Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2018, 09:02 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
"she was wearing a ______ (whatever you deem unacceptable/titillating) so she deserves whatever happened to her"

Fixed it for you.
Don’t put words in my mouth. If this girl was my niece or neighbor, I’d tell her to use common sense and put some clothes on. No female should be wearing a skimpy outfit while jogging alone at night or anytime, especially a young, pretty girl. There are just too many pervs and lurkers in the world, even in small towns where you don’t lock your door.

Last edited by Taz22; 08-03-2018 at 09:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 02:44 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Don’t put words in my mouth. If this girl was my niece or neighbor, I’d tell her to use common sense and put some clothes on. No female should be wearing a skimpy outfit while jogging alone at night or anytime, especially a young, pretty girl. There are just too many pervs and lurkers in the world, even in small towns where you don’t lock your door.
Unfortunately, the sports bra is pretty common by me with female joggers of all ages. Some men wear barely there shorts. So far no sicko's.. Thankfully

Old 08-04-2018, 06:29 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
I know it's the DM but Mollie's mom and boyfriend have spoken to them with some info and their own theories/thoughts. Mother of missing Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts says she does not believe she returned home | Daily Mail Online

Her mom thinks she never came home from her run, and explains why - yet explains that there are still pieces that may not make sense. Very interesting, very sad, very creepy.

Unfortunately, abducting or attacking women who are jogging or out walking isn't unusual:
http://www.wibw.com/content/news/Jog...488115681.html
https://abcnews.go.com/US/queens-jog...ry?id=48952843
https://abcnews.go.com/US/massachuse...ry?id=48255428
https://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/07/...otos-facebook/

Old 08-04-2018, 07:15 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I know it's the DM but Mollie's mom and boyfriend have spoken to them with some info and their own theories/thoughts. Mother of missing Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts says she does not believe she returned home | Daily Mail Online

Her mom thinks she never came home from her run, and explains why - yet explains that there are still pieces that may not make sense. Very interesting, very sad, very creepy.

She says both of Mollie's red shirts were still in her room. So I guess that the one they found near the pig farm wasn't hers.

I have a feeling the police aren't happy about her releasing info to the press. They withhold stuff for a reason. Now they can't tell Mom anything they don't want blabbed to the press.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:37 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,582 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Snapchat is in a very difficult position here.

LE has said they have a "firm timeline" for Mollie's disappearance. (Pity they're going to hold that information close to the vest until her trail is apparently absolutely irrecoverably stone cold, but hey).

Snapchat has said, that in some cases (where it's imperative due to health and safety etc.) they are able to recover deleted chats.

Translation. We can recover snapchats that we previously told you were irrecoverable. Yeah, we've got 'em. And we'll give that info to you, LE. Now you keep that on the downlow, though, hey?

And that's their whole business model. People use snapchat to send private texts and private photos, with the believe (told to them by Snapchat) that it's gone forever after 10 seconds.

'Parently not.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:27 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Snapchat is in a very difficult position here.

LE has said they have a "firm timeline" for Mollie's disappearance. (Pity they're going to hold that information close to the vest until her trail is apparently absolutely irrecoverably stone cold, but hey).

Snapchat has said, that in some cases (where it's imperative due to health and safety etc.) they are able to recover deleted chats.

Translation. We can recover snapchats that we previously told you were irrecoverable. Yeah, we've got 'em. And we'll give that info to you, LE. Now you keep that on the downlow, though, hey?

And that's their whole business model. People use snapchat to send private texts and private photos, with the believe (told to them by Snapchat) that it's gone forever after 10 seconds.

'Parently not.
If I remember correctly, there was another snap chat case a few years ago. An over 30 guy from Ohio killed a young girl in Virginia or West Virginia. The company recovered those chats too.

Nothing is ever really gone. I'm sure companies have to keep stuff available to LE for a certain amount of time. It may not be kept on their main servers but it's somewhere.

Even when someone formats a hard drive, some of it can still be recovered.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
She says both of Mollie's red shirts were still in her room. So I guess that the one they found near the pig farm wasn't hers.

