Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 08:31 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Bottom Line -- don't go to jail and expect five-star service.
Even the staff in a luxury hotel get busy. They might not be able to respond as promptly as what's written in the hotel employee manual.
Most people in jail have not been found guilty and in the US people are considered innocent until proven guilty, and even for those who are sentenced we have this little thing called the constitution which prohibits cruel and unusual punishment. SCOTUS has long held that failure for a jail or prison to provide adequate medical care is a violation of the 8th amendment.

And it's not always easy to follow your sage advice and simply not go to jail. When my youngest was in College he laid carpet on the weekends. He and his co-worker would pick up the carpet from the store early in the morning (they had a key for the back door) A cop pulls up one day and questions him and his co-worker and claims they are burglarizing the store. The cop calls the owner and finds out they have permission to be there but arrests my son on a warrant for someone with the same name and same month and year but different day of birth. He spent 6 hours in jail before he was able to prove that he was not the guy they were looking for. He'd never been in trouble before and he hasn't since...in fact, he's now a successful CPA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And many inmates will fake their distress in order to get special treatment or to get out of a situation. I have no sympathy for any drug addicts. Drug addiction is a result of a many poor life decisions. It's not a disease, and society shouldn't have to pick up the bill for these losers. And no, most drug addicts didn't get there by being on prescribed drugs.
No matter how badly life treats me or how bored I am, I would never ever turn to trying drugs for "kicks".
Your description of yourself as "devout atheist humanist" would be more accurate if you took "humanist" off the end.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:56 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,477,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I think this gets the award here for the most ridiculous post in the thread.

Everyone knows that a jail is a not a five star hotel. What makes you think that expecting that food, shelter, and appropriate medical care will be provided equals a "five star hotel"?

Many people seem to think if someone is put in jail it must be because they are guilty of a crime. In their minds, jail exists to PUNISH criminals. The limitations of this type of thought process should be evident to anyone who has taken a civics class in junior high school. People in America are innocent of a crime until they are proven guilty and most of the people in a jail--like this one-- are not there serving sentences. They are there because the police or someone else has accused them of a crime.

We don't need any more posts like the one above. We get it. You want to lecture us on the whole personal responsibility "shtick". You have lead a much more responsible life than such a miscreant has and you resent your tax dollars going to fund a decent jail that can prevent this sort of thing. What's a few drug addicts overdosing and dying? Its just one less problem you have to worry about. Who cares about the Eighth Amendment to the US Constitution. Yeah, the Founding Fathers are great to talk about on the Fourth of July, but the Constitution wasn't meant to apply to the "riff raff".

Innocent people do get thrown in jail. I suspect the only way your will change your thinking is if it happens to you or a family member. Small towns are notorious in some regions of this country for not playing by the rules and reacting harshly towards outsiders.
I was raised in a small town. I live in one still. Always have. I have never spent time in jail, never been arrested. Neither has anyone in my family or my husbands family.
I never used drugs, got intoxicated in public or caused disturbances that required police intervention. Most innocent people don't get thrown in jail. On the rare occasion that they do, they don't puke all over the floor and make a pain of themselves to the staff.

It's jail. Imprisonment! It ain't supposed to be classy and comfortable. And since jails house bad people, it ain't safe no matter how attentive the guards.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:59 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
It's really not about sympathy for the person in this case.

It's about an expectation that the government will properly safeguard individuals in its charge. An incarcerated person is a ward of the state. The state has an obligation - a moral obligation - to assure basic levels of safety and care.
Yes, it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Sorry, but I have zero sympathy for this woman. Totally self inflicted. You reap what you sow.
You do understand that someone with a brain injury may act in the same manner, right?

It's not uncommon for high school football players to get a concussion and exhibit a lack of coordination, a lack of balance and slurred speech.

They would appear to you to be drunk or stoned, except you just watched them take a hit on the football field, so you know that isn't the case.

