Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 12:34 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,899,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
What comes from the cow that jumped over the moon? Rocket fuel?

Green cheese, obviously. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 02:44 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,932,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
True story...

I was once discussing with an adult how there is one particular type of corn kernel that is used to make popcorn. They started arguing with me about how "there are many, many different types of popcorn kernels, including kettle corn, cheddar corn, caramel corn, butter corn..."

This chocolate cow story reminds me of that popcorn argument I had...
I will admit to not knowing, until just a few years ago, that POPCORN was in fact a special breed of corn and that plain old regular corn-on-the-cob type corn does not POP.

AS TO THE OP ... methinks 7 percent of American adults knew they were being surveyed and lied about their knowledge of chocolate milk just to mess with the surveyors!

Old 06-17-2017, 05:19 AM

823 posts, read 1,975,135 times
I wonder if they think white coffee comes from albino coffe beans?

Old 06-17-2017, 05:35 AM

350 posts, read 477,912 times
Used to raise and sell eggs. Same thing, people thought the brown chickens laid brown eggs and white chickens laid white eggs !

We did foster care for awhile. Had a youngster who was excited to see chickens. We went to barn and I started pointing which were hens and which were roosters. He turns to me and asks: "Where are the chickens?"

Oh, and we also raised ducks and sold duck eggs. Got more than a couple 'yucks.' How can you eat those? It's unborn ducklings! (Do you know what a chicken egg is?)

Old 06-17-2017, 05:41 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,819,312 times
Quote:
Seven percent of all American adults believe that chocolate milk comes from brown cows, according to a nationally representative online survey commissioned by the Innovation Center of U.S. Dairy.

If you do the math, that works out to 16.4 million misinformed, milk-drinking people. The equivalent of the population of Pennsylvania (and then some!) does not know that chocolate milk is milk, cocoa and sugar.
--
When one team of researchers interviewed fourth-, fifth- and sixth-graders at an urban California high school, they found that more than half of them didn't know pickles were cucumbers, or that onions and lettuce were plants. Four in 10 didn't know that hamburgers came from cows. And 3 in 10 didn't know that cheese is made from milk.
Seven percent?

Frankly, I'm astonished that it's so low.

Seriously. Considering the far higher percentages of people who believe that the world is 6000 years old, and a whole suite of utterly idiotic conspiracy theories - vaccines cause autism, global warming is either false or natural, ghosts are real, etc. - a mere seven percent looks to me like a monumental triumph of education in comparison.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:46 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I have a difficult time believing that anyone, anywhere, no matter their age, would believe that chocolate milk comes from brown cows. Nope. It's merely proof that polls are #@$%!

Lol, that may be just the point behind this thread. That polls and statistics are total BS. Any and every poll or "study" can and will be skewed to get the results those conducting it want to see. Completely agenda driven.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:33 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,949,984 times
I find it hard to believe that people can be so stupid....if this poll is true, it's downright scary.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:40 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Wow, I guess I really did get a good education (or have good parents). I always knew that chickens lay eggs and understood that chocolate milk was originally white milk that had chocolate added to it at a factory.

My weakness on the other hand, is developing any sort of faith in people who are so stupid that they think brown cows produce chocolate milk.
Yeah, or didn't the parents of these idiots ever make them chocolate milk at home? We even used to make strawberry milk. Hershey's chocolate and strawberry syrups. I used to love to pour and mix it myself (with supervision to ensure I didn't pour the whole bottle haha). I just think these people had sad childhoods.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:42 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,294,120 times
While I agree there are plenty of stupid people, I'm curious about the context of this poll. Would anyone else check the chocolate milk comes from brown cows box just for the heck of it? Ask a stupid question and you will get a stupid answer.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:48 AM

509 posts, read 485,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
agricultural illiteracy.
Your 7% figure doesn't look so shocking when you consider that 8.9% of Americans have an IQ below 80.

https://edubloxtutor.com/iq-test-scores/

Also 18.2% of Americans have some form of mental illness.

Nearly 1 in 5 Americans Suffers From Mental Illness Each Year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events