Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2018, 04:34 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
If you mean mom-and-pop shops, I agree. Usually their food doesn't really cost much more. They are usually not as fast, but generally they have real food, made fresh, not processed fast food crap. Plus your money is going to real people, not some multinational corporation.

You haven't worked in many, have you? They are more likely to cut corners, buy the cheapest ingredients, and fail to have money to pay their staff at the end of the month.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:08 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,455,888 times
How pathetic.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:46 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,084,030 times
I haven't eaten there in quite a while. There aren't any in my area, but I remember it as good for its price, lol.

It hardly beats my all-time favorite Mexican food, but if I cant get a full dressed pork burrito with green chilies, or scrambled eggs with green chili sauce and sopaipillas with honey for breakfast, I don't consider it the best anyways.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:15 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
This thread is making me hungry

Old 05-20-2018, 08:33 PM

386 posts, read 327,411 times
Cheap food is cheap. People are cheap.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:06 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdude222 View Post
Cheap food is cheap. People are cheap.
People aren't 'cheap,' they're strapped. We want to treat ourselves (which is natural, and very human - especially when you're on the dull "eat so you can get to work so you can make money so you can eat" train) but a fair percentage of Americans are just getting by, and a few more are doing fairly well but still like to pinch pennies.

So we have things like Taco Bell. In the 30s it was movies for a nickel. We have our 'fun' in ways we can manage to afford, which IMO isn't a crime.

As for actual restaurants worth their (sorry) salt, I haven't found one yet that was as cheap as, say, Del Taco (I can't say TB specifically as I never eat there, I hate the weird taste of their meat), especially when you figure in the tip and your drinks, even if they're soft drinks. A few people insist they have. Great. That's good. I don't think that is MOST people's experience (and great joy) so...I refer you back to paragraph 1 above.

I have some "real" restaurants I love. Occasionally. Very occasionally. We are smart about our money. Most of the time, I cook something here. And then once in a blue moon we just want to do cheap Taco Tuesday and we do it at Del Taco. I'm not "a cheap" person, I AM reasonably intelligent, and I do have taste. This thread has gone the way of the totally mental at this point. Cultural v. racial v. heritage definitions of island v. Mexican Hispanic heritage, city and national demographics, and people pretending to be superior because they don't love Taco Bell as their first choice in even pretend-Mexican food. As to that latter, I'm sorry to tell you all that that is NOT an accomplishment, LOL.

Oh, this place sometimes. It gets funny around here.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:53 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,088,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
You haven't worked in many, have you? They are more likely to cut corners, buy the cheapest ingredients, and fail to have money to pay their staff at the end of the month.
Actually I have worked for them. I agree that mom and pop places are not a guarantee of good food. But generally they are a lot better then chain places. The ones who cut corners, probably don't stay in business very long.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:30 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
Hardly surprising... 'Merika! Disgusting. I can't even imagine putting that crap into my body.
It is hardly surprising that at least one random, anonymous person on an internet forum has an opinion you don't like.

Why that fact inspired you to disparagingly misspell "America", is beyond me, though.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:40 AM

23 posts, read 15,397 times
Ooooooooh, a foodie competition!!

Well the Mexican restaurant in my city is so authentic....They just built a wall around it and charged it to Taco bell !

Heyyooooo!

Old 05-21-2018, 09:10 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
People aren't 'cheap,' they're strapped. We want to treat ourselves (which is natural, and very human - especially when you're on the dull "eat so you can get to work so you can make money so you can eat" train) but a fair percentage of Americans are just getting by, and a few more are doing fairly well but still like to pinch pennies.

So we have things like Taco Bell. In the 30s it was movies for a nickel. We have our 'fun' in ways we can manage to afford, which IMO isn't a crime.

As for actual restaurants worth their (sorry) salt, I haven't found one yet that was as cheap as, say, Del Taco (I can't say TB specifically as I never eat there, I hate the weird taste of their meat), especially when you figure in the tip and your drinks, even if they're soft drinks. A few people insist they have. Great. That's good. I don't think that is MOST people's experience (and great joy) so...I refer you back to paragraph 1 above.

I have some "real" restaurants I love. Occasionally. Very occasionally. We are smart about our money. Most of the time, I cook something here. And then once in a blue moon we just want to do cheap Taco Tuesday and we do it at Del Taco. I'm not "a cheap" person, I AM reasonably intelligent, and I do have taste. This thread has gone the way of the totally mental at this point. Cultural v. racial v. heritage definitions of island v. Mexican Hispanic heritage, city and national demographics, and people pretending to be superior because they don't love Taco Bell as their first choice in even pretend-Mexican food. As to that latter, I'm sorry to tell you all that that is NOT an accomplishment, LOL.

Oh, this place sometimes. It gets funny around here.
Exactly, I love real Mexican food, but in my experience it's definitely not as cheap as fast food "Mexican" like Taco Bell. I can always fill up for 5 dollars at Taco Bell, which is great when I'm drunk and broke. Especially at 2AM when there's hardly anything else open.

The legit Mexican restaurants I go to that serve a predominately Mexican/Chicano clientele will probably run at least 10 dollars a for say, 4 full sized tacos and a drink (not even counting tip), and if you get an actual dish like Mole Poblano or Molcajete, it might be close to 20 dollars or more.

Why do people think Mexican food is supposed to be dirt cheap? Anthony Bourdain talked about this and I agree with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events