Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2018, 02:34 AM

17,755 posts, read 9,208,286 times

Advertisements

27.5% of New York City is Hispanic.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:42 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
No it doesn't.

Mexicans are less than 4% of the population of NYC.

Are you familiar with New York at all?
NYC has 8.5+ million people, so that's a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
There are almost half a million Mexicans living in NYC. That number is bigger than the entire population of a lot of US cities. I'd say that is a pretty large Mexican population. It's certainly not as big as LA or something, but it is a large population.

Demographics of New York City - Wikipedia
Thank you. And that was from 2010, just imagine what it will be in 2020. There are 20+ neighborhoods in NYC with a sizable to large Mexican population. Countless restaurants/taco trucks run by Mexicans catering to Mexican immigrants and their children exist, and they serve the same things he mentioned and more.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:48 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,502,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
27.5% of New York City is Hispanic.
But not Mexican. Of the Hispanic population in NYC, 13.5 % are Mexican. And this whole thing is silly! The article about Taco Bell is silly because it's a huge chain, very recognizable. It might very well be "America's favorite Mexican Restaurant", but that's because it's everywhere. Statistically it makes sense that it would be voted favorite, because what do most states have in common when it comes to fast "Mexican" food? Taco Bell. It's not going to be Del Taco or Taco Bueno or others because they have fewer stores.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
But not Mexican. Of the Hispanic population in NYC, 13.5 % are Mexican. And this whole thing is silly! The article about Taco Bell is silly because it's a huge chain, very recognizable. It might very well be "America's favorite Mexican Restaurant", but that's because it's everywhere. Statistically it makes sense that it would be voted favorite, because what do most states have in common when it comes to fast "Mexican" food? Taco Bell. It's not going to be Del Taco or Taco Bueno or others because they have fewer stores.
Yeah, but half a million Mexicans in one city proper is a lot. I live in the area and they have a large presence in many neighborhoods, in all 5 boroughs.

But your second point, you're totally right. I said the same thing earlier, of course the most common "Mexican" restaurant in the US, that also happens to be the cheapest major fast food chain, is going to be the most popular.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:19 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,502,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Yeah, but half a million Mexicans in one city proper is a lot. I live in the area and they have a large presence in many neighborhoods, in all 5 boroughs.

But your second point, you're totally right. I said the same thing earlier, of course the most common "Mexican" restaurant in the US, that also happens to be the cheapest major fast food chain, is going to be the most popular.
I just had to point to that statistic (13.5% of Hispanics in the NY boroughs are Mexican) because where I live so many people assume all people of Hispanic descent are Mexican, and the other poster gave a stat for "Hispanic" rather than Mexican. You live in NY so I'm sure you get it! All of South America, Central America, the Caribbean...there.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:38 AM

Quote:
I just had to point to that statistic (13.5% of Hispanics in the NY boroughs are Mexican) because where I live so many people assume all people of Hispanic descent are Mexican, and the other poster gave a stat for "Hispanic" rather than Mexican. You live in NY so I'm sure you get it! All of South America, Central America, the Caribbean...there.
That's understandable! And yeah, no one group really dominates here, at least 5 or 6 Hispanic groups have a large presence. But I do think the city's Mexican population is larger than many people seem to realize, and their presence seems to be expanding.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:57 AM

17,755 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
I just had to point to that statistic (13.5% of Hispanics in the NY boroughs are Mexican) because where I live so many people assume all people of Hispanic descent are Mexican, and the other poster gave a stat for "Hispanic" rather than Mexican.
No such assumption. The 27.5 Hispanic population is relevant though. Most (not all) Hispanic type restaurants are lumped into the Mexican category.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:24 AM

17,211 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
No such assumption. The 27.5 Hispanic population is relevant though. Most (not all) Hispanic type restaurants are lumped into the Mexican category.
No. Not at all...

Old 05-16-2018, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
No. Not at all...
Yeah, Dominican food for instance is much different

Old 05-16-2018, 05:42 AM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post

There’s really no other way, if they are polling people across the country. I’m guessing all they had to choose from in the list were chains. Someone in Iowa might only have been to Taco Bell and never heard of Del Taco, so it becomes the “favorite” simply because it’s the one more people have tried. They might have a local Mexican place they love, but it wouldn’t be included on a national polling list as one of the choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events