Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 08:23 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times

Advertisements

Dress code, series of events lead to honor roll student's suspension | KVUE.com

HELLO? If you defy authority publicly, and defy the dress code, sorry, you're going to be suspended.

This girl's mother isn't helping, by declaring that she can't interact with authorities without her mother present.

There is something for standing your ground - and people are to be admired for that. But PLEASE - the dress code? and then publicly disobey the principal, after several requests to comply, I think losing your full ride to college is just what you should expect.

If I were a dean of a college this girl was planning to attend, I wouldn't want her there on a full scholarship. She doesn't understand that you have to obey the rules. And you can't just defy authority because of a shirt you want to wear that is against the rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 08:29 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,549,150 times
Quote:
"This is my life, I'm on a pre-med track," she says. "A full ride means so much and that is on the line right now."
good, because we don't need doctors who flaunt authority while treating people
Quote:
"I stayed in my seat just like a lot of role models that I have looked up to stayed in their seats," she says. 'I mean, you have to stand up for what you believe in."
um... if she is referring to rosa parks... parks got arrested as well so there you go. at least parks didn't argue with it and accepted the consequences

Old 05-22-2017, 08:32 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,823,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Dress code, series of events lead to honor roll student's suspension | KVUE.com

HELLO? If you defy authority publicly, and defy the dress code, sorry, you're going to be suspended.

This girl's mother isn't helping, by declaring that she can't interact with authorities without her mother present.

There is something for standing your ground - and people are to be admired for that. But PLEASE - the dress code? and then publicly disobey the principal, I think losing your full ride to college is just what you should expect.

If I were a dean of a college this girl was planning to attend, I wouldn't want her there on a full scholarship. She doesn't understand that you have to obey the rules. And you can't just defy authority because of a shirt you want to wear that is against the rules.
Something tells me you'll never be a college dean. Call it a hunch.

At any rate, slavish obedience to church-lady-esque rules (bare shoulders! pass the smelling salts!) isn't the sort of things that makes a dean swoon and say "Yes! We want this mindless automaton attending our college!".

Old 05-22-2017, 08:35 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,549,150 times
it isn't the obedience thing that rubs me wrong with her

she doesn't accept the consequences of her actions for not following the rules... she knew the rules, was even told during the process in case she had forgotten. She however choose not to follow them.

if she wanted the scholarship, she could as easily said she didn't agree with it, and took the punishment like an adult then tried to get it changed. But no, she wants to cry over it and act like she did nothing wrong

Old 05-22-2017, 08:36 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
good, because we don't need doctors who flaunt authority while treating people
um... if she is referring to rosa parks... parks got arrested as well so there you go. at least parks didn't argue with it because she actually believed in her actions and accepted the consequences
Yes, I think it's clear she was referring to Rosa Parks - who had every reason to take a stand. That was admirable - Black people shouldn't have to go to the back of the bus. Taking a stand when there is a real issue at hand is admirable.

Just refusing to obey the principal's request isn't admirable, in my opinion. What if EVERY student sat there and refused authority for whatever reason they had and their mothers backed them up in this refusal to comply?

Old 05-22-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
it isn't the obedience thing that rubs me wrong with her

she doesn't accept the consequences of her actions for not following the rules... she knew the rules, was even told during the process in case she had forgotten. She however choose not to follow them.

if she wanted the scholarship, she could as easily said she didn't agree with it, and took the punishment like an adult then tried to get it changed. But no, she wants to cry over it and act like she did nothing wrong
I agree. Part of me thinks she might be too young to know the "big" consequences - although her mother should have known. If this girl is on track for a full scholarship to med school, her mother should have known to advise her to keep her record clean. She actually looks like an interesting, intelligent girl who has been given VERY VERY bad advise by her mother.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:51 PM

4,993 posts, read 5,296,465 times
I dunno. The girl was being stubborn and has a bit of an attitude problem, but the jacket should have been enough to take care of the problem. If the principal agreed to include the parent, then maybe they should have waited.

We have a problem with selective enforcement of dress code at our local schools. So many of the girls clothes are layered. What looks like a modest outfit may not pass inspection. I know one girl who was made to put on some random tshirt because the principal didn't accept a buttoned up cardigan over a tank top as being modest. My child wears a dress similar to what another girl got into trouble for. My child is short so less leg showing.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I dunno. The girl was being stubborn and has a bit of an attitude problem, but the jacket should have been enough to take care of the problem. If the principal agreed to include the parent, then maybe they should have waited.

We have a problem with selective enforcement of dress code at our local schools. So many of the girls clothes are layered. What looks like a modest outfit may not pass inspection. I know one girl who was made to put on some random tshirt because the principal didn't accept a buttoned up cardigan over a tank top as being modest. My child wears a dress similar to what another girl got into trouble for. My child is short so less leg showing.
I do agree that sometimes the dress code isn't enforced fairly. It appears to me - in this one news story - that this very smart, very motivated girl had multiple times when she decided she didn't have to follow rules and her mother backed her 100%. That's what it seems to me in this article.

And a girl who has gotten the wrong idea that she doesn't have to follow the rules because Mother says she doesn't have to - is in for kind of a difficult life.

I wonder how this girl would have turned out if her mother instructed her to "pick your battles". Question authority when it's an issue that matters, not that green shirt you want to wear that you know is a violation of the dress code.

Anyway, it seems she's losing out because of the advise she's gotten.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:58 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,168,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Something tells me you'll never be a college dean. Call it a hunch.

At any rate, slavish obedience to church-lady-esque rules (bare shoulders! pass the smelling salts!) isn't the sort of things that makes a dean swoon and say "Yes! We want this mindless automaton attending our college!".
But it's better to have one that says "I can't go with you unless my mommy says it's ok"?
Work to change rules you don't like, but don't just pick and choose to obey only the ones you do like, and think it's all good.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:59 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
I hope that shirt means as much to her as those scholarships.
Her choice to wear the shirt so her choice to get suspended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events