dash)
Officer: Actually, it has to be affixed. Otherwise, as soon as you drive off you could give that sticker to someone else who has another car. Parking stickers, to be valid, have to be permanently affixed to the car.
Student: No. (drives away)
Officer, who later sees the car again parked on campus with the sticker resting on the dashboard: I'm ticketing you if you don't immediately affix that sticker. That's twice you've parked in this lot without affixing the sticker.
Student (In full view of a crowd of students): No. I'm not going to do it. I'm calling my mother. (attempts to reach mother by phone, but is unable to. Remains seated in car without affixing sticker.)
Officer: That's it. If you don't immediately affix the sticker, that's two parking violations, which is a towable offense on campus.
Student: No. You can't. My mother has to approve what you do.
Officer: Get out of the car. I'm towing it.
Student: No. You can't. My mother isn't here to approve you towing my car.
Student's mother finally comes, student gets out of the car and the car is towed away to the impound lot.
Next day, student goes to local media pouting that her car was towed by a crazy officer even though she was showing him her valid sticker and begging not to be towed.

To me, that's the accurate portrayal. Seems like an overreaction by the officer, but the student flatly refused to fix the problem and made it clear to the officer that the sticker would in fact, not be affixed to the car and the car would be out of compliance again, illegally parked, the next time he turns around.

Last edited by ClaraC; 05-27-2017 at 06:34 PM..

Old 05-27-2017, 06:17 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,953,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Unsettomati, more like this:

Officer: I'm ticketing your car because there is no student parking sticker on it
Officer: You're parked illegally. You have to have a student parking sticker to park here
Friend in car: There's a parking sticker right here (pulls one off the back seat)
Officer: Great. Let's get that on the car
Student: (Places sticker on the dash)
Officer: Actually, it has to be affixed. Otherwise, as soon as you drive off you could give that sticker to someone else who has another car. Parking stickers, to be valid, have to be permanently affixed to the car.
Student: No. (drives away)
Officer, who later sees the car again parked on campus with the sticker resting on the windshield: I'm ticketing you if you don't immediately affix that sticker. That's twice you've parked in this lot without affixing the sticker.
Student (In full view of a crowd of students): No. I'm not going to do it. I'm calling my mother. (attempts to reach mother by phone, but is unable to. Remains seated in car without affixing sticker.)
Officer: That's it. If you don't immediately affix the sticker, that's two parking violations, which is a towable offense on campus.
Student: No. You can't. My mother has to approve what you do.
Officer: Get out of the car. I'm towing it.
Student: No. You can't. My mother isn't here to approve you towing my car.
Student's mother finally comes, student gets out of the car and the car is towed away to the impound lot.
Next day, student goes to local media pouting that her car was towed by a crazy officer even though she was showing him her valid sticker and begging not to be towed.

To me, that's the accurate portrayal. Seems like an overreaction by the officer, but the student flatly refused to fix the problem and made it clear to the officer that the sticker would in fact, not be affixed to the car and the car would be out of compliance again, illegally parked, the next time he turns around.
That's an accurate metaphor ... student/driver chooses to escalate the situation, then claims to be a victim.

Old 05-27-2017, 06:55 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
That not an accurate metaphor.

What would be accurate is if the policeman told the student to put the sticker in the dash, then the student did as they were told, and then the policeman changed their mind and decided it should now be a completely new sticker. And the student said I'm not doing anything else without my mom.

Also, the policeman never "caught the student with the ticket out the dash" later. The student never took off the jacket.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
That not an accurate metaphor.

What would be accurate is if the policeman told the student to put the sticker in the dash, then the student did as they were told, and then the policeman changed their mind and decided it should now be a completely new sticker. And the student said I'm not doing anything else without my mom.

Also, the policeman never "caught the student with the ticket out the dash" later. The student never took off the jacket.
The student did not have a chance to take off the jacket later in the day. Instead, the student was asked to take off the jacket and remove the inappropriate shirt. The student refused. Why did the student refuse? Why did she then try to shift the responsibility to her mother? Has her mother bailed her out in the past? Is that her pattern of behavior - to create a scene and then wait for her mother to get her off the hook?