I have a feeling the police aren't happy about her releasing info to the press. They withhold stuff for a reason. Now they can't tell Mom anything they don't want blabbed to the press.
It wouldn't surprise me if law enforcement has suspects and a lot more info than they let on. LEOs are allowed to lie to the public - withhold info, throw red herrings out there - to watch their suspects' reactions to the info they have released. Let the suspect think the cops are on the wrong trail, and keep an eye on what the suspect does and who they talk to. See if they get too comfortable, cocky, slip up.

IMO the shirt and Mollie's computer being active are two red herrings (no pun intended with the shirt color). Mollie's mom said its possible her daughter had a third work shirt at her boyfriend's house, but along with the other details (like her missing jogging clothes, phone, arm band for the phone she used while jogging, headphones, and the fact that the dogs were found in the basement, indicating she never returned home from her run), it seems like it wasn't her shirt.

Searching specific areas more than once indicates to me they have an idea on what happened to her and who did it. There is always more to investigations than the public or even the family knows; I think they know more than they're letting on and I don't think it's good. Poor Mollie. For some reason this case is kind of hitting me hard while typically, these cases don't really get to me.

It's a very small town, very rural area. It's definitely possible that some outsider did something to her, but it's probably more likely that someone she knows or who knows of her who knows her routine and has been watching her did something when the opportunity was there. I'm sure the cops have some ideas.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:41 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if law enforcement has suspects and a lot more info than they let on. LEOs are allowed to lie to the public - withhold info, throw red herrings out there - to watch their suspects' reactions to the info they have released. Let the suspect think the cops are on the wrong trail, and keep an eye on what the suspect does and who they talk to. See if they get too comfortable, cocky, slip up.

IMO the shirt and Mollie's computer being active are two red herrings (no pun intended with the shirt color). Mollie's mom said its possible her daughter had a third work shirt at her boyfriend's house, but along with the other details (like her missing jogging clothes, phone, arm band for the phone she used while jogging, headphones, and the fact that the dogs were found in the basement, indicating she never returned home from her run), it seems like it wasn't her shirt.

Searching specific areas more than once indicates to me they have an idea on what happened to her and who did it. There is always more to investigations than the public or even the family knows; I think they know more than they're letting on and I don't think it's good. Poor Mollie. For some reason this case is kind of hitting me hard while typically, these cases don't really get to me.

It's a very small town, very rural area. It's definitely possible that some outsider did something to her, but it's probably more likely that someone she knows or who knows of her who knows her routine and has been watching her did something when the opportunity was there. I'm sure the cops have some ideas.
Of course they can lie to the public, but generally they don't. That would just ruin their credibility, when releasing any information. Anyway it's hard to lie, if they don't say anything, and they are not saying anything.

They seem very frustrated to me. I don't think they have any leads. It looks to me like the case is going cold fast. I expect it was an outsider. If it was somebody in the town, it would be too easy. There are no secrets in a small town. Everybody knows everybody.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:46 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Unfortunately, the sports bra is pretty common by me with female joggers of all ages. Some men wear barely there shorts. So far no sicko's.. Thankfully
I don’t get the trend in some cases. Where women jog alone, looking half dressed could be dangerous. This reminds me of the pretty jogger in New York who was killed a couple of years ago when her dad couldn’t go with her. If this missing girl had taken those dogs, or had mace, the outcome might have been different.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Of course they can lie to the public, but generally they don't. That would just ruin their credibility, when releasing any information. Anyway it's hard to lie, if they don't say anything, and they are not saying anything.

They seem very frustrated to me. I don't think they have any leads. It looks to me like the case is going cold fast. I expect it was an outsider. If it was somebody in the town, it would be too easy. There are no secrets in a small town. Everybody knows everybody.
I think it's hard to say whether or not they lie typically in investigations like this. We'll almost never know all that they know in these types of cases. I don't mean big lies, I just mean withholding certain information or maybe acting like they're on a different track than they actually are. We on the outside almost never know all that insiders to investigations know, so I think they do actually "lie" a lot.

I've worked closely with prosecutors on trials and there is always info that never gets out, and often some info that juries can't even know, because of the rules of evidence. I've assisted working on some cases involving violent crimes with details I never knew or heard until I had access to the files.

Like, in this case, LE totally knows whether the red shirt found even has Mollie's work logo on it/is a shirt connected to her job, but afaik they won't release that basic info, as I haven't seen it anywhere. As of at least yesterday, police hadn't commented on the shirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events