Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 05:54 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
It is obvious the student and principal have a history. I was taken aback when I got to the part where the student disregarded the principal's instructions. That would never happen when I went to school. So yeah, the student has a problem disobeying authority and that's probably where this all starts.
Not in my day, either. When you got home, that was something that you would regret.

Seems like her problems stem from home and her attitude from her mother.

4.4 or not, that doesn't make her special or get her special privileges.

My wife's niece is a great student but she has an attitude problem. Snobby and stuck up. Gets into fights she claims other girls start because "they're jealous" but I told my wife she's probably part of the problem too with her attitude.

Do I care about the kid in this story? Not at all. What I care about is her crap attitude infesting other students and carrying over onto adulthood where we have a group of weak minded adults who only think about themselves, their feelings and privileges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 07:16 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,098,813 times
After the student put the jacket on the confrontation should have ended. If you read the article, the principal wanted the student arrested. Over a shirt. She had a cop by the girl with his hand on his gun. No idea what is in the NC criminal code that would apply to this situation.
The student has issues but the principal has bigger issues to overreact in this manner.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:46 AM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
According to the article, she's been in trouble before and the school's policy of enforcing the dress code was well-known. Her judgement in forcing this issue seems to be very poor, then her refusal to go to the "control room," which I take to mean the admin offices, was really over the top. And her mother is a dolt for supposedly saying she needs to be called for every issue when her availability is clearly inadequate. If I were a college dean, the pair of them is a headache I wouldn't need. Snowflake + helicopter parent.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:51 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
After the student put the jacket on the confrontation should have ended. If you read the article, the principal wanted the student arrested. Over a shirt. She had a cop by the girl with his hand on his gun. No idea what is in the NC criminal code that would apply to this situation.
The student has issues but the principal has bigger issues to overreact in this manner.
I really hope the appeals process runs its course and the school board has more sense and objective views than the principal. The punishment does not fit the crime at the end of the day.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:55 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariatozz View Post
Very sexist policy. Is it any wonder the majority of those that get suspended or otherwise in trouble for their clothes/outfits are girls?
I have to agree. Boys never get this treatment. Girls have breasts, thus they get called out for the supposed vulgarity of their outfits. Not only that, who are outsiders to judge her and say it's a trivial issue? Considering how often male principals claim girls are wearing indecent clothing that's perfectly decent, I say it's not a trivial issue at all. This is a thinly veiled form of sexism.

I also believe that people should stand up for what they believe in. The idea that we should always listen to what teachers say just because they are in positions of authority is hogwash. The same goes for other authority figures: bosses, police officers, etc. . . There is injustice in the world, and it's up to us to confront it when we see it.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:55 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post

I think if the girl in the story wasn't a black girl, people would not be so quick to defend the school.
I didn't know she was black. I had this idea that she was some precious white girl twink with a name like Avery or Madison whose mother had one of those "I need to talk to the manager" haircuts.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:56 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,151,256 times
no, this is sticking to your guns! wtf, she made a point, drug dealers and sexual predators could graduate, but a honors student being held back because of showing her shoulder? I call it BS, all the way.

here is a student that busted her but, does the right thing academically , and she is shunned like a ***** because she is showing her shoulder. Academics , and defying a school dress code are 2 completely different thing, and that principal is over reaching her position to ruin this girls future. Is this not what the constitution protects us from? this is a pissing contest between the mom and the school, and the principal won't let it go.

This principal should be removed from her position, NOW. there should be another solution to the dress code violation, something that matches the offense. To mess around with someones future, especially the right person, who did the right thing by having perfect grades, is an injustice. Mom and daughter should lawyer up, and sue, the due to the adverse effect of the principals discipline. I wonder if MOM can go over the principals head, and ruffle some feathers. the principal does have to answer to a Boss.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:56 AM

324 posts, read 271,097 times
My Hubby and I were talking about this one last night.

She knows the policy. But if she had a jacket to keep it in compliance then the jacket SHOULD have been worn.

However he pointed out that shirt should NOT have been tucked in as the design was meant to be loose and flowing. The way it's tucked in.... well it make the Tatas center of attention.....

Sorry. She knows the rules, she clearly had a jacket for compliance reasons but was not wearing it. If she has flaunted the rules before and they have a file... then I can see why they cracked down this time.

And we DID NOT notice the color of her skin... that means nothing....

Old 05-23-2017, 08:45 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,395,633 times
Quote:
her mother says she recently instructed the school administrators to call her before taking any sort disciplinary action against Summer
Had she only informed the school administrators that they had to do whatever Summer told them to do there would be no issues. Mommy doesn't get to dictate school policy or procedures to the school. Kids don't get to ignore school policy or procedures because mommy told them they could. Good grades doesn't necessarily mean good student, and this girl had admittedly had multiple issues with school officials prior to this incident. It's unfortunate that schools can never give their side of any story involving students.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:58 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Unicorn View Post
My Hubby and I were talking about this one last night.

She knows the policy. But if she had a jacket to keep it in compliance then the jacket SHOULD have been worn.

However he pointed out that shirt should NOT have been tucked in as the design was meant to be loose and flowing. The way it's tucked in.... well it make the Tatas center of attention.....

Sorry. She knows the rules, she clearly had a jacket for compliance reasons but was not wearing it. If she has flaunted the rules before and they have a file... then I can see why they cracked down this time.

And we DID NOT notice the color of her skin... that means nothing....

Actually she did not have a jacket, per the article she was loaned one from a friend.

I still say we do not know the history so it's very difficult to place blame here. I mean the principal could have been over the top on other issues, as she showed here by not accepting the jacket as compliance. There is a lot to be said when a drug deal can walk across the stage but a girl for a dress code violation can not. But again the student is also showing poor judgment and an entitled attitude so there's that too.

As a student with high ambitions I just don't know why she would put herself in this spot. Her very first job application will turn up this story and possibly put her in the REJECT pile automatically. Just makes no sense that she would be so stubborn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events