Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 10:07 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,314,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
let's not play shoulda/coulda/woulda. It is meaningless. The deceased made the decisions that put her in that spot, not me and not you. And she would have sold YOUR soul in a heartbeat for more heroin.
Its interesting that everyone of your replies has been about three sentences or less. Considering the replies you have gotten. You don't display the characteristics of a deep thinker.

The problem is life isn't always a simple "yes/no" proposition.

There are all kinds of complexities. Let's say I'm driving down the road and a car crosses the center line and hits my vehicle head on. Using your type of logic, you could argue "well I have no sympathy for that dead driver because he made a decision that day to drive a car and he didn't have to drive".

America incarcerates a higher percentage of its population than any other modern nation on this Earth. First, I question whether we ought to be incarcerating many of the people that we do. Second, though, if we are going to incarcerate them providing the rudiments of food, shelter, and appropriate medical care would seem to be in order and the failure to do so is actually a violation of the Eighth Amendment to the Constitution which protects citizens from cruel and unusual punishments.

You may not agree with the vast majority of us who see some responsibility on the part of the jail here. I would at least like to see you write a post that contains the bare rudiments of reasoning.

Last edited by markg91359; 09-10-2018 at 11:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 10:51 AM

50,820 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
It's really not about sympathy for the person in this case.

It's about an expectation that the government will properly safeguard individuals in its charge. An incarcerated person is a ward of the state. The state has an obligation - a moral obligation - to assure basic levels of safety and care.

Really, it's about you and I. That's who the state is: us. We are the state. I expect the state not to abandon people in cells to die. What about you? I guess you're cool with that.

Hopefully, it's never anyone you happen to care about who finds themselves, unconvicted, in state custody and ignored and left to die. But I suppose you imagine that the state is so perfect and infallible that this only happens to 'those who deserve it' (you, of course, being the supreme arbiter of who deserves what).
Poster probably thinks of himself as a patriot, while saying "no big deal" to actions that go against the Constitution and the laws of the land.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:12 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,189,699 times
Yay, Hawthorn! Tiny little middle of nowhere gas stop (but only if you can't make it to Tonopah), with nothing but a small-ish military post.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:25 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I understand much of the general public, law enforcement and health care workers are fed up with dealing with addicts but what happened to this woman seems deplorable and inexcusable in my opinion.

****video isn't horribly graphic, shows her behavior at the time of arrest, her behavior while in the cell, at the end her body is removed but that may be disturbing to some (it is covered).

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nevada-...ment-policies/
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Disclaimer: I'm not saying they were not responsible for her death.

Should have thought about that before she started doing drugs.
Well, I didn't know it would only take a SINGLE post because she was blamed.

That's right - you screw up, and ANYBODY else can do ANYTHING to you and get away with it. Anybody with money would get a lawyer and sue to be sure they'd get the medical care needed or have a lawyer and not even spend a day in jail. But if you're poor and break the law you are just plain screwed and no one will go an inch out of their way for you.

That's our great country - money talks!

Old 09-10-2018, 07:22 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,674,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Well, I didn't know it would only take a SINGLE post because she was blamed.

That's right - you screw up, and ANYBODY else can do ANYTHING to you and get away with it. Anybody with money would get a lawyer and sue to be sure they'd get the medical care needed or have a lawyer and not even spend a day in jail. But if you're poor and break the law you are just plain screwed and no one will go an inch out of their way for you.

That's our great country - money talks!
Her mother offered to bail her out according to the CNN article linked in this thread and the daughter declined it. I haven't really noticed any apparent financial disadvantage playing into this story at all.

Work= earn money

Money= advantages in society

Advantages in society= a major reason people work

Sorry there is no evil empire to blame here

Old 09-10-2018, 09:52 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,283,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Its interesting that everyone of your replies has been about three sentences or less. Considering the replies you have gotten. You don't display the characteristics of a deep thinker.

The problem is life isn't always a simple "yes/no" proposition.

There are all kinds of complexities. Let's say I'm driving down the road and a car crosses the center line and hits my vehicle head on. Using your type of logic, you could argue "well I have no sympathy for that dead driver because he made a decision that day to drive a car and he didn't have to drive"

America incarcerates a higher percentage of its population than any other single country of the 200-210 nations on this Earth. First, I question whether we ought to be incarcerating many of the people that we do. Second, though, if we are going to incarcerate them providing the rudiments of food, shelter, and appropriate medical care would seem to be in order and the failure to do so is actually a violation of the Eighth Amendment to the Constitution which protects citizens from cruel and unusual punishments.

You may not agree with the vast majority of us who see some responsibility on the part of the jail here. I would at least like to see you write a post that contains the bare rudiments of reasoning.
Had to fix that part that I bolded... we incarcerate more, as both a percentage AND actual number than any other country anywhere.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:55 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,547,343 times
Even if she was an addict, she needed health care. The story states that she became an addict after a devastating injury. She didn't get addicted by being at a party and decided to get "high"

Unless you've been through a devastating injury and needed strong pain medication, you should never judge someone like her.

Some people on CD have no compassion. Very sad.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:09 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
There are all kinds of complexities. Let's say I'm driving down the road and a car crosses the center line and hits my vehicle head on. Using your type of logic, you could argue "well I have no sympathy for that dead driver because he made a decision that day to drive a car and he didn't have to drive".

Driving isn't illegal.

Using more words doesn't make someone a deeper thinker.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:14 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,314,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Driving isn't illegal.

Using more words doesn't make someone a deeper thinker.
No, but clearly that poster doesn't bother to worry about "silly things" like the Constitution.

He just thinks people who become drug users have no rights after that.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:48 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I am sicken by this.

I also know that the penal systems creates rules that look good on paper (to "CYA" the higher authorites), while staff shortages make them impossible for correction officers to fulfill. Nobody is going to "go down" except the correction officers, and that is not acceptable.

Inmates never shut up, especially when drunk or high. They whine, fuss, kick, scream, do anything for attention. Some will even vomit and relieve themselves on the floor for attention. Corrections officers are understaffed. They have to tone those things out in order to do (survive) their jobs.

In this case, someone really was in distress. And now, rather than stand up for their staff, the powers that be will blame an officer for "failing to follow the rules".
Exactly. And inmates love a trip to the hospital. As well, in some areas the jailers are not staff.
When my brother began in law enforcement he started by volunteering at the jail. His duties were to keep a check on the prisoners, administer meds, even accompany them to the hospital, etc. The jail does not have actual medical personnel. Often there is not available personnel, including volunteers, to take inmates to the doctor or hospital for every complaint or request. An officer must accompany an inmate to the hospital and stay with them the entire time they are there.

It would be great if every jail did have a medical officer to evaluate and the staff to transport every inmate to a medical facility for every complaint but they dont and citizens apparently arent interested in tax increase to pay for those services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events