Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 10:44 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,189,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post

Sometimes I think these surveys only survey people between the age of 7-13. I know I'm probably ignorant
about something but some of these surveys makes me have to wonder how was the question frazed and who was asked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
What comes from the cow that jumped over the moon? Rocket fuel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Green cheese, obviously. LOL
I was going to answer cheese of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 10:44 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,214,560 times
Well it could come from brown cows before the sugar and cocoa is add.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:09 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I believe it.

I was in a conversation with an acquaintance once about raising backyard chickens for eggs. A friend of the acquaintance turned to me with a look of snobbish shock on her face (obviously think I was an idiot) and asked, "What the hell do chickens have to do with eggs?"

I just stared back, flabbergasted, and her friend got red in the face and tried to explain things to her while I walked away.
This story has been going around, usually in the form of "I overheard two women on a New York subway." Did this actually happen to you?

Old 06-17-2017, 12:44 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,706,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
...A friend of the acquaintance turned to me with a look of snobbish shock on her face (obviously think I was an idiot) and asked, "What the hell do chickens have to do with eggs?"
This was just a newfangled management-strategy for resolving the question, of whether the chicken or the egg came first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Seven percent?

Frankly, I'm astonished that it's so low.
Exactly! First, given any set of questions, some percentage of the population will be flustered and confused. It's not even a matter of ignorance or ossified beliefs. Ask 100 people if 2+2 = 4 or 5, and chances are, that some percentage will answer "5". Second, there's always going to be some percentage of the populace that's woefully ignorant. It's not a consistent cohort... some people are ignorant of current-events, others of science, others of what might be termed common-sense. This 7% statistic is surprising... I would have expected it to be around 20%. Then again, what's the old adage - 78% of statistics are made up on the spot?

Old 06-17-2017, 12:51 PM

417 posts, read 345,400 times
I had someone argue with me that you needed a rooster to get eggs from a hen.

I've had multiple people come to the farm and not be able to tell the difference between a cow and a bull

People believe you kill a sheep to get it's wool.

I've had people no kidding tell me you kill a chicken to get eggs.

People honestly believe milk has puss in it and farmers can milk a cow that's been treated with antibiotics...

People are very removed from the farm.

Old 06-17-2017, 01:17 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,381,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Agreed, I once had a 5 minute argument with an adult that it was biologically impossible for my twin sister and I to be identical. Not surprisingly I realized there was no point and just started shaking my head and nodding. I am also reminded.
Twins are not identical, cloned sheep are not either.

Old 06-17-2017, 01:25 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Back to this topic, I wish I could consume dairy products I love strawberry and chocolate milk... My stomach hates it though!
Strawberry milk? How the hell do you milk a strawberry?!?!

Old 06-17-2017, 03:17 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,000,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
agricultural illiteracy.
I'm trying to think of what class they would teach that? Maybe the city kids need a farm field trip.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:53 PM

9,085 posts, read 6,308,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm trying to think of what class they would teach that? Maybe the city kids need a farm field trip.
It should be an ongoing science topic in early elementary school. Maybe it is a sign of the times, but my parents taught me general knowledge about animals before I even entered kindergarten. Of course the suburban town I lived in as a child had a handful of agricultural sites still in operation at that time. All but one of those are long gone now...replaced with condominium complexes and SFH cul-de-sacs.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:31 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,251,556 times
Quote:
brown cow
How now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events