Old 05-27-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
The student did not have a chance to take off the jacket later in the day. Instead, the student was asked to take off the jacket and remove the inappropriate shirt. The student refused. Why did the student refuse? Why did she then try to shift the responsibility to her mother? Has her mother bailed her out in the past? Is that her pattern of behavior - to create a scene and then wait for her mother to get her off the hook?
Not exactly.

Principal ordered her to put on a jacket or change. Student argued she didn't have a jacket and her shirt was fine. Friend loaned her a jacket. Student put on jacket and zipped it up.

After the jacket was on and zipped up principal said no, now I want you to go to this other room and change shirts. Student said I'm not doing anything else until you call my mom because that's what she told me and the school to do if there's any more trouble.

Principal leaves. Girl goes to auditorium with her friends. Principal and girl try to call mom but she doesn't answer. Principal comes to auditorium with school safety officer, kicks everyone else out, orders girl to get out of her seat, change shirts or be arrested by police. Girl says I'm not leaving seat without talking to my mom. At last minute mom calls girl. After their convo, Girl willingly leaves school grounds.

Girls gets suspended, banned from senior activities and graduation, and is told the school is considering expelling her so that she can't graduate at all. This all happened two weeks before her graduation.

Over a shirt.

Expelled for not changing her shirt.

EXPELLED.

Shirt.

There is no way to make that not crazy. No amount of "rules are rules" makes it less asinine.

Unless more comes out about this story, it remains one of the dumbest principal stories I ever heard IMO. LMAO

Old 05-27-2017, 08:18 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Not exactly.

Principal ordered her to put on a jacket or change.

EXPELLED.

Shirt.

There is no way to make that not crazy. No amount of "rules are rules" makes it less asinine.

Unless more comes out about this story, it remains one of the dumbest principal stories I ever heard IMO. LMAO
As I understand it, the principal told her to put on a jacket and THEN change. Not put on the jacket OR change her shirt. Because anyone who works with kids - they are so clever - those who want to defy the rules will take that jacket right off after the principal has left the room. I love teens and adolescents, but the ones who want to defy the rules have incredibly clever ways to do so. You just have to keep one step ahead. As in, after the jacket has been put on, take the girl to the room where she has to change her shirt to a compliant shirt.

I don't think she's been expelled, has she? She's been suspended. Which means she will still receive a diploma by mail.

The school is still considering expulsion - where she won't receive a diploma - but that hasn't happened yet, as I understand it.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
As I understand it, the principal told her to put on a jacket and THEN change. Not put on the jacket OR change her shirt. Because anyone who works with kids - they are so clever - those who want to defy the rules will take that jacket right off after the principal has left the room. I love teens and adolescents, but the ones who want to defy the rules have incredibly clever ways to do so. You just have to keep one step ahead. As in, after the jacket has been put on, take the girl to the room where she has to change her shirt to a compliant shirt.

I don't think she's been expelled, has she? She's been suspended. Which means she will still receive a diploma by mail.

The school is still considering expulsion - where she won't receive a diploma - but that hasn't happened yet, as I understand it.
No not yet. But even considering it is crazy IMO.

Not letting her walk is a bit much as well to me but at least she'd graduate.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Not exactly.

Principal ordered her to put on a jacket or change. Student argued she didn't have a jacket and her shirt was fine. Friend loaned her a jacket. Student put on jacket and zipped it up.

After the jacket was on and zipped up principal said no, now I want you to go to this other room and change shirts. Student said I'm not doing anything else until you call my mom because that's what she told me and the school to do if there's any more trouble.

Principal leaves. Girl goes to auditorium with her friends. Principal and girl try to call mom but she doesn't answer. Principal comes to auditorium with school safety officer, kicks everyone else out, orders girl to get out of her seat, change shirts or be arrested by police. Girl says I'm not leaving seat without talking to my mom. At last minute mom calls girl. After their convo, Girl willingly leaves school grounds.

Girls gets suspended, banned from senior activities and graduation, and is told the school is considering expelling her so that she can't graduate at all. This all happened two weeks before her graduation.

Over a shirt.

EXPELLED.

Shirt.

Upon leaving the school grounds, she abandoned her right to assert. She walked away. I agree that is another reason to enforce insubordination and suspension.

Not expelled, suspended. Most exams are electronic, and I see no reason why the student could not write online in a supervised location - like a library.

Why did the student pull this stunt so close to exams?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events