Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2018, 02:03 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,580,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Taco Bell is junk. Google the quality of the meat they use. They survive because people are lazy to make their own or too cheap to dine at an authentic, sit down Mexican restaurant.
I'll take you up on that:

88% beef
12% other ingredients for the flavoring and texture

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/taco...ry?id=23514878
Quote:
Registered dietician Katherine Tallmadge said these additives to the beef are commonly used in processed foods you would find in the grocery store. "These are generally considered safe additives," Tallmadge told USA TODAY Network. "I wouldn't be afraid of any of these ingredients."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ients/8501981/
Quote:
Derek Lowe, a chemist and blogger with a Ph.D. from Duke University, said he sympathizes with people who are surprised these ingredients are food, but he said he has "no patience" with the general argument, "I can't pronounce it, so I won't eat it." "There's nothing on this list I have a problem eating," he said.
Taco Bell's Beef Isn't Real Beef - Fact or Myth?
Quote:
Taco Bell isn’t any different from anything else you eat. Almost everything we eat out or buy is chock full of sugar, soy, and corn derivatives. Generally, none has nutritional value on their own and shouldn’t be consumed in large amounts. Considering the amount in a given taco, you are just fine.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:08 PM

3,319 posts, read 2,341,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Perhaps large majority of Americans simply don't have access to quality Mexican (or similar) fare of quality meals?
Probably has more to do with Taco Bell being quick and cheap.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:23 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,580,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The menu in Sonora is nothing like the menu in Oaxaca. The menu in Quintana Roo is nothing like the menu in Jalisco. Tex-Mex has more in common with the adjacent "authentic" cuisine in northern Mexico than northern Mexican cuisine has with other parts of Mexico.
It's just silly to hear someone saying people who like Taco Bell should try real Mexican food when their "real" consists of a big pile of nachos slathered in bright orange cheese, hard shell tacos with ground beef and cheddar cheese, and sizzling chicken fajitas with big chunks of bell peppers.

They like Americanized Mexican food, but are in turn criticizing diners who like Taco Bell, an Americanized Mexican food chain. Where do we draw the arbitrary line that one is somehow authentic enough but the other isn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If you consider the paradigm of "Mexican cuisine" as a heterogenous food culture arising from the use
and combination of typical food ingredients and source cultures of the region, which includes Spaniards, Native Americans, Lebanese, Anglo-Americans, and the French, as opposed to the cuisines strictly contained within a set of arbitrary borders resulting from competing statecrafts, then Tex-Mex is absolutley related to Mexican cuisine as a whole.
None of which makes food in a Tex-Mex style American restaurant somehow qualify as authentic Mexican food but not Taco Bell. Cheese? Check. Tortillas? Check. Flavored carne molida? Check. Salsa? Check. Get the sombreros boys, we've got Mexican food.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:28 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
It's just silly to hear someone saying people who like Taco Bell should try real Mexican food when their "real" consists of a big pile of nachos slathered in bright orange cheese, hard shell tacos with ground beef and cheddar cheese, and sizzling chicken fajitas with big chunks of bell peppers.

They like Americanized Mexican food, but are in turn criticizing diners who like Taco Bell, an Americanized Mexican food chain. Where do we draw the arbitrary line that one is somehow authentic enough but the other isn't?
Exactly. Cooked more or less from scratch and sizzling doesn't mean "authentically Mexican."

Our "authentic" (and very tasty, BTW...and highly rated...this is SoCal, remember, so we think we "know" Mexican) Mex restaurant in my town routinely serves cheese on tacos, for example.

But is it tasty as hell, and leagues above the Bell? Well, yeah. And the owners are Mexican...as in...they used to live in Mexico, LOL. Not Mexican descent. Previously Mexican, now for the most part (I believe) U.S. citizens which happened later in their lives.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:38 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
I'll take you up on that:

88% beef
12% other ingredients for the flavoring and texture

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/taco...ry?id=23514878

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ients/8501981/

Taco Bell's Beef Isn't Real Beef - Fact or Myth? Taco Bell isn’t any different from anything else you eat. Almost everything we eat out or buy is chock full of sugar, soy, and corn derivatives. Generally, none has nutritional value on their own and shouldn’t be consumed in large amounts. Considering the amount in a given taco, you are just fine.
Huh? I'm sorry but no, "almost everything I eat out or buy" is not full of fillers and sugar.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:15 PM

10,763 posts, read 5,680,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusco View Post
Saying Taco Bell is Mexican is like saying McDonald's is European.
Someone failed Analogies 101.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
We have a "real" Mexican restaurant here, that has been owned and operated by the same Mexican family for many years.
We went there once years ago, and have never been back. OK, our taste buds have been ruined by Taco John's and Guadalajara, but we found the food to be not to our liking, the service was barely adequate, and we, as Caucasians, did not feel welcomed.
So, when we have a yen for Mexican, it is Taco Treat, Taco John's, or Guadalajara.
But never Taco Bell.
Real Mexican in Billings? Can you PM me the name of the place?

Old 05-14-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
It's just silly to hear someone saying people who like Taco Bell should try real Mexican food when their "real" consists of a big pile of nachos slathered in bright orange cheese, hard shell tacos with grousizzling chicken fajitas with big chunks of bell peppers.

None of which makes food in a Tex-Mex style American restaurant somehow qualify as authentic Mexican food but not Taco Bell. Cheese? Check. Tortillas? Check. Flavored carne molida? Check. Salsa? Check. Get the sombreros boys, we've got Mexican food.
I have eaten all of those things in non-border and non-tourist areas of Mexico.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:42 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
Quote:
I lived in Phoenix for many years, and I also question whether eating at a hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant is cheaper than the Bell. We hit many a local joint and you're usually talking $6 even for the lunch specials, you throw in a drink + tax + tip and you're walking up on $9.

You can pay $9 at Taco Bell but it isn't the norm, at least not the last time I was there.
And if you get something more elaborate like Mole Poblano or Molcajete, it will cost considerably more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yes, especially when you consider the appetizer basket of chips and salsa is included in the price of the entree. Now if I order a margarita then the price goes way up, obviously.
So you're really paying 5 or so dollars to eat at these places? Also, the most expensive thing at Taco Bell is around 5 or 6 dollars, while at the real Mexican places I go to it would be more like 17 dollars for Molcajete or 15 dollars for Mole Verde or Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
A taco from my favorite Mexican spots here ranges from $1.25 to $1.50. 3 tacos and a drink run around $6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I can't speak for New York, but in California you can find a $1 carne asada tacos without even trying hard. We are within walking distance of a Mexican restaurant that sells large carne asada tacos, tamales, enchiladas or chile rellenos for $2.75 each. Two of any of those along with unlimited free homemade chips with salsa and black bean dip fill us up much better than Taco Bell.
Are those tacos small, though? Here in New York you can find little tacos for $1.75, but the full size ones run between $2.50 and $3.00. And this is in Mexican neighborhoods.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:44 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
I really don't find Mexican food to be super cheap, relative to other ethnic cuisines and mid end American ones. And there's nothing wrong with that, the food is not worth less just because it's made by/for Mexican people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events