Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 05:27 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Right, they have restricted access to these drugs, gone are the days when you could go to the ER complaining of back pain and get a months supply of Percocet or vicodin..

Of course, this translates into MUCH less opioid pills being sold/produced.

I believe the real culprits are the drug cartels and the DEA, they collude and work together, so they can both benefit, gain and profit. When you think about it, they both need each other and must rely on each other for both groups to thrive, WITHOUT the DEAs laws and enforcement, the drug cartels would have no market to profit from, WITHOUT the drug cartels and drugs they supply, the DEA would be out of work, no longer needed, no justification for their budget.

I have some coworkers that think the drug war is a great thing, they think its great that local police go after 'pill mills' and when they bust people selling opioid prescription drugs, I always tell them though, that they share this opinion with the drug cartels, without the war on drugs, the cartels would not have such a profitable market.

I would honestly go as far to say the DEA are equal to the 9-11 terrorists, actually worse, when you consider how many lives drugs have taken or destroyed, it is essentially terrorism.
It seems we learned absolutely nothing from alcohol prohibition. Prohibition doesn’t work. You restrict production and you restrict access, and people make their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 05:57 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Well, that was well over a hundred years ago, and the idea that small doses of a very potent opioid would suppress addiction without impairing mentation was a good one. The notion is used successfully in many other areas of medicine.

The same guy invented the commercial processes for both heroin and aspirin, by the way.

Yeah, I watched a documentary on the history of certain drugs and that was one of them. It was informative as I honestly didn't really know what heroin even was!

Quote:
When I tried explaining what a heroin high feels like to my dad, I said, just imagine a drug that takes all your pain away (emotional and physical), puts you in a GREAT mood, and also gives you motivation.
Interesting. I can see why people would want that and how they would be very easily addicting. My friend is a youth drug counselor and I guess the kids tell her once you feel that high it's all you want to feel.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That is not true at all. Even three years ago before my back surgery, my ortho did not prescribe me anything he sent me to pain management. Ortho’s and Neuro’s will still send people to pain management they do not prescribe their own in general. Even then three years ago, I had to wait weeks before I could get prescribed anything even by pain management, and I was literally crawling to the bathroom. It’s just not true that it’s easy if you go one step up from a GP, its not true in the slightest.
I guess it just depends on which doctor, which pharmacy, whatever that you use - I've never had a problem getting prescriptions for oxy filled - just got one filled a few weeks ago in fact. By a regular doctor at a large hospital, and got it filled at Walgreens with no issues whatsoever. We stopped to pick it up on the way home from the hospital.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:33 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,054 times
Quote:
Heroin is basically a VERY strong painkiller, heroin and morphine are almost the exact same thing, but when heroin is cooked and injected, it morphs into 6MAM.

When I tried explaining what a heroin high feels like to my dad, I said, just imagine a drug that takes all your pain away (emotional and physical), puts you in a GREAT mood, and also gives you motivation.
My sister did heroin and she explained it the exact same way except the part about motivation. She said it gave her any incredible feeling of euphoria and she felt pain free, like she was floating, up until the point that she passed out.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:54 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,586,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
DEA has responsibility for enforcing prescription drug laws, and also determines how much of each drug can be produced per year. DEA isn't just about fighting illegal drugs.

You need to get over your dislike of DEA, because the tasks they perform are mandated by law, and would be done by some agency if DEA wasn't around. DEA is not a bunch of terrorists, everythingthey do is based on laws passed by Congress.
It sometimes takes years for congress to get anything done, but funny thing, when it comes to drug laws, the DEA can create them and put them into effect very quickly.

The crackdown on prescription opioids began in 2012, when Obama was president, dems controlling congress??? So how in the world did they get this extremely tough drug law passed under democratic led congress? (dems are generally against creating new drug laws).

A federal law enforcement agency has NO business being in charge of prescription drugs, its beyond their scope, they have finagled themselves between doctor and patient now! And with HIPPA, I never authorized them to find out anything about my treatment or what medicines i was receiving, so for them to even find out if my doctor prescribed any of these drugs to me, that would be a violation of HIPPA.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
It sometimes takes years for congress to get anything done, but funny thing, when it comes to drug laws, the DEA can create them and put them into effect very quickly.

