Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 02:04 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times

Advertisements

Press release from Ken Harris, Charlotte, NC attorney. Apparently he's representing Summer in her legal action regarding the suspension/possible expulsion from Hickory Ridge High School. No word yet on whether she'll be allowed to attend graduation.

Ken Harris & Associates Has Been Hired To Represent, Student Says She Was Intimidated By Her School For Breaking Dress Code - Ken Harris & Associates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 10:59 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

According to facebook, she's back in school as of June 3 (after the 10 day suspension) and her return hasn't caused any incidents.

It's still unclear whether she'll be allowed to participate in the graduation ceremony.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:45 AM

I may be the only one still interested in this story - sorry to keep updating if no one else is actually interested!

Don't know if it's within terms of use to post a private facebook page, but I found a post from 15 hours ago on someone's page who's friends with the family and has been very vocal on news media facebook pages when this was a popular story, 3rd week in May. I don't want to post the page, in case it's against TOS.

I think she's credible. From her page, the following update:

Just wanted to let you all know that Summer was not allowed to be a part of her graduation rehearsal today. The principal, Cline, threw her out of the school, as soon as she arrived at rehearsal, while saying that she "doesn't care what the superintendent decides" and also said "and lock the doors behind her". Summer's suspension, that happened because of the principal's decision to not follow school policy regarding a shirt she wore, ended days ago by the way and she has been attending classes. So there was no reason for this egregious act on the part of this psycho principal. Summer was embarrassed in front of the entire senior class by Cline, who was also very loud and obnoxious. You will receive further updates soon. The graduation ceremony is tomorrow night and so far there is no further word from the superintendent's office as to whether or not she will be able to walk at the ceremony.

Reading between the lines, I would guess there was no apparent support for Summer at the practice - certainly not a big swell of support - or the update would have included that and not mentioned only that Summer had been embarrassed in front of the whole class. Had they showed support for her, Summer would be unlikely to have been "embarrassed". I'm guessing. Considering, she's obviously a smart young woman, she is having trouble learning this lesson - when you try to humiliate Principal Cline, you lose. And get terribly humiliated yourself.

Graduation is tonight at 7:30, and will be livestreamed on YouTube, is the traditional plan. Not sure it will happen this year.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:54 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Wait, you just shared an entire Facebook post from a student who refers to the principal by her last name, called the principal loud and obnoxious and a psycho, and you say there is no support for Summer?

Your bias is showing.

I sincerely hope that this young woman is rewarded for her academic abilities and for her courage and independence. Similarly, I hope the school district comes to realize that employing a principal to whom blind obedience is more important than education is a detriment to the district and its students.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:56 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
I would note that the school modified its Honors Presentation apparently to avoid a pro Summer demonstration.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Wait, you just shared an entire Facebook post from a student who refers to the principal by her last name, called the principal loud and obnoxious and a psycho, and you say there is no support for Summer?

Your bias is showing.

I sincerely hope that this young woman is rewarded for her academic abilities and for her courage and independence. Similarly, I hope the school district comes to realize that employing a principal to whom blind obedience is more important than education is a detriment to the district and its students.
I am kind of biased, but still kind of in the middle.

This wasn't a student's post, but an adult within the student's family. Yes, the family very much supports Summer and hates Principal Cline.

I don't sense there is any obvious support from the student body for her - but to be fair, that may be out of fear. My guess is the parents of these other students have said don't. you. dare. mess it up for yourself and get kicked out of the graduation ceremony for sticking up for a girl who wants to violate the dress code and publicly humiliate the principal. I sense there must be some support for her - albeit silent - among her classmates.

But again, I am sort of on the fence and would think it would be fair for the superintendent to allow her the chance to walk. On the condition that if she does anything during the ceremony to humiliate Principal Cline (refusing to shake her hand, shooting the finger at her, etc.) she will be charged with the misdemeanor crime of creating a public disturbance and will spend the night of graduation in jail. I really think that would be fair.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I would note that the school modified its Honors Presentation apparently to avoid a pro Summer demonstration.
I've seen that posted - in what way did they alter it, do you know? I've seen pictures of it, and it looked like a very large party with a lot of students honored and a very large section of spectators. It looked, from the pictures, like a high school graduation ceremony. Lots of pics from proud parents on the internet.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:26 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I do agree that sometimes the dress code isn't enforced fairly. It appears to me - in this one news story - that this very smart, very motivated girl had multiple times when she decided she didn't have to follow rules and her mother backed her 100%. That's what it seems to me in this article.

And a girl who has gotten the wrong idea that she doesn't have to follow the rules because Mother says she doesn't have to - is in for kind of a difficult life.

I wonder how this girl would have turned out if her mother instructed her to "pick your battles". Question authority when it's an issue that matters, not that green shirt you want to wear that you know is a violation of the dress code.

Anyway, it seems she's losing out because of the advise she's gotten.
I agree.

This reminds me of when I was a bank manager and was interviewing candidates for the position of personal banker. CLEARLY on the website where they had to fill out their application, the dress code was displayed. I expect potential personal bankers to be able to read and follow clear instructions - and in fact, if you're going to work at a bank, you need to be compliant to policy and procedure and laws, not pushing the envelope.

The dress code clearly stated "no denim." No denim at all - not for men, and not for women. NO DENIM.

I scheduled an interview with a candidate who looked great on paper. She had experience, the right education, etc. But when she walked in, she was wearing a denim jacket. I didn't hire her and it wasn't because I didn't like her jacket (I actually thought it was cute) - I didn't hire her because clearly she couldn't or wouldn't follow the simplest rule and I didn't need anyone like that handling money or confidential information.

The next person I interviewed also looked great on paper. She had a tattoo on her wrist. We were not allowed to have tattoos that were visible. She wore a chunky bracelet that covered the tattoo and she specifically asked if this would work, because she stated she had read the dress code and knew that visible tattoos were prohibited. She also stated that if she got the job, she understood and was totally on board with the fact that she'd have to keep the tattoo covered - and she would do so gladly.

I hired her. And she never violated that rule. She was a great hire.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:55 PM

Here's the YouTube video of the graduation. Summer didn't participate in the ceremony, and there was no mention of her - even a veiled mention about "those who aren't here", but at the very end 3 of the students held up placards that appeared to have her photo in a graduates cap. I was doing other stuff and had this on my screen, so I didn't catch the whole 45+ minute ceremony, but I did see the student council president turn and thank Ms. Cline (alone, the student didn't thank anyone else specifically) for her support, and I caught at least 4 students giving her hugs as they got their diplomas. I didn't see anyone not greet Ms. Cline with enthusiasm.

All in all, a joyful heartfelt celebration.

I really hope Summer can somehow take something from this experience, and learn the VERY valuable lesson of holding her tongue. If you don't have that ability, to hold your tongue and keep a poker face, you can't succeed in life. Choose your battles, Summer, and save your energy for something more than your desire to stick your thumb in the eye of a person who has power over you. That doesn't go well. Don't do this over something as silly as wearing something clearly outside of the dress code. Hopefully she will still have her full scholarship, wherever she is scheduled to attend, and does well. And learns the skill of discernment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsua6WKKbDE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events