Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 06:42 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,737,176 times

Advertisements

Ill be crossing the Red Roof Inn of my list of places to stay during my travels now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 07:43 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Well, no surprise, the motel sounds like a welfare motel according to the reviews. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...tin_Texas.html This means people who can't stay elsewhere for various reasons end up living in these rooms. That must be why there's a bad element around.

Once I wanted to stay overnight in an expensive resort area of Western Mass during a summer weekend, but just for one night. Came to find out that basically no decent hotel will allow you to book for just one night of a weekend because they lose money that way. So I ended up staying with my bf at the time in a motel somewhere some miles from the nice parts of the resort areas because that was the only place we could book one night.

Our next door neighbors in the motel got to chatting with us as we sat outside our room looking onto the parking lot. We found out they were longtime residents of the motel. They were destitute and weren't allowed in legit shelters because the man beats the woman. She kindly pointed out to us the metal plate in her face that she'd had to get put in after he beat her face in.

It was at that point that I realized that motels/hotels are not always about vacationing travelers spending a few nights.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:08 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Well, no surprise, the motel sounds like a welfare motel according to the reviews. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...tin_Texas.html This means people who can't stay elsewhere for various reasons end up living in these rooms. That must be why there's a bad element around.

Once I wanted to stay overnight in an expensive resort area of Western Mass during a summer weekend, but just for one night. Came to find out that basically no decent hotel will allow you to book for just one night of a weekend because they lose money that way. So I ended up staying with my bf at the time in a motel somewhere some miles from the nice parts of the resort areas because that was the only place we could book one night.

Our next door neighbors in the motel got to chatting with us as we sat outside our room looking onto the parking lot. We found out they were longtime residents of the motel. They were destitute and weren't allowed in legit shelters because the man beats the woman. She kindly pointed out to us the metal plate in her face that she'd had to get put in after he beat her face in.

It was at that point that I realized that motels/hotels are not always about vacationing travelers spending a few nights.
I stay in a Red Roof in Dallas occasionally. It's $40 out the door for me. I do see people who "live" there temporarily, it's $1,100/month I believe and they split the room with one or maybe more people. I stay there for 8-10 hours overnight and the front desk folks put most of "us" (transportation workers) together in one building on one floor to keep us away from the riff-raff, but it's interesting seeing how "the other half" of the population lives.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:59 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Regardless of the price of the room, it's a little unbelievable that a man who can pay 40 bucks or so for a room would also be so clueless to tell a cop he's trying to pay for sex with a child. But apparently it happened.

Last edited by ClaraC; 11-19-2018 at 09:20 PM..

Old 11-19-2018, 11:32 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This might be the weirdest mainstream, responsible media story I've ever read in my entire life.

I believe every sentence of this story.

*blink blink* ummm. Hmmm.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/lo.../269-615516423
Are you thinking the parents were in on it at first, for money, and then backed out for whatever reason, turned on the guy and made up the story?

Old 11-20-2018, 03:22 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Regardless of the price of the room, it's a little unbelievable that a man who can pay 40 bucks or so for a room would also be so clueless to tell a cop he's trying to pay for sex with a child. But apparently it happened.
If some rooms are welfare rooms, then it's possible he was not paying out of his own pocket. Not sure what goes on in Texas, but where I live, NYC is famous for turning hotels in sketchy areas basically into shelters. In fact, some hotels are getting built for the express purpose of hoping to get the government to turn them into defacto shelters. This way the hotel doesn't have to worry about finding individual people to pay for the rooms; they just get a giant check from the government.

Review Finds Crime at New York Hotels Used to Shelter Homeless

And regarding the cluelessness, is it possible it was the drugs talking? It sounded like he was on a couple of different possibly mind-altering drugs.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:59 AM

50,809 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

Just FYI, that weekend rule is only in effect in resort areas during the high season. It was the same in my town. In the off-season or non-resort areas though you can very easily get just one weekend night even in the best hotel. A lot of times it depends on the weekend. For instance this week and you would’ve had no problem getting a room for one night at the best hotel in Manhattan but the same hotel probably won’t let you have just one night if it’s july 4 weekend or NYE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events