Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 04:59 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I agree with you, but... I also agree with this:

Schools don't just slap you on the wrist for fighting/punching anyone anymore. I got away with retaliation against a bully when I was in 8th grade myself (and again after moving at 14), and it worked wonders. Both times. BUT, fast forward a decade and a half or so later, kids are getting arrested for things like this. Kids are also bringing guns to school and stabbing each other more than they used to. Society has changed.
Just look at bar fights, for instance. One used to be able to get in a fist fight, win or lose, and move on.
Now, either people are getting arrested or shot.

I've taught my kids to counter bullies verbally in the event that anyone picks on them. Find ways to make other people laugh AT the bully if he picks on you first. A bully getting laughed at is an ego-killer. But punching/hitting them? Not anymore. Not unless they are physically harmed or threatened first.
Dear heart...that is mostly a perception based on the media. People still get in bar fights all the time without being arrested or shot.

But I do agree, in general, our society trends to being less tolerant of violent behaviors. Be it at school or in a bar. There is more chances for evidence, with the cell cam so it isn't just people's word. And there is less allowance for violence in those situations.

Isn't that a good thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 07:45 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
The best response to a bully always has been and still is a punch in the nose. Times change; people do not. Imagine what would have happened to the bully who targeted John F. Kennedy or Donald Trump: a punch, a bloody nose, then tears. Bullies are the quickest to cry.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:07 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
These kids are not only apeing the behavior their parents are modeling for them, the parents have also armed these sixth grade demon spawn with smartphones. One of the few discernible quotes was 'it's going on instagram.' This is outrageous. The bus driver should not allow these kids to have their phones out - the teachers don't allow them in the classroom either. Time to make some swift policy changes.

Would all of this have gone on if they didn't have their phones out?

Old 04-24-2018, 09:21 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
If the bus driver tried to regain order do you think the kids would actually listen to him?

Old 04-24-2018, 09:26 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Enroll the kid in a boxing or martial arts class.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:26 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
If the bus driver tried to regain order do you think the kids would actually listen to him?
Yes.

If the bus driver told the kids the bus won't move until everyone is seated in their seats and quiet, they'd shut up and sit down.

The bus driver might have to pull over a couple times. But yes. These are elementary school kids.

They'll sit down and pipe down if the bus driver won't take them home until they do.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:23 PM

4,905 posts, read 2,058,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Yes.

If the bus driver told the kids the bus won't move until everyone is seated in their seats and quiet, they'd shut up and sit down.

The bus driver might have to pull over a couple times. But yes. These are elementary school kids.

They'll sit down and pipe down if the bus driver won't take them home until they do.
Not going to happen... Period.

In most school Districts, bus drivers are contracted out and part of their contact is that they're not responsible for disciplining these little monsters. The bus companies are not looking to get sued by some enabling loser parent because their little bad-@zz Johny or Suzy are really little angels and the bus driver is a Wanna-be Cop or Drill Sergeant... And our courts are so screwed up anymore that they will side against the bus driver during a civil hearing. I'm pretty sure that it would take a lot for a bus driver to pull over in order to gain control AND not violate their company's policy or agreed service contract, so, IMHO, "I" really can't fault the driver at all.

...That's like faulting a minimum wage unarmed security guard for not stopping a bank robbery... That's not the job of an unarmed security guard AND yes, I've seen unarmed security guards in a bank... which is pretty stupid.

Anyway!! I'm not saying that this is right, but it's the reality of today's world. Heck, back in the mid 70s our school bus driver was a wounded Vietnam War veteran with "issues." All he ever did was slam on the brakes and called out the trouble maker(s), which always worked since he scared the crap out of us!! Those days are now long gone and now, Law and Order are simply bad words since everybody is basically "a very special person" AND just need a group hug or trophy to be understood.

I truly hope the little boy will be OK since that was heartbreaking to even watch it.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:09 AM

11,789 posts, read 5,798,330 times
Bullying will always be there - but the bullying use to go on in places where adults wouldn't see it - on the walk home from school or after you got off the bus. There is a total lack of respect from many kids these days and they aren't taught empathy and don't know what a consequence is.

I remember after the whole - kids have rights campaign started. My son threatened to call the cops on my husband for "verbally assaulting" him because my son had done something wrong. My husband's response - you better call for an ambulance first because by the time the cops get here - you'll need it. Neither child ever threatened to call the cops again. My kids were never beaten - when younger they may get a quick swat across the butt - or have to wash their own mouths out with soap - punishment was mostly taking away a privilege - but at that moment - my son thought he had the upper hand - not...

These days tho - you can't offer any kind of discipline - it's not accepted and as a result we have kids who fear no one and will do whatever they want.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:25 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Dear heart...that is mostly a perception based on the media. People still get in bar fights all the time without being arrested or shot.

But I do agree, in general, our society trends to being less tolerant of violent behaviors. Be it at school or in a bar. There is more chances for evidence, with the cell cam so it isn't just people's word. And there is less allowance for violence in those situations.

Isn't that a good thing?
What??? I agree with the other poster. Years ago it was much more common to have a one on one fight and move on. Now you are risking a lot more by fighting someone. First of all, one on one fights are less common. There is a good chance that if someone has friends around, it could be one vs many. There are countless stories about 2 people fighting and then a group coming in to beat down the other person (just look on YouTube lol). Plus, there are countless stories where people get into a simple fight, and one person comes back with a gun. The weekly/monthly school shootings that we hear about is evidence that there is no less tolerance for violence at school. A lot of those incidents involved kids who were bullied, so I don't think there's less tolerance for violent behaviors at schools or bars. That's why I make it a point to never fight or engage in road rage, etc (unless my life or my family's life is on the line). Nowadays, you never know how the other person will react or what they'll do. It's better to lose your pride than for it to escalate to something worse.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:11 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
The driver should have pulled over and restored order. If some adults complained later, driver could let them know that it is unsafe to drive a school bus full of children while there's a loud disturbance going on inside the bus. Any number of things could happen not the least of which is a collision. The school administrators should stand firmly behind the driver on this. Then the principal should give the parents/guardians of every one of the troublemakers a written account of their child's behavior, with a warning. The next time their child engages in bad behavior on the school bus will be the last time their child is on the school bus.
I agree. Stop the bus until there is order on the bus. If they don't stop, the bus driver should call the police. If the parents don't like it, ask them if they'd feel the same if it was their child getting bullied???!!??

The bullies should also be disciplined with one week OFF the bus. If they are so tough, let them walk or let their "mommies" drive them to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events