Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 08:40 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times

Advertisements

i guess she kept trying until she got a girl. now the baby will have a brother who is 34 years her senior..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 10:22 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
As a child of older parents......I hated it! My parents were the age of my friends grandparents. I did/do not have any cousins my age. I did not have any grand parents. My parents died before my kids were born so in the same category with me of never knowing a grand parent. I just always felt like I missed out on knowing my parents when they were younger and maybe more fun to be around.

My parents never swam with me, tossed a ball with me, went to a movie with me, etc. They watched from a distance and someone else did most of the care and upbringing. I feel like we were left out of a lot of activities where my friends from school and their parents got together to do stuff. It was like when you chose the people to be on your team. My mom was always chosen last because she didn't fit in with the younger moms. My dad just never tried to. He was just pretty uninvolved with my life until I was an adult in college. JMHO
I'm truly sorry you feel this way...

my parents were older as well, my dad being ten years my mom's senior. They had tried for years to have children until they gave up and considered adopting. Surprise, then I came and I am an only child. In actuality, I shouldn't even be here today.

I couldn't ask for a better set of parents..my dad in his late 50s and early 60s tossed football with me, taught me how to fish, ride a bike, taught me how to use tools and build things and we even went to the first episode of Star Wars together..Oh, I forgot,we also saw the original Jaws. When the time came, he showed me how to light a cigar and drink scotch. Now that he's passed on, the only guilt I have is that he will never meet his grandchildren but that was to be expected. I will just tell and show them what a great man he was.

As for Mom, shes in her 90s with no signs of slowing down....

Old 07-03-2018, 11:04 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
I'm truly sorry you feel this way...

my parents were older as well, my dad being ten years my mom's senior. They had tried for years to have children until they gave up and considered adopting. Surprise, then I came and I am an only child. In actuality, I shouldn't even be here today.

I couldn't ask for a better set of parents..my dad in his late 50s and early 60s tossed football with me, taught me how to fish, ride a bike, taught me how to use tools and build things and we even went to the first episode of Star Wars together..Oh, I forgot,we also saw the original Jaws. When the time came, he showed me how to light a cigar and drink scotch. Now that he's passed on, the only guilt I have is that he will never meet his grandchildren but that was to be expected. I will just tell and show them what a great man he was.

As for Mom, shes in her 90s with no signs of slowing down....
I don't have any comment about the woman, the way she got pregnant, etc besides "Hey, congrats". None of my business, esp about the nature of the conception. That is part of the baby's story, not fodder for rumors or entertainment.

While I think age does play a role in some of parenting issues, I could see the good and the bad in age. Younger parents are often less stable financially, less patient, less well rounded. Older parents might have less energy or be less inclined to get involved. But I think all across that age spectrum, people are who they are. My parents didn't play with me and my siblings. They didn't toss a ball or take us any great outings. They spent most of their time trying to make us go away so they could sit and do pretty much nothing all day. And they were average aged parents. Some of it is just personality type and would be the same mom and dad at any age.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:06 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
My parents never played ball with me and I don't really care. I was involved in other things. I was expected to play with my sibling and other kids in the neighborhood. This "ball tossing" thing is something I can't really relate to. I wasn't aware it was an important aspect of parenting. Am I supposed to care that my parents never played ball with me?

Last edited by PriscillaVanilla; 07-03-2018 at 04:19 PM..

Old 07-05-2018, 06:55 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I don't have any comment about the woman, the way she got pregnant, etc besides "Hey, congrats". None of my business, esp about the nature of the conception. That is part of the baby's story, not fodder for rumors or entertainment.

While I think age does play a role in some of parenting issues, I could see the good and the bad in age. Younger parents are often less stable financially, less patient, less well rounded. Older parents might have less energy or be less inclined to get involved. But I think all across that age spectrum, people are who they are. My parents didn't play with me and my siblings. They didn't toss a ball or take us any great outings. They spent most of their time trying to make us go away so they could sit and do pretty much nothing all day. And they were average aged parents. Some of it is just personality type and would be the same mom and dad at any age.
And I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments....I firmly believe in my case that my parents wanted children and that played a huge role but I also see the other side of the spectrum a well...thank you for your input.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:02 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Yes, it's possible to still have viable eggs at that age, or perhaps she had them extracted a few years ago and frozen.

It's not *highly likely* to have fertile, ready eggs at 54 but yes, it can happen. The average age of menopause is 51 and *generally* egg quality is declining before that time but this is not entirely unheard of.

LOL "Generally," my asinine.

If women are going to flap their gums about these geriatric pregnancies, they should be honest about the intervention through which they were achieved: donor eggs.

BTW, Brigitte Nielsen is one of the most decrepit-looking 54-year-olds. Yeah. Donor eggs. And her 39-year-old husband's sperm.

Old 07-08-2018, 01:06 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

If women are going to flap their gums about these geriatric pregnancies, they should be honest about the intervention through which they were achieved: donor eggs.

BTW, Brigitte Nielsen is one of the most decrepit-looking 54-year-olds. Yeah. Donor eggs. And her 39-year-old husband's sperm.
How is she flapping her gums? She's a celebrity and celebrity pregnancies make news.

I was referring to people's examples of everyday people they know who got pregnant in their 50s. I never said this celebrity didn't use donor eggs. I suggested perhaps she's previously had eggs frozen but I don't know. Calm down.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:14 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

If women are going to flap their gums about these geriatric pregnancies, they should be honest about the intervention through which they were achieved: donor eggs..
Her pregnancy made the news, I'm not sure if she's the one who put it out there.

Yes, I wish that celebrity women would start being open about how they got pregnant - but that's probably never going to happen. If they're over 42 its very likely they used a donor. Cheryl Tiegs who was 50 when she had her twins with a surrogate, insisted it was her own eggs used.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:37 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Her pregnancy made the news, I'm not sure if she's the one who put it out there.

Yes, I wish that celebrity women would start being open about how they got pregnant - but that's probably never going to happen. If they're over 42 its very likely they used a donor. Cheryl Tiegs who was 50 when she had her twins with a surrogate, insisted it was her own eggs used.
Why should they? This woman has no obligation to describe her insemination to the public. It is entirely up to her if she wants to keep that private.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:55 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Why should they? This woman has no obligation to describe her insemination to the public. It is entirely up to her if she wants to keep that private.
So true! Why is it any of our business? And more then that, who really cares?

I cant remember which celeb this happened to, but one got weight loss surgery and didn't share that with the world. There was lots of speculation and when she finally said she did have WLS, so many people turned on her. How was it anyone's business? And why would people be outraged she kept her medical procedures and issues to herself? I never will understand that.

Its the same in this situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events