Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2018, 12:44 PM

10,762 posts, read 5,680,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
True,

La carne de res
beef
la carne molida
ground beef
asado
roasted
el bistéc
steak

But you'd get raised eyebrows around here ordering it that way.

FIFY.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:18 PM

5,583 posts, read 6,512,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I love the enchirito too. For a while they stopped making it when they came out with the smothered burrito, but it’s back now.
Yea, I was devastated when they dropped the "enchirito" because it was the only thing I would order. So I went for the "Mexican Pizza" and found it to be a winner for a "crunchy" choice. I was thrilled when they brought the "enchirito" back. These are my only purchases even to this day. Oh, I do sometimes order a side of "pintos and cheese" and the carmel apple empanada for dessert. Very unique item.

Taco Bell's were few and far between "back in the day", even when I moved to Texas back in the early 2000's. Now, they are everywhere in my city and it is not such a treat anymore.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:14 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,580,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
It's not a matter of self-appointment - it's just having a clue.
Having a personal preference isn't the same as having a clue. So what if someone likes Taco Bell more, it doesn't mean they don't understand what Tex Mex or street food tastes like. It just means they like something different than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Calling Taco Bell a Mexican Restaurant is like calling McDonalds a steak place because they serve hamburgers. I have to be desperate and broke to eat at either one.
No, I'd call McDonald's a hamburger place because they mainly server burgers. Their burgers aren't as good as lots of higher priced burger chains, but it doesn't mean they aren't burgers. Taco Bell is a cheapo version of Tex Mex style, which is usually accepted as "Mexican food" by people despite much of the menu not being common in Mexico, so it's absurd to disparage the style.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:20 PM

Strangely Taco Bell is the big chain I see the least overseas. McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut, Dunkin Donuts, KFC, hell even Popeyes seem to be everywhere, way more common than Taco Bell.

There are a couple Taco Bells in Seoul, I have no idea why maybe lots of American military near 'em. We've also seen 'em in El Salvador, Guatemala, and Colombia. Never seen one in Mexico.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:47 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Very common in Texas (don't know where that poster lives). Mom and Pop restaurants, often teeny tiny and not generally visited by "gringos". Sometimes sketchy neighborhoods, and that throws people off. But excellent homemade Mexican food.
I eat at authentic Mexican restaurants all the time, and no way is it as cheap as Taco Bell over here. But I know that Texas in general (and most of the US) has a much lower cost of living/doing business than NYC.

3 tacos and a drink at a hole in the wall place in a heavily Mexican neighborhood in Brooklyn or Queens would cost me about 10 dollars, Taco Bell I can fill myself up with 5 dollars or less.

I have no problem paying more for actual Mexican food, though.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:31 PM

I lived in Phoenix for many years, and I also question whether eating at a hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant is cheaper than the Bell. We hit many a local joint and you're usually talking $6 even for the lunch specials, you throw in a drink + tax + tip and you're walking up on $9.

You can pay $9 at Taco Bell but it isn't the norm, at least not the last time I was there.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:59 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,638,098 times
If you want real Mexican food you go to a real Mexican restaurant, if you want faux Mexican food you go to Taco Bell,

Old 05-13-2018, 10:08 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I lived in Phoenix for many years, and I also question whether eating at a hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant is cheaper than the Bell. We hit many a local joint and you're usually talking $6 even for the lunch specials, you throw in a drink + tax + tip and you're walking up on $9.

You can pay $9 at Taco Bell but it isn't the norm, at least not the last time I was there.

Not in Tucson either. Both Taco Bell and my favorite, El Pollo Loco are much cheaper than the local places. In the case of EPL, the food is a lot better than the local (or should I say Mexican owned) chains.

I am not a real fan of Taco Bell BUT nearly the local taqueria is closed down by 8 pm every night as are all of the mom and pop Mexican sit-down restaurants. What is most irritating is that despite having POSTED close times of 8 pm, you would probably NOT be seated if you arrive after 7:30 pm.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:14 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,458,823 times
I never understood the draw of Taco Bell...until I married a "northerner"....OMG, TB is AMAZING compared to little Mexican chain type place in South Dakota!!!!

Also, when we lived in Hawaii, TB was about the BEST Mexican food you could get on island, so I think understanding its draw might be lost on those of us fortunate (or unfortunate enough depending on your perspective) that happen to live in parts of the US that great little mom and pop type of authentic Mexican food is available in. (something about enjoying all that great food too often tends to make your clothes shrink)......

Old 05-14-2018, 05:33 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,088,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Strangely Taco Bell is the big chain I see the least overseas. McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut, Dunkin Donuts, KFC, hell even Popeyes seem to be everywhere, way more common than Taco Bell.

There are a couple Taco Bells in Seoul, I have no idea why maybe lots of American military near 'em. We've also seen 'em in El Salvador, Guatemala, and Colombia. Never seen one in Mexico.
It isn't for lack of trying. Taco Bell has been trying to open international locations since the 1980s. Every attempt has been pretty much universally rejected in every country. Taco Bell just closes up shop, waits a few years, then reopens them again. Only to be rejected again. These fast food corporations just don't take no, for an answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events