Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 11:32 AM

16,415 posts, read 12,492,377 times

Advertisements

People still eat Cracker Jacks?

I suspect it's more likely that they were eliminating it from their offerings because it wasn't selling all that well, and decided use the opportunity to spin it as being "allergy friendly"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 11:41 AM

11,769 posts, read 5,785,673 times
You did wonderful! We are shamed into believing these days that we are the bad guys because we think that people have to take responsibility for their actions, situations ect…

But it's the me, me society that feels that everyone has to change because of a few and I'm done with it as most Americans are. We're all here to help and assist but I'm sick of giving up things or having things change because of a small minority of the population.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:58 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,154 times
Since baseball is usually an outdoor event why not have a certain section of the grandstands reserved for those with such allergies.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:11 PM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Since baseball is usually an outdoor event why not have a certain section of the grandstands reserved for those with such allergies.
Oh no way in heck. We had this situation at school and it was brought up in a meeting that we should have a table for all the allergy kids so that extra parents could monitor what they were eating.

The Parents of the "special" kids all threw a fit. No, they wanted all the foods their kids were allergic to banned from the lunchroom. That all sack lunches be gone through before the rest of the kids were allowed to eat. The allergy kids were trading food with non-allergy kids evidently.

The same school had a ton of kids brought in as refugees and since they didn't have income besides govt subsidy they were on the free lunch program. The parents immediately demanded a halal option!! They demanded their free meals prepared a certain way. They could have simply had a salad for lunch.

So, a good idea? Ya, no way gonna work though.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:23 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,017,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I do feel sympathy for people with any kind of special need, but most of the time, I think that people who expect everyone else to cater to their or their child's "specialness" are selfish in most (but certainly not all) cases. Since when did it become okay for the wants of a very small minority to outweigh the wants of the GREAT majority? (Unless, of course, in the case of an immediate life-threatening situation or in cases of illegal discrimination, for example.)

I think that 99% of the population should not be inconvenienced because of a special condition of the remaining 1% unless the 1% could not live unless his/her special need was accommodated in some way. If I was part of the population who could not eat peanuts (or had a child who could not eat peanuts), I would simply take personal control to prevent an allergic reaction from happening, meaning that I would either stay home or do whatever it took to not come in contact with something that could kill me or my child.

Btw, I lived with a severely disabled brother abut 50 years ago, and my parents would not have even thought of asking (let alone demanding) that everyone else kowtow to him.

But, as others have indicated, this is not an issue of great important to all but a relatively few.

Are you REALLY inconvenienced by the lack of crackerjacks at a AA league baseball game?

Bottom line is: the owners decided to do this. The owners get to decide. The owners were moved to sympathy for those people with LIFE THREATENING allergies to peanuts.

It doesn't mean that people don't get to eat at the ball game. Like the article said...there are over 200 offerings at the ballpark. Can you truly NOT be appeased by something else?

Old 02-13-2019, 12:25 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
People still eat Cracker Jacks?

I suspect it's more likely that they were eliminating it from their offerings because it wasn't selling all that well, and decided use the opportunity to spin it as being "allergy friendly"
That was my thought too. I go to a few baseball games each year. Everyone is eating hot dogs and nachos. I can't recall ever seeing anyone buy cracker jacks from those vendors that walk around the stadium. Most stadiums are trying to up their food game, coming up with creative and fun food choices. I'm sure this stadium is no different.

And yes, I know that just because I don't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I'm just saying, they don't seem to be a popular baseball snack.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:34 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,017,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
That was my thought too. I go to a few baseball games each year. Everyone is eating hot dogs and nachos. I can't recall ever seeing anyone buy cracker jacks from those vendors that walk around the stadium. Most stadiums are trying to up their food game, coming up with creative and fun food choices. I'm sure this stadium is no different.

And yes, I know that just because I don't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I'm just saying, they don't seem to be a popular baseball snack.

And I suspect that's the way MOST people feel about Crackerjacks. I mean seriously, how many people are TRULY put out that you can't buy them anymore at a AA LEAGUE ball park. We're not even talking about major league baseball...and some of these folks would begrudge someone getting ill from a life threatening allergy.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:55 PM

19,802 posts, read 9,341,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Are you REALLY inconvenienced