Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 04:46 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,478,720 times

Advertisements

I am sicken by this.

I also know that the penal systems creates rules that look good on paper (to "CYA" the higher authorites), while staff shortages make them impossible for correction officers to fulfill. Nobody is going to "go down" except the correction officers, and that is not acceptable.

Inmates never shut up, especially when drunk or high. They whine, fuss, kick, scream, do anything for attention. Some will even vomit and relieve themselves on the floor for attention. Corrections officers are understaffed. They have to tone those things out in order to do (survive) their jobs.

In this case, someone really was in distress. And now, rather than stand up for their staff, the powers that be will blame an officer for "failing to follow the rules".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 04:50 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,698,043 times
No sympathy here but if she required medical care, it should have been provided.

Old 09-08-2018, 04:52 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,641,192 times
Cry me a river! There are legions of truly pitiable people suffering and then dying in this world every day. I got nothin' for this one.

Old 09-08-2018, 04:52 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I am sicken by this.

I also know that the penal systems creates rules that look good on paper (to "CYA" the higher authorites), while staff shortages make them impossible for correction officers to fulfill. Nobody is going to "go down" except the correction officers, and that is not acceptable.

Inmates never shut up, especially when drunk or high. They whine, fuss, kick, scream, do anything for attention. Some will even vomit and relieve themselves on the floor for attention. Corrections officers are understaffed. They have to tone those things out in order to do (survive) their jobs.

In this case, someone really was in distress. And now, rather than stand up for their staff, the powers that be will blame an officer for "failing to follow the rules".
Did you note that no charges have been filed in this case, and one of the guards was allowed to retire early with full benefits - as if he had worked another year?

Old 09-08-2018, 04:55 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times
This is HORRIBLE.

All jails and prisons should have medical facilities and people with medical issues should be monitored.

This is inhumane and barbaric.

And it has nothing to do with rehabilitation of "criminals."

This woman did not deserve to die in such a manner, no matter what mistakes she made.

Old 09-08-2018, 05:00 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
This is HORRIBLE.

All jails and prisons should have medical facilities and people with medical issues should be monitored.

This is inhumane and barbaric.

And it has nothing to do with rehabilitation of "criminals."

This woman did not deserve to die in such a manner, no matter what mistakes she made.
I completely agree.

IMHO, a young woman who became addicted to heroin after a debilitating soccer injury garners a lot more empathy for her plight than a lot of people in that jail.

We are truly judged by how we treat the weakest among us.

Old 09-08-2018, 05:12 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
If this was in a retirement home or hospital people would be getting arrested. While I don’t care for drug addicts, I don’t believe in mistreating or abusing them. All the guards had to do was call a medical team out. That prisoner was in their care which to me means they are 100% responsible for that prisoners well being and anything that happens to the prisoner

Old 09-08-2018, 05:35 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,109,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
yada, yada. Moralize all you want but the "arbiter of who deserves it" was in this case the woman who died. Not me, not you.
You think that couldn’t be you?

By what virtue? That you don’t do drugs? Good for you.

Or because you are above ever getting a traffic violation & having a medical emergency? Because anybody could get mixed up in a computer glitch & wind up in custody for a few:

*My dad; a retired USAF Colonel, got pulled over once because his license plate came up registered to a vehicle reported as stolen. It wound up being a simple glitch in the system.

*Had a friend who was in custody for a week before they figured out that an older male relative had been using his social security number & he had a warrant out for his arrest.

*My 16 year old daughters friend had a houseful of cops 2 days after getting his drivers license because a witness to a hit & run had written down a license plate number with a “4” that looked like a “9”.

All misunderstandings that could have or did: result in a temporary hold in custody. And the same inefficient & substandard medical system that was negligent for this woman’s care, will be the same system in place if that happens to you.

Old 09-08-2018, 05:45 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,675,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Sorry, but I have zero sympathy for this woman. Totally self inflicted. You reap what you sow.
This could have just as easily been a diabetic who they felt was lying about the need for insulin.

Old 09-08-2018, 05:55 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,587,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
You think that couldn’t be you?

By what virtue? That you don’t do drugs? Good for you.

Or because you are above ever getting a traffic violation & having a medical emergency? Because anybody could get mixed up in a computer glitch & wind up in custody for a few:

*My dad; a retired USAF Colonel, got pulled over once because his license plate came up registered to a vehicle reported as stolen. It wound up being a simple glitch in the system.

*Had a friend who was in custody for a week before they figured out that an older male relative had been using his social security number & he had a warrant out for his arrest.

*My 16 year old daughters friend had a houseful of cops 2 days after getting his drivers license because a witness to a hit & run had written down a license plate number with a “4” that looked like a “9”.

All misunderstandings that could have or did: result in a temporary hold in custody. And the same inefficient & substandard medical system that was negligent for this woman’s care, will be the same system in place if that happens to you.

let's not play shoulda/coulda/woulda. It is meaningless. The deceased made the decisions that put her in that spot, not me and not you. And she would have sold YOUR soul in a heartbeat for more heroin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events