Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2018, 05:46 PM
miu

17,767 posts, read 40,161,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
There are ways to verify employment eligibility. First the Republican said he E-Verified Rivera's immigration status. Then he admitted that he didn't. Do you seriously believe that he doesn't know that he is employing illegal immigrants? Give me a break. Of course he does. If you seriously believe that Republicans care to stop illegal immigration, then I have a bridge somewhere to sell you. Republicans are the biggest employers of illegal immigrants.
Stereotype much? Do you really think that Democratic employers never employ illegal immigrants?

And in this situation, it really seems to me much more likely that the scenario for Cristhian Rivera's hiring was that he was dating a local girl, Iris Monarrez and got her pregnant. Then she asked that local dairy farmer to give him a job. He gave a fake name to the dairy farmer, and she went along with that, so this Iris must have been part of the subterfuge. And maybe the farmer felt sorry for Iris being pregnant, and that's why he didn't use E-Verify on Rivera, the baby daddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 05:58 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Stereotype much? Do you really think that Democratic employers never employ illegal immigrants?
Do you mean "stereotype" as in how a certain political party stereotypes illegal immigrants as being dangerous criminals, while they continue to employ them? Of course Democrats hire illegal immigrants too, if they are good business people.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:24 PM

6,449 posts, read 9,809,163 times
Quote:
Do you mean "stereotype" as in how a certain political party stereotypes illegal immigrants as being dangerous criminals, while they continue to employ them? Of course Democrats hire illegal immigrants too, if they are good business people.
The illegal alien that murdered mollie IS a dangerous criminal. I dont care what side of the isle you are on.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
No one ever denied that some local stories went big, for whatever reasons, and became major news. Those stories would be called... major news. I think I was the first one to make this point here. What I said is that other, more mundane local news didn't spread everywhere and didn't really have the potential to spread everywhere. Not every local story was accessible with the click of a button (or touchscreen on a phone) to literally ANYONE in the world in mere seconds, and as soon as it was posted. I can google local news websites and find any LOCAL story (that hasn't made, and won't ever make, national news) from, say, San Diego County; read their local news page from NJ like I'm reading my own local newspaper on a 1955 Sunday morning.

Here is the San Diego local patch page: https://patch.com/california/san-diego Stories on here wouldn't have spread or been as spreadable before the internet and even more so, social media and forums like this one. Yet here I am in 2018, with the ability to see random local news in CA that has nothing to do with me and that I would otherwise never know about, in seconds just by googling a particular area of the country. There was a fatal crash on a San Diego area highway involving a wrong way driver... I didn't know about it until I clicked on this local website. Wouldn't have even been able to know about it if it weren't for the internet or I was in the area, or knew someone from the area who for whatever reason informed me about this random car crash... you get the point (hopefully; though maybe you still won't). https://patch.com/california/san-die...ay-crash-i-805

I can share a local news story here on CD and stir up a discussion, where people from any state or country can read it if they peruse this site. Say the guy driving the wrong way in the accident just mentioned was drunk. I can post this story, from across the country from me, that wasn't picked up by national networks, and start a discussion here on CD about drunk driving. (And someone will inevitably say on such thread, "wow there are so many more drunk drivers today than there were 50 years ago, the world is so dangerous now" just because they have access to more news than ever before and it therefore seems like that is true.*) This kind of reach or access just wasn't a thing 30 years ago.

*btw I do not know anything about drunk driving stats, my point here is not to say that there are or aren't more drunk drivers or drunk driving accidents today than there were 50 years ago... the point is the instant access we now have to random news from anywhere that is shared tends to make people think the world is overall a more dangerous place... which was my initial point all those pages ago now.
There is no doubt that the internet offers better opportunities to discuss news. Other than writing a letter to the editor or calling up a talk radio station, there wasn't really any opportunitie to publicly discuss news before the internet. But as far as propagating news, the internet is no better than other media, and maybe not even as good. I had no problem getting news before the internet, from TV, radio, and newspapers.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:29 PM

2,651 posts, read 1,374,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I actually didn’t assume that. I spoke with a friend who has done time recently, and he explained the culture pretty well. They have clerks that are prisoners. Most prisoners are given some sort of job working in the kitchen or whatever. These clerks have access to the files and know what everyone is in there for. Word gets around pretty fast.

A Mexican killing a pretty young white girl is not going to enjoy his stay. I do not approve of the Aryan Brotherhood or any other prison gang for that matter. But it is what it is.

Relations between Mexico and the US aren’t great right now. I would not want to chance a foreign jury with this.
Yes, I agree...the racial aspect of it certainly won't work in his favor in prison

Old 08-24-2018, 08:22 PM
miu

17,767 posts, read 40,161,054 times
Quote:
So you think that hiring illegal aliens is good for business? People that don't speak English well, steal identities or makeup a fake one in order to work, and come from cultures that abuse women... are good addition to a workplace and our society? Why don't you want to get rid of this element in America?

Old 08-24-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
So you think that hiring illegal aliens is good for business? People that don't speak English well, steal identities or makeup a fake one in order to work, and come from cultures that abuse women... are good addition to a workplace and our society? Why don't you want to get rid of this element in America?
They don't need farm workers who speak good English. They need farm workers who will stick around and not expect any raises, and will live happy in a crappy trailer in the middle of a farm field. That is not most Americans.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:00 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,316,354 times
Quote:
They don't need farm workers who speak good English. They need farm workers who will stick around and not expect any raises, and will live happy in a crappy trailer in the middle of a farm field. That is not most Americans.
This is true.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:11 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,939,201 times
I dont care about the politics, and I don’t care whether the killer was illegal or not. What I care about is that this could happen anywhere, to any of our kids or grandkids, or us.

We caution our kids to beware of dangerous situations and strangers, but this happened in a “safe” place, where people dont lock their doors, to a smart, fit girl. If it could happen to her, it could happen to us.

What shakes us to the core is not when someone gets murdered in the inner city at 2 am, but when someone gets murdered by a corn field in rural Iowa, because now we can’t feel safe anymore.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This is completely a rabbit hole, and I hate to derail this conversation. But to state the public had the same access to news stories back before the internet as we do now, is just wrong.

It's just wrong.

Even enormous stories - for example, the near disastrous Apollo 13 mission. I was in elementary school, but extremely interested in that story - so interested I waited for the newspaper delivery that occurred in the wee hours of the morning. I heard the paper hit the porch, and ran out to get it to see if there was any news.

And that was international headlines everywhere. But you had to wait for the morning paper to see what any updates might be. Because you know, TV wasn't on after midnight and before about 6 a.m.

So I'll ask again. Were you around before the internet? Can you find your way around the "current periodicals" section of a public library? First, to ask for recent paper editions of major newspapers, and then, to find the stories on microfiche and microfilm? Because that's how it was done.
I remember Apollo 13 well. I was in elementary school too. I watched the live coverage on TV, as it happened. I didn't start reading newspapers until I got to junior high school, But hey if you were reading newspapers while you were still in elementary school, congrats. You were way ahead of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events