Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 09:54 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It won't be over dress code, that's true. But I could see this girl - if she doesn't seriously change her attitude and behavior - getting crosswise with a professor and get ordered out of the class and receive an F in the course for defiance.

Her mother has allowed her to think she can behave this way, so it's a little hard to blame Summer. But really, open defiance of a professor's request in a college class wouldn't go over any better than it did in the high school cafeteria.
She's in for a rude awakening in college. She won't be the star of the show. Her mommy won't have any say. In fact, the college won't even talk to her mommy! She could be banned from the college. Yes, I have seen snowflake parents banned from college campuses. Crazy!

I've seen people physically removed from a college classroom and never allowed back in. It's so hard when you learn that the world doesn't revolve around you.

Now that her name has hit the papers and media, she's got an uphill battle for many years. Her sense of entitlement and attitude of I don't have to do what you say is not going to get her far in life. Certainly not in college, not in a job, not anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 09:55 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Exactly right. College isn't going to care who can see her collarbones. There's no way she would be subjected to this nonsense in college.
This is about far more than a shirt. She will still need to follow the rules which she doesn't think apply to her in high school. And there are colleges with dress codes. Many programs have dress codes and they will have you leave class if you're not dressed appropriately.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:27 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
She's in for a rude awakening in college. She won't be the star of the show. Her mommy won't have any say. In fact, the college won't even talk to her mommy! She could be banned from the college. Yes, I have seen snowflake parents banned from college campuses. Crazy!

I've seen people physically removed from a college classroom and never allowed back in. It's so hard when you learn that the world doesn't revolve around you.

Now that her name has hit the papers and media, she's got an uphill battle for many years. Her sense of entitlement and attitude of I don't have to do what you say is not going to get her far in life. Certainly not in college, not in a job, not anywhere.
Well, thankfully for her, her name isn't in the media. All they say is "Summer". The principal, Mrs. Cline, is clearly fully named and outed in the media.

I'd like to follow this story and see where it goes, but it seems if we don't know her last name it would be difficult to follow.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:29 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
She'll find out soon enough that life is a *****.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:40 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
After the student put the jacket on the confrontation should have ended. If you read the article, the principal wanted the student arrested. Over a shirt. She had a cop by the girl with his hand on his gun. No idea what is in the NC criminal code that would apply to this situation.
The student has issues but the principal has bigger issues to overreact in this manner.
As a former principal, to specifically respond to your question -- in some states being disruptive in school is literally illegal. We were told that that was true in Virginia, but at least in our district I never heard of a principal using that. And our SRO did not get involved in things like dress code violations.

Looking at the photo in the article, my reaction is -- big deal. Of course, we don't see the back of the clothing. Often, dress codes are designed as power tools, not out of common sense.

As far as a school official can't take action against a student until the mother is summoned to be present: absolute nonsense. We had cases where we agreed to call a parent immediately, but that did not preclude us taking appropriate action at the same time.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:42 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I really hope the appeals process runs its course and the school board has more sense and objective views than the principal. The punishment does not fit the crime at the end of the day.
As a retired school principal, it would have to be a pretty heinous crime for me to deny a child such a milestone as a graduation exercise...particularly if the suspension was over before the graduation ceremony.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:58 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Dress code, series of events lead to honor roll student's suspension | KVUE.com

HELLO? If you defy authority publicly, and defy the dress code, sorry, you're going to be suspended.

This girl's mother isn't helping, by declaring that she can't interact with authorities without her mother present.

There is something for standing your ground - and people are to be admired for that. But PLEASE - the dress code? and then publicly disobey the principal, after several requests to comply, I think losing your full ride to college is just what you should expect.

If I were a dean of a college this girl was planning to attend, I wouldn't want her there on a full scholarship. She doesn't understand that you have to obey the rules. And you can't just defy authority because of a shirt you want to wear that is against the rules.
There is a lot wrong here. If you want to have dress codes in schools, then just require the students to wear school uniforms, like they do in most countries. Problem solved. The students, don't enter the school if they are not in uniform. Stop with these complicated highly interpretive dress codes. Also stop using cops to enforce school rules. The purpose of law enforcement officers is to enforce laws. A school dress code is not a law. The principal had no right to involve the police in the matter.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:06 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
There is a lot wrong here. If you want to have dress codes in schools, then just require the students to wear school uniforms, like they do in most countries. Problem solved. The students, don't enter the school if they are not in uniform. Stop with these complicated highly interpretive dress codes. Also stop using cops to enforce school rules. The purpose of law enforcement officers is to enforce laws. A school dress code is not a law. The principal had no right to involve the police in the matter.
I don't know if you read the above posts, but at least in some school districts (don't know if this is one of them), "disruption of public education" is a crime, and students can get "tickets" that are misdemeanor infractions that require them to go to juvenile court.

In that case, the students are not doing what would - outside the school - constitute a criminal act. I know a school district in Dallas was handing these tickets out like candy and they were AMAZED at the compliance they could get from the students but the court system intervened and said they really couldn't be involved in the naughty behavior of children, it was clogging the juvenile courts.

I don't know exactly what to think here. Part of me is angry at the mother for leading this girl to believe she doesn't have to follow the instructions of her school principal.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:22 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
I don't know if you read the above posts, but at least in some school districts (don't know if this is one of them), "disruption of public education" is a crime, and students can get "tickets" that are misdemeanor infractions that require them to go to juvenile court.

In that case, the students are not doing what would - outside the school - constitute a criminal act. I know a school district in Dallas was handing these tickets out like candy and they were AMAZED at the compliance they could get from the students but the court system intervened and said they really couldn't be involved in the naughty behavior of children, it was clogging the juvenile courts.

I don't know exactly what to think here. Part of me is angry at the mother for leading this girl to believe she doesn't have to follow the instructions of her school principal.
Again stop using LAW enforcement officers to enforce school rules. Doing so shows lack of competence on the part of school administrators. She wasn't disrupting education. If the principal had let the matter slide, all the students would have gotten their education for the day.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:28 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I also believe that people should stand up for what they believe in. The idea that we should always listen to what teachers say just because they are in positions of authority is hogwash. The same goes for other authority figures: bosses, police officers, etc. . . There is injustice in the world, and it's up to us to confront it when we see it.
There are ways to go about it, and if you choose the path of defiance and obstinance then you need to realize there may be unpleasant consequences because of it.
Rosa Parks and others did what they did knowing that there were risks involved and they did it anyway, they were willing to pay the price to make a statement and work towards changing things. If this girl wasn't willing to do that then she shouldn't have taken the risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events