The crackdown on prescription opioids began in 2012, when Obama was president, dems controlling congress??? So how in the world did they get this extremely tough drug law passed under democratic led congress? (dems are generally against creating new drug laws).

A federal law enforcement agency has NO business being in charge of prescription drugs, its beyond their scope, they have finagled themselves between doctor and patient now! And with HIPPA, I never authorized them to find out anything about my treatment or what medicines i was receiving, so for them to even find out if my doctor prescribed any of these drugs to me, that would be a violation of HIPPA.
Just because this drives me crazy - it's HIPAA, not HIPPA.

Hr 6 is bipartisan legislation passed by Congress in 2018. It follows on the heels of bipartisan action under the previous administration in 2016. These laws were not "created by the DEA and put into effect very quickly." The opiate addiction problem IS huge in this country. I mean, it just IS.

How do you suggest that we deal with it?

Old 12-28-2018, 09:45 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,586,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Hr 6 is bipartisan legislation passed by Congress in 2018. It follows on the heels of bipartisan action under the previous administration in 2016. These laws were not "created by the DEA and put into effect very quickly." The opiate addiction problem IS huge in this country. I mean, it just IS.

Repeal the opioid prescription drug laws first (overdose and drug related deaths were much lower when addicts were using/abusing opioid pills versus street heroin).

Prescription opioids are made in controlled regulated labs, street heroin is made who knows where, could have anything mixed in that the user is unaware of.( when elephant tranquilizer/carfentanyl was secretly mixed in a batch of street heroin, it killed 1000s, users didnt know what they were ingesting).

Second, legalize and REGULATE ALL drugs. Regulation is the ONLY way to take the criminal element, the risk/ danger, out of the equation. 'prohibition style' laws were not effective with alcohol, they knew this decades ago, there is no reason why the same style laws would be effective used to combat opioids.

The drug cartels can only survive and thrive when the US has tough drug laws in place.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:11 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Banning prescriptions isn't helping, in fact deaths have skyrocketed since the opiate crackdown:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.97ea3bacc2e7

"While restrictions on prescription opioids appear to have slowed the growth in overdose fatalities involving those substances, the total number of opioid-involved overdose fatalities has accelerated due to staggering growth in overdose deaths involving heroin and synthetic opioids,” Gitis and Soto wrote.

It sounds like a pat and easy answer, but again, as we found with liquor prohibition, it doesn't work. The people who suffer are the pain patients, and more people die from heroin.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Repeal the opioid prescription drug laws first (overdose and drug related deaths were much lower when addicts were using/abusing opioid pills versus street heroin).

Prescription opioids are made in controlled regulated labs, street heroin is made who knows where, could have anything mixed in that the user is unaware of.( when elephant tranquilizer/carfentanyl was secretly mixed in a batch of street heroin, it killed 1000s, users didnt know what they were ingesting).

Second, legalize and REGULATE ALL drugs. Regulation is the ONLY way to take the criminal element, the risk/ danger, out of the equation. 'prohibition style' laws were not effective with alcohol, they knew this decades ago, there is no reason why the same style laws would be effective used to combat opioids.

The drug cartels can only survive and thrive when the US has tough drug laws in place.
I really do wish you'd read that book Dreamland that I recommended - in my opinion it's good to hear from "the other side" to really learn about their perspective.

The WHO recently reported that 80 percent of heroin users INITIALLY abused opiate prescriptions. I think that's interesting.

Thanks for your perspective - I try to look at things from as many different angles as possible.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:01 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,756,695 times
Quote:
This argument only goes so far, though. The idea that hard drugs can be decriminalized and that will somehow end cartels, smuggling and widespread use (through almost any combination of factors) is almost certainly wrong. Look at the history of alcohol up to Prohibition, in a US that had very few laws controlling sale or consumption: the consumption rate and number of heavy users was immense - far higher in population percentage than any time since. While the writings of the temperance movements are often overwrought and based on religious injunctions, they are not wrong in describing the scale and destruction of the alcohol epidemic.

People are going to abuse substances. There is no one approach that will limit the number who do so and best accommodate and care for those who reach destructive levels of use. But legalization/decriminalization etc. as so often proposed is not, by itself, any path to a solution. It just rearranges the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events