Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 07:23 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I skimmed the faux news articles which were all exactly the same couple of paragraphs. One did mention IVF but how could a woman that age even have viable eggs? Do you think her eggs were actually used? Boy, that's one old mama!
It's entirely possible that it was her eggs from IVF storage. While viability falls off with time, if she stored 30 or 40 over the course of a year, the likelihood of one remaining viable is pretty high after 20 years. They just keep fertilizing small batches and implanting the viable ones until there's a catch.

She would have to be in unusually good (female) health at nearly 60, but with hormone therapy and maintenance, it's no longer headline material unless, well, you're Brigitte Neilsen.

The ethics of having a child at that age, when the mother is unlikely to survive until high school graduation and may not be capable of normal child interaction (even if she is Brigitte Neilsen)... are another matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 07:28 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I skimmed the faux news articles which were all exactly the same couple of paragraphs. One did mention IVF but how could a woman that age even have viable eggs? Do you think her eggs were actually used? Boy, that's one old mama!
They usually do not have viable eggs - even if they are still menstruating. My educated guess is that Ms. Nielson used a donor egg or embryo, that was inseminated with her husband or partner's sperm, or another man's, if she is single. I know nothing about her personal life.

I think that most births by celebrities in their late 40s through early 50s, involve a donated egg or embryo. If you notice, many of these mature celebrities also give birth to multiples. While it is true that the chance of a multiple birth increases with age, it seems to occur disproportionately among older, celebrity moms.

Off the top of my head, Jane Seymore had twins in her later years.

While not nearly as old as these other women, Meghan Markel is now pregnant with twins. A boy and a girl.
Wow. That happened fast!

I am not being negative, nor is it my intention to criticize these women for their choices. Surely the child or children will have a much better life than most children born to poor, young, teenaged girls.
I am just saying that this event - which is quite expensive - occurs disproportionately among the rich and famous.

How many women do you personally know who have become pregnant in their 50s? I know of none.

I know of plenty of women who struggled to become pregnant in their 40s and 30s. Fertility begins to decline in one's mid 20s. Of course many woman have children then. However, they are not as fertile as the average 18 year old.

IVF may have been used as the means to impregnate the egg. Usually with IVF, it involves the mother's egg and the father's sperm. With egg donation, it is generally employed for efficiency.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:50 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

I think that most births by celebrities in their late 40s through early 50s, involve a donated egg or embryo. If you notice, many of these mature celebrities also give birth to multiples. While it is true that the chance of a multiple birth increases with age, it seems to occur disproportionately among older, celebrity moms.
Also, the chance of chromosomal disorders is higher after age 40 but doesn't seem to occur at all in these celebrity mom births. That's because they're using donor eggs from a much younger female.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:25 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post

The ethics of having a child at that age, when the mother is unlikely to survive until high school graduation and may not be capable of normal child interaction (even if she is Brigitte Neilsen)... are another matter.
Why? Is she sick or something?

She'll be 73 when the child is 18; the average life expectancy of the American woman is up past 80 now. Not sure why she'd be "unlikely to survive until high school graduation."

Old 06-30-2018, 08:31 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
I had a cousin that had a child at that age, naturally.
So yes, it can be possible (Not likely, but possible).

Old 06-30-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I had a cousin that had a child at that age, naturally.
So yes, it can be possible (Not likely, but possible).
How long ago was that?

Old 06-30-2018, 09:51 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Or how about the POTUS....72 with 12 year old Barron
I forgot, thanks. Barron seems like a good kid.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:59 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Also, the chance of chromosomal disorders is higher after age 40 but doesn't seem to occur at all in these celebrity mom births. That's because they're using donor eggs from a much younger female.
I couldn't rep you, so I owe you one (I'm good for it)

Great point! They always have perfectly heathy babies with no genetic anomalies. I hadn't thought of that!

AND - many have twins - INSTANT FAMILY!

With this procedure as I am sure you know, they select a donor who looks like them. Oh! I thought of another example - Joan Lunden. She married a much younger man and had twins later in life. I'm going to look her up. I forget the specifics.

I looked it up and there are SO MANY! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ars-twins.html

Last edited by sheena12; 06-30-2018 at 10:11 PM..

Old 06-30-2018, 10:42 PM

However, most celebrities will never discuss the fact they used a donor. Although I think Mariah Carey has publicly talked about it, but she's the only one I know of.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:44 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I do.

I was born to an older father. He was about 43 when I was born. We played catch with Mom. We went hiking with Mom. Anything physical we did with Mom. He just didn't have the energy, even though he was not ill. We didn't like having the oldest and most inactive Dad among all our friends. .

That wasn't because he was 43 when you were born. I dont know the reason he was like that, but if he wasnt sick it had nothing to do with age. That's just who your dad was.

My dad was 41 when I was born and he played catch, taught me to play hockey, built an ice rink in our back yard every winter, umpired and coached baseball and hockey, was a Scout leader, and on top of it he worked physical jobs that must have left him pretty tired by the end of the day. My mom was 39 (I was the youngest of 4) and I dont remember playing catch with her once lol.

I sympathize with the bit about having an older parent because it did make me feel awkward at times, but clearly it had nothing to do with his energy. So even if your dad was energetic you might have felt a bit set apart simply because he was older than your friends parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events