Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 05:53 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times

Advertisements

Unreliable statistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 06:03 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Of course there are also those who will answer yes because they think it's a stupid question to start with and are just messing with everyone's heads.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:34 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,629,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
but chocolate easter bunnies do exist, how else do we get those candy?

same with marshmallow chickens
When I was a kid I thought marshmallows grew at the bottom of toilet stools.
But I'm more smarter now.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:40 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
My cousin told me that, about the chocolate milk from brown cows, way back when I was about 8 or 9. I believed it! He lived on a dairy farm, I lived in the city....

Old 06-16-2017, 07:49 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
The state of our educational system?

When I was talking about popcorn kernels, we were at a midwest Orville Redenbacher yellow corn field with a group of kids and the woman was earnestly scanning the fields to find where the cheddar cheese and caramel variety of cornstalks were planted so she could show the kids. I had to patiently explain how food flavoring works.
I'm not sure I would blame the education system. Some people aren't necessarily stupid, but don't possess the cognitive logical function to make simple connections like that. It's as if they never grew past their assumptions from childhood. There's only so much a teacher can do.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:10 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
True story...

I was once discussing with an adult how there is one particular type of corn kernel that is used to make popcorn. They started arguing with me about how "there are many, many different types of popcorn kernels, including kettle corn, cheddar corn, caramel corn, butter corn..."

This chocolate cow story reminds me of that popcorn argument I had...
Field corn won't pop? I was raised on a farm. When I was 5, my cousin and I decided we wanted some popcorn so went to the corn crib and shelled a couple ears of corn into a bucket. We didn't know how to get it to pop so went to the gas tank and poured some gasoline over it to light it. I spilled some gas on my shirt, so when we lit the match my shirt burst into flames. I took off running as fast as I could, and luckily I was clumsy enough that I tripped, which put out the flame. 65 years later I still have the scars on my chest to prove it.

At that age, I doubt you could have convinced me that chocolate milk came from brown cows (since we had brown milk cows), but you could have convinced me of about anything else.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:14 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times
You mean it doesn't?

Old 06-16-2017, 08:15 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
It does come from brown cows, duh!

Old 06-16-2017, 08:41 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Twins: We used to be asked quite often if our boy/girl twins were identical.
We simply said "No." and continued on about our business.
Chocolate milk from brown cows: We used to tell tourists that at any and every opportunity. It never occurred to us that there would be people who believed it!
When, as a teenager, I made a trip to the old home town in PA, I made sure I had as many silver dollars as I could get. I sold them to the kids in town for $2 each.
By the way, those steaks and roasts in the meat counter are pieces of old dead cows (or steers). They don't just magically appear in the plastic packages.
Cheese is rotten milk that has been hiding in a cave for weeks or months.
Eggs are chicken embryos.
Bacon is salt cured slices from the abdominal wall of a pig.
Ham is the back leg of a pig, cured with salt and sugar, then smoked.
Shrimp, lobsters, and crabs are sea-going bugs.
Caviar is processed fish eggs.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:58 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Agreed, I once had a 5 minute argument with an adult that it was biologically impossible for my twin sister and I to be identical. Not surprisingly I realized there was no point and just started shaking my head and nodding. I am also reminded.
Lmao no way! Having a twin must be awesome, I've learned some interesting things about paternal twins in criminology.

Back to this topic, I wish I could consume dairy products I love strawberry and chocolate milk... My stomach hates it though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events