Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 10:52 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times

Advertisements

It doesn't appear that they were total "strangers," and subtle social signals can be misconstrued by people of other cultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 10:57 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,015,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Cultural norms differ when it comes to the treatment of women, children, animals, property, etc. It's just a fact. Certain countries are referred to as "third world" for a reason.
Yeah, because they remained neutral during the Cold War, and didnt align themselves with NATO nor the Communists,

It has nothing to do with how they treat women, children, animals, etc...

Old 08-29-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It doesn't appear that they were total "strangers," and subtle social signals can be misconstrued by people of other cultures.
Everything the police has released says otherwise. There was nothing to indicate that they knew each other, or had ever met before.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:25 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
That's a crime. So they'd rather not know what happened to her? Her body returned for burial has no value?

I think the original reward was $5K wasn't it, when they just wanted an arrest and conviction? I'd hope they'd reward that amount at the very least. And if some of the funds are returned to the Tibbett's family I would hope they'd offer it to the person who returned their daughter. All the crime shows I've ever watched, the family says the worst part is not knowing where your loved one is, if they're alive or not.

I've heard from various sources over the years that crime stoppers does their best not to pay rewards, but was never sure if it was true.
Ridiculous. The reward should be paid to the homeowner who provided the footage which led to the arrest of the alleged perpetrator. The footage directly led to Mollie being found. It should not matter whether she was found dead or alive. She will now have a proper burial. Her parents will have peace knowing what happened to Mollie (although I am sure it does not diminish the anguish of her death).

These people begged for help locating their daughter. She is found. End of story. Pay up.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Ridiculous. The reward should be paid to the homeowner who provided the footage which led to the arrest of the alleged perpetrator. The footage directly led to Mollie being found. It should not matter whether she was found dead or alive. She will now have a proper burial. Her parents will have peace knowing what happened to Mollie (although I am sure it does not diminish the anguish of her death).

These people begged for help locating their daughter. She is found. End of story. Pay up.
I can't remember, was it said how the police got the video footage? Did the homeowners go to the police with it, or did the police request to review their recordings from the night Mollie went missing?

Old 08-29-2018, 01:28 PM

21,922 posts, read 9,491,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The only way I can see him getting out of it would be to argue that somebody else killed her. But then he would have to identify that person.

His defence will be not guilty by reason of insanity, but it will fail.
Kate Steinle's killer killer her in broad daylight in front of dozens of witnesses and got off.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:20 PM

468 posts, read 356,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I can't remember, was it said how the police got the video footage? Did the homeowners go to the police with it, or did the police request to review their recordings from the night Mollie went missing?
The below dated August 22

Investigators spoke to hundreds of people in the search for clues about Mollie Tibbetts' disappearance, but weeks after she vanished it was security camera footage that finally gave them a first glimpse of the man accused of killing her.

The 20-year-old student went missing on July 18 in Brooklyn, Iowa, after going for a jog. Authorities charged Cristhian Bahena Rivera, 24, with first-degree murder charges on Tuesday.

Here's how investigators arrested Rivera and how they found a body believed to be that of Tibbetts.

As the weeks passed, a reward for information on her whereabouts kept growing and reached nearly $400,000. Investigators got thousands of tips, rolled out an interactive website to help jog the public's memory, and even looked into Tibbetts' data from a fitness tracker.

About a week or two ago, a neighbor gave police his security cameras.

They watched the footage for hours before they could spot Tibbetts, said Rick Rahn, a special agent in charge at the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation.

The footage showed her running through an area east of Brooklyn and a car moving close to her. The black Chevy Malibu drove back and forth numerous times before it just started following her, according to an affidavit.

They linked the car to Rivera and "from that we were able to track his pattern in the routes in which he took," Rahn said.

He didn't resist when authorities tried to detain him on Monday, Rahn said.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/22/us/mo...rch/index.html

Old 08-30-2018, 02:54 AM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY 915 View Post
I'm hoping Mollie's dad will step up and do the right thing by instructing crime stoppers to reward the homeowner.....it irks me that crime stoppers in her state may well keep much of the money in their " fund "...to possibly be used to help pay for a golf outing or a convention to Vegas .....and once the original reward amount was established you don't change the rules of claiming the reward as the reward becomes higher...
The reward money was returned to the donors. Because the reward was for her safe return. Since she was not returned safe, no reward money will be paid to anyone.

Mollie Tibbetts killing_ Bulk of reward fund money to be returned to donors

Old 08-30-2018, 10:29 AM

13,247 posts, read 7,300,036 times
So actually technology is what solved the case of her missing everyone says how small town is so crime free, but if someone installed security cameras on their home not so crime free. I have security cameras installed on my home it's not easy to do and not cheap for decent camera. It takes some amount of crime to push a home owner to install cameras. This business about how you left keys in the ignition and homes unlocked in small towns isn't so true. It may have been in the 1970's, but today's small towns are riddled with un-employment, and drugs.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:43 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,538,866 times
Mollie Tibbetts' accused killer wants confession thrown out, claims he wasn't read rights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events