Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 11:42 AM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Yes, I think it's clear she was referring to Rosa Parks - who had every reason to take a stand. That was admirable - Black people shouldn't have to go to the back of the bus. Taking a stand when there is a real issue at hand is admirable.

Actually, Parks did go to the back of the bus. She was seated in the "Colored" section when a white man went to that section and demanded she give him her seat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 11:45 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,033 times
Consequences have actions sure, but the punishment doesn't fit this crime.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:57 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,499,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Exactly right. College isn't going to care who can see her collarbones. There's no way she would be subjected to this nonsense in college.
No, but her boss may care.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:20 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Consequences have actions sure, but the punishment doesn't fit this crime.
Maybe not, but she took the risk anyway, not knowing and not caring (at the time) what the consequences might be. For a smart girl it was a really dumb move. I think she must have felt the principle couldn't or wouldn't dare to give such a punishment and that she had the upper hand.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:41 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,021,108 times
Quote:
Yes, I think it's clear she was referring to Rosa Parks - who had every reason to take a stand. That was admirable - Black people shouldn't have to go to the back of the bus. Taking a stand when there is a real issue at hand is admirable.

Just refusing to obey the principal's request isn't admirable, in my opinion. What if EVERY student sat there and refused authority for whatever reason they had and their mothers backed them up in this refusal to comply?

Well...she did obey, in that she put the jacket on, and zipped it up, thus hiding the offending shoulders. THEN the principle decides she needs to change her clothes in 'the situation room'.

And having the School Resource Officer almost ARREST her? For what? Not going to the situation room to change her clothes? The rule had already been established that nothing happen til mom is contacted. The principle knew that, and yet wanted to break THAT already established rule.

I think there's more to the story than we're seeing here.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:49 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Sassy, I think it wasn't a 'rule' that mom had to be called before disciplinary action was taken, I think it was a courtesy the school was willing to comply with if possible.

She refused twice to cover up, saying her shirt was "fine". Then, when she got the jacket on it was time to get the shirt off because all of us know the second that girl was out of eyesight of the principal, the jacket was coming off again.

She didn't get arrested in the end - but what does a principal do with a student who is refusing to move?

I mentor children, and in their school district (not sure if that's true in Summer's school) they can't touch the kids. So if a child is out of control there is no policy of picking them up and moving them to another location - which IMHO is entirely appropriate for elementary school (I understand that's not the case here).

So what's a school admin to do in a case like this? She can't be gently carried off, she won't go willingly, so she wins? The school would completely deteriorate if that were allowed to happen, IMHO.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:55 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Quote:
Sassy, I think it wasn't a 'rule' that mom had to be called before disciplinary action was taken, I think it was a courtesy the school was willing to comply with if possible.

She refused twice to cover up, saying her shirt was "fine". Then, when she got the jacket on it was time to get the shirt off because all of us know the second that girl was out of eyesight of the principal, the jacket was coming off again.

She didn't get arrested in the end - but what does a principal do with a student who is refusing to move?

I mentor children, and in their school district (not sure if that's true in Summer's school) they can't touch the kids. So if a child is out of control there is no policy of picking them up and moving them to another location - which IMHO is entirely appropriate for elementary school (I understand that's not the case here).

So what's a school admin to do in a case like this? She can't be gently carried off, she won't go willingly, so she wins? The school would completely deteriorate if that were allowed to happen, IMHO.
Tell her she can change the shirt or keep the jacket on. Tell her if she gets caught without the jacket on she will get suspended.

Then suspend her if she doesn't comply. Make a big deal of it. Ban her from senior activities.

What you don't do is call the actual police with guns over dress codes. No one is in any danger. That is overkill.

If you're in charge, it's your job to keep your eye on the big picture and not get lost in the moment. The process is not more important than the overall goal.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:59 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Tell her she can change the shirt or keep the jacket on. Tell her if she gets caught without the jacket on she will get suspended.

Then suspend her if she doesn't comply. Make a big deal of it. Ban her from senior activities.

What you don't do is call the actual police with guns over dress codes. No one is in any danger. That is overkill.

If you're in charge, it's your job to keep your eye on the big picture and not get lost in the moment. The process is not more important than the overall goal.
I don't think she called the police - or I might be mistaken. As I understood it, the SRO was already on campus and would be expected to appear in a confrontation between a student and admin or a teacher. He's likely the only one who can actually touch her, to remove her from the auditorium. Because she was refusing to budge.

Interestingly, I'm not seeing anyone sticking up for her. Is anyone seeing that, anywhere? Except her mom, I mean.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:05 PM

390 posts, read 379,714 times
I can see this from both sides.

As the Mom of a 16 year old I can without a doubt tell you there are double standards for different girls. My daughter is 5'-9" and wears a 38DD. Most of what she wears unless it's a freaking tent- is going to show her boobs or her legs. Long arms too so what one girl can get away with she cannot (shorts or skirts must be fingertip length). She wore a super cute outfit to Easter Sunday church last year. Wore it the next day to school and got dress coded. Even the office attendant looked at her and at me and said, "She got coded for THAT??" Maybe teach the boys how to show respect to the girls instead of calling out the "distractions" would be a wiser choice. Trust me, I am not one of these Moms who's daughter runs around in daisy dukes and tube tops. She is very modest and self conscious of her body. I took her home and she changed and went back. Never happened again although I did make my displeasure known.

On the flip side however, there ARE rules in school. They may not be fair. They may show a double standard. You may not like them. But you have to follow them or suffer the consequences.

I see nothing wrong with what she was wearing in the photo I saw however if it was against the rules and she did not comply by putting the jacket on- OK send her home to change or not come back until tomorrow.
But not walking for graduation and suspension??? That's ridiculous.

Did someone here actually call her out because her shirt was tucked in thus drawing attention to her breasts?? We aren't in the Amish community for God's sake.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:07 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Well...she did obey, in that she put the jacket on, and zipped it up, thus hiding the offending shoulders. THEN the principle decides she needs to change her clothes in 'the situation room'.

And having the School Resource Officer almost ARREST her? For what? Not going to the situation room to change her clothes? The rule had already been established that nothing happen til mom is contacted. The principle knew that, and yet wanted to break THAT already established rule.

I think there's more to the story than we're seeing here.
1. I agree with what I think you are saying...that the princiPAL overreacted.

2. I agree that there appears to be nothing here for a resource officer to get involved with. Resource officers should not be involved in "every-day" disciplinary actions. That's for school officials.

3. However, no parent has the right to be called BEFORE disciplinary action takes place. Period. So forget about that being an "established rule".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events