Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 09:02 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Dress code, series of events lead to honor roll student's suspension | KVUE.com

HELLO? If you defy authority publicly, and defy the dress code, sorry, you're going to be suspended.

This girl's mother isn't helping, by declaring that she can't interact with authorities without her mother present.

There is something for standing your ground - and people are to be admired for that. But PLEASE - the dress code? and then publicly disobey the principal, after several requests to comply, I think losing your full ride to college is just what you should expect.

If I were a dean of a college this girl was planning to attend, I wouldn't want her there on a full scholarship. She doesn't understand that you have to obey the rules. And you can't just defy authority because of a shirt you want to wear that is against the rules.
Funny that it's usually the girls who have to follow the rules and get such (faint) praise for doing so and knowing their place. Men are encouraged to be independent thinkers.

Considering the "violation" was quite marginal and subjective...and that she was initially told (and complied) to put a jacket on over the blouse...and then she was confronted with a security guard with their hand on a gun...this is OUTRAGEOUS.

What I see is that she is quite "well-developed" and that definitely worked against her - you can't be smart and "built" at the same time, dontcha know - gotta put her in her place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 09:24 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Funny that it's usually the girls who have to follow the rules and get such (faint) praise for doing so and knowing their place. Men are encouraged to be independent thinkers.

Considering the "violation" was quite marginal and subjective...and that she was initially told (and complied) to put a jacket on over the blouse...and then she was confronted with a security guard with their hand on a gun...this is OUTRAGEOUS.

What I see is that she is quite "well-developed" and that definitely worked against her - you can't be smart and "built" at the same time, dontcha know - gotta put her in her place.
I think a boy openly and publicly defying a principal's requests would be dealt with more harshly than she was, actually. The initial violation was nothing, as I understand it. My guess is, had she put on the borrowed jacket without openly defying the principal, that would have been that. No consequences.

You can't have students doing that - a principal can't run a school if students are allowed to treat themselves as her peers. They aren't. They're subordinates.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:25 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
It would be nice if discipline, intelligence, and academic achievement were as important to the principal as unthinking compliance with her petty rules obviously is.

Why does the mother want to be present for this kind of interaction with the principal? Because the principal has it in for this girl, obviously. I would hope the principal at a good high school would have more important things to deal with than collarbones.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:32 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Girl has an attitude. She's had 4 years of issues with the principal. Sorry, but your mommy doesn't get to dictate that she gets a phone call before you're disciplined. Heck, my mother would have said nothing you can do as principal would be worse than what I'm going to do to her. The girl and her mother sound VERY entitled.

Acting like this in college isn't going to work. College officials aren't going to call your mommy when you screw up. She knew the rules and blatantly said she didn't care....they don't apply to her. How do you like it now?

Old 05-23-2017, 09:33 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Acting like this in college isn't going to work.

Exactly right. College isn't going to care who can see her collarbones. There's no way she would be subjected to this nonsense in college.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:35 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post

I think if the girl in the story wasn't a black girl, people would not be so quick to defend the school.
I couldn't tell you what color her skin is. I was reading the article not studying the person. Couldn't even tell you what color the shirt is or what it looked like. I was surprised to read that her lower back was exposed. I could see that being an issue in many schools especially in a day when many schools have gone to school uniforms. It prevents this sort of thing from happening. Like it or not, she broke the rules and has a long history of doing so.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:39 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

Why does everyone keep saying this is about a shirt? It seems to me, this whole thing is about her open defiance - publicly - of the principal. "My shirt is fine" is NOT the way to respond to the principal - twice - when she is told to cover up a dress code violation.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:46 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Why does everyone keep saying this is about a shirt? It seems to me, this whole thing is about her open defiance - publicly - of the principal. "My shirt is fine" is NOT the way to respond to the principal - twice - when she is told to cover up a dress code violation.
But she did obtain a jacket to get in compliance, which is where the story should have ended. But no, she got a cop with a GUN after that and threatened to have her arrested for insubordination, which isn't even a crime.

This is about a principal who was out of line because of her issues with this girl and needlessly escalated a situation, and a punishment not fitting a crime.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Exactly right. College isn't going to care who can see her collarbones. There's no way she would be subjected to this nonsense in college.
It won't be over dress code, that's true. But I could see this girl - if she doesn't seriously change her attitude and behavior - getting crosswise with a professor and get ordered out of the class and receive an F in the course for defiance.

Her mother has allowed her to think she can behave this way, so it's a little hard to blame Summer. But really, open defiance of a professor's request in a college class wouldn't go over any better than it did in the high school cafeteria.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:50 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
She put on the jacket. Problem solved.

But the principal didn't want to stop there. The school had an agreement with the mom not to do anything before she was called. When they couldn't reach the mom, they decided to proceed anyway. That's on THEM. The girl, now stuck between her mom's instructions and the school's, had to choose. She choose to wait for her mom as had been previously agreed on.

So now the principal wants to go HAM and ruin some kid's scholarships because he chose not to honor the agreement? Calling actual police with guns? Was she a security threat?

This is foolish. If you want to punish her fine, but ruining the next few years of her life is completely out of line. Over pride? She's a teenager. If you can't work with teenagers - who will of course make mistakes, as is developmentally appropriate - then this is not the job for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events