Even when restrained with a lap-belt and shoulder-belt, you can still hit your head on the windshield, or steering wheel, or A-frame, or door-frame or window and sustain a concussion.

When a concussion is serious, you're kept in intensive care under 24-hour watch, because you can die.

Hopefully, if you're an an accident and sustain a concussion exhibiting symptoms that make you appear to be drunk or stoned, the police will let you get the medical care you need, instead of letting you die in jail cell.

Old 09-16-2018, 12:06 PM

[quote=Javacoffee;53100726]I was raised in a small town. I live in one still. Always have. I have never spent time in jail, never been arrested. Neither has anyone in my family or my husbands family.
I never used drugs, got intoxicated in public or caused disturbances that required police intervention. Most innocent people don't get thrown in jail. On the rare occasion that they do, they don't puke all over the floor and make a pain of themselves to the staff.

It's jail. Imprisonment! It ain't supposed to be classy and comfortable. And since jails house bad people, it ain't safe no matter how attentive the guards.[/QUOTE

Did you ever hear anyone say this? "There but for the grace of God go I"? The Innocence project has been able to exonerate 362 prisoners, many facing execution through DNA evidence. 158 others were exonerated after the Innocence project found the actual perpetrator of the crime and a large number of others were released after proof of prosecutorial misconduct.
https://www.innocenceproject.org/exonerate/

Old 09-16-2018, 12:28 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,674,144 times
Quote:
I was raised in a small town. I live in one still. Always have. I have never spent time in jail, never been arrested. Neither has anyone in my family or my husbands family.

It's jail. Imprisonment! It ain't supposed to be classy and comfortable. And since jails house bad people, it ain't safe no matter how attentive the guards.
I would certainly NOT categorize everyone who has been arrested for petty traffic or civil violations as a BAD person...to make that assumption does not reflect a rational thought process.

Yes, she was entirely responsible the decisions and behavior that led to her arrest...in no way does that excuse that she was denied medical care while incarcerated resulting in her death.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:06 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,477,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I would certainly NOT categorize everyone who has been arrested for petty traffic or civil violations as a BAD person...to make that assumption does not reflect a rational thought process.

Yes, she was entirely responsible the decisions and behavior that led to her arrest...in no way does that excuse that she was denied medical care while incarcerated resulting in her death.
Maybe you're the one without rational thought since you've never worked in a jail or prison. Go work in one for a few months. That's the only way you'll understand. Without that knowledge, you're absolutely clueless... and lacking in rational thought.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Maybe you're the one without rational thought since you've never worked in a jail or prison. Go work in one for a few months. That's the only way you'll understand. Without that knowledge, you're absolutely clueless... and lacking in rational thought.
I worked in a jail, it certainly never led me to believe that inmates are subhuman or should be denied medical care. So what exactly is your point?

Old 09-16-2018, 01:16 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:

Another CD expert.

The girl was trying to save her own life, yet according to you, she was "making a pain of herself to the staff."

It isn't about how "most innocent people don't get thrown in jail." It's about how those who are in county/federal/state custody for whatever reason are entitled to a certain standard of care. You can read more about that here:

https://www.americanbar.org/publicat...prisoners.html

Basically what you're saying is that anyone who gets thrown in jail for whatever reason deserves to die.

You sound like a real joy to be around.

Old 09-16-2018, 03:19 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,962,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
This happened to someone in Henderson, NV about 10 years ago. The driver was on his way to a pharmacy as he was having a diabetic reaction, needed insulin badly, the cops saw the car swerving on the freeway, they pulled him over, he was acting wildly due to his diabetic reaction, the cops thought he was on some illegal drugs, and it was videotaped with the cops punching and kicking him outside his car.
Yes
I remember that story.
He should have never stopped since his life was on the line and it was a medical emergency.

If the cop boxes someone in when it is a medical emergency, would it be considered self defense if they shot at the cops?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events