Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 02:46 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times

Advertisements

seems like a nice enough fella, too bad for him tho

I play the lottery sometimes but am not trying to hit the grand prize, just looking for $2 or $5

Old 01-28-2019, 02:53 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
To me the real story is the $1.5 billion dollar MegaMillions prize is still unclaimed. I think they have until Aprl 21st to do so. I am all for sitting on a ticket to build a collection team, but I can't imagine trying to keep quiet on something like that for that long. I think my head would explode from excitement after about two months.
It was sold in South Carolina, which allows anonymity.

Maybe the person who won just got a divorce and wants to file taxes before claiming it. This will be the last filing that the ex-spouse will see, so they're hoping ex won't find out so they don't have to share it.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:18 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,426,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
It was sold in South Carolina, which allows anonymity.

Maybe the person who won just got a divorce and wants to file taxes before claiming it. This will be the last filing that the ex-spouse will see, so they're hoping ex won't find out so they don't have to share it.
Doesn't work like that. If the win is dated at a time you are still legally married, it can be considered as part of the marital property. Just as winning on Dec. 31st, 2018, but collecting in 2019. It's part of your 2018 income.

Woe be to you that try and hide such winnings from the judge.

Ex-Wife Loses Big in This Game of Chance - latimes

Quote:
During his 25 years of marriage, Thomas Rossi never saw a marriage counselor, never strayed and never doubted a relationship so close that he shared an electric toothbrush with his wife, he said.

Then Denise Rossi shocked him by demanding a divorce. And she wanted it in a hurry.

Now he knows why: On Dec. 28, 1996--just 11 days before she filed for divorce--Denise Rossi won $1.3 million in the California Lottery.

She told no one in her divorce case, and Monday her secret caught up with her. A Los Angeles family court judge ruled that she had violated state asset disclosure laws and awarded her lottery winnings to her ex-husband. Every penny.

Superior Court Judge Richard Denner determined that she acted out of fraud or malice. He based his decision on a deposition in which Denise Rossi admitted that she concealed her winnings because she didn't want her ex-husband "getting his hands on" them.
Even if it was collected anonymously, there still would be a notice of collection. Either someone has great self-control or it was lost when someone cleaned out their truck.

Then again, miracles can happen:

https://www.wdsu.com/article/mandevi...s-say/25241828

Quote:
A Mandeville couple got a big surprise while doing some housecleaning this week.

Harold and Tina Ehrenberg claimed a $1.8 million jackpot winning ticket for the June 6 drawing, officials with the Louisiana Lottery said Tuesday.

The Ehrenbergs only had two weeks to spare before the prize was set to expire.

"We have family coming into town for Thanksgiving, so I was cleaning up the house and found a few lottery tickets on my nightstand that we hadn’t checked,” Tina Ehrenberg said during the couple’s trip to lottery headquarters on Nov. 19.

Officials said the couple visited the lottery's website to see if they were winners and noticed the ticket matched all the numbers.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:23 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
Doesn't work like that. If the win is dated at a time you are still legally married, it can be considered as part of the marital property. Just as winning on Dec. 31st, 2018, but collecting in 2019. It's part of your 2018 income.

Woe be to you that try and hide such winnings from the judge.

Ex-Wife Loses Big in This Game of Chance - latimes

How would the ex find out? Do lotteries check for recent divorces? I know they check for any child support owed.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:25 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Most people can’t even handle the little money they have not let alone $125M after tax $. It’s not a stressful or painful problem to have if you just follow a very systemic method of protecting yourself.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:07 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Am I the only person who wouldn't buy a "new, bigger and better house"? I don't want a big house, even if I have a gajillion dollars. I mean, I would buy a house (because I'm in an apartment now), but I would still want a small place. The location is more important to me than having 18 bedrooms and 15-1/2 baths. I'm thinking a 2 bedroom cottage with a spectacular view.

But I also don't need a Maserati or Bentley or more car than I need. I would upgrade to something with heated seats and remote start. LOL!

In my perfect dream world...

I would buy a place big enough, for friends and family to come and visit us. And it would be someplace on the water. Preferably, I'm thinking someplace in Louisiana. Lake Charles maybe. Or maybe Florida. And I'd have a few acres...out in the country. Soooo...it would definitely be more expensive than we have now.

I once saw a house on realtor.com of a 3 story house in Lake Charles, that overlooked the gulf. Oh...I sighed over that house many times. I dubbed that house "P's Barbie Dream House". It was beautiful and perfect to me. lol

Old 01-29-2019, 08:32 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
There's good reason for not allowing anonymity ... transparency. People would be questioning the legitimacy of the lottery if they never actually saw winners.
In this day and age there's no good reason to NOT allow anonymity. I don't need to know who won the lottery. If I buy a ticket I check my numbers. If they aren't the winning numbers, I'm not worried about it. I lose, and move on.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:57 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,426,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
How would the ex find out? Do lotteries check for recent divorces? I know they check for any child support owed.
I'm sure they don't, and I'm not sure what a lawyer or CPA's legal responsibility is if they were to find out. I imagine you could get away with it, but you would have to distance yourself from every aspect of your former life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
In this day and age there's no good reason to NOT allow anonymity. I don't need to know who won the lottery. If I buy a ticket I check my numbers. If they aren't the winning numbers, I'm not worried about it. I lose, and move on.
I would prefer not having the general public know that I am suddenly rich, but at the same time, I would like to know that even with it's ridiculous odds, it's still an honest game.

With all the prize money given out by Publisher's Clearinghouse, how come you never hear of any of those winners going nuts or being swindled. Granted, it's not the same as 100 million, but even at $5k a week for life, you think that someone would mess that up or even create some sort of charity. Good or bad, I have never heard of past winners.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:21 AM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
I think it would be kind of fun telling all the leeches to get lost and have a nice life.

I would mostly fear the money managers and lawyers stealing from me so I'd probably have a big room with a zero gravity chair and six big monitors watching my accounts and investments. Doesn't sound like much fun but I'd prefer it to handing over my control to unknown entities.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:47 AM

133 posts, read 173,792 times
He needs to speak with an attorney and a cpa. Setup an LLC under which to collect.

Then move to an area where there are others that make him look like a pauper. He could blend in, have nice toys and a nice home and wouldn't stickout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events