Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 05:35 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,894,388 times

Advertisements

I should be shocked but instead just am dismayed.

People believe the young earth theory despite a preponderance of evidence supporting evolutionary theory.

Maybe it isn't so shocking to find that some are not informed about agricultural matters, even the most basic ones.

I knew a family who moved to a country location and they bought 3 goats along with some other farm animals for a little hobby farm. I was visiting one day and one of them commented that the goats had not become pregnant yet and they were kind of disappointed about that. Now I grew up in the suburbs and the only animals I had been exposed to were cats, dogs, and the small furry types. One of the family then commented that goats were females and should all get pregnant easily...

I informed them, as nicely as possible, that their goats would need a MALE goat if they wanted baby goats...

Wonder where they got the idea that female goats somehow could spontaneously become pregnant without the help of a male?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 05:52 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
This story has been going around, usually in the form of "I overheard two women on a New York subway." Did this actually happen to you?
Yes. I'm surprised it's a thing. Maybe more people don't know what eggs are than I thought.

I've met maybe a dozen or so people in my life who thought eggs were dairy products since they were on nearby shelves in the supermarket too.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:33 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,323,601 times
I still can't figure out how storks get those little helpless babies down the chimney.

Especially at Christmastime with Santa and his eight deer landings and bounding up and down.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:40 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Yes. I'm surprised it's a thing. Maybe more people don't know what eggs are than I thought.

I've met maybe a dozen or so people in my life who thought eggs were dairy products since they were on nearby shelves in the supermarket too.
There is a big difference in misunderstanding the scope of the category "dairy" and thinking that eggs pop out of a cow's a$$.

I suspect most people that consider eggs to be dairy assume that chickens are raised on the same farms as milk cows or something. Or that 'dairy' is a category of food that requires refrigeration. Ignorant to be sure, but not stupid beyond comprehension.

Even children and the mentally disabled know that birds lay eggs.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:00 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,407,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Strawberry milk? How the hell do you milk a strawberry?!?!
Have the cows eat at a strawberry patch.

Waiting for the blueberries to get into season and then blue milk . . .

Old 06-17-2017, 11:44 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,565,409 times
I'll change "surprising" with "disconcerting", "alarming", "head-scratching", etc.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:19 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,549,501 times
Americans who believe chocolate milk comes from brown cows? Not remotely surprising.

Some will also argue with a stranger wearing the sports jersey of an opposing team, and many know FAR more about the Kardashians than they do our own history. I still don't quite grasp how they don't understand the difference between 'your' and 'you're', but hey, it's not important, the game is about to come on.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:21 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,549,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I should be shocked but instead just am dismayed.

People believe the young earth theory despite a preponderance of evidence supporting evolutionary theory.

Maybe it isn't so shocking to find that some are not informed about agricultural matters, even the most basic ones.

I knew a family who moved to a country location and they bought 3 goats along with some other farm animals for a little hobby farm. I was visiting one day and one of them commented that the goats had not become pregnant yet and they were kind of disappointed about that. Now I grew up in the suburbs and the only animals I had been exposed to were cats, dogs, and the small furry types. One of the family then commented that goats were females and should all get pregnant easily...

I informed them, as nicely as possible, that their goats would need a MALE goat if they wanted baby goats...

Wonder where they got the idea that female goats somehow could spontaneously become pregnant without the help of a male?

My dear god.We need a massive meteor to strike this planet immediately.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:29 AM

350 posts, read 477,478 times
Marie Joseph ... you reminded me of my friend who buys and sells a lot of horses. She and her husband went to look at a young horse in MD. The owner bragged and bragged about how nice the horse was, then 'confessed' because he wanted to be totally up front with them, that he'd had the horse for several years and he'd never bred any of his mares.

The horses was a GELDING.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:34 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
No surprised. Remember Jay Leno's Jaywalk series? Or Jessica Simpson thinking that Chicken of the Sea canned tuna was chicken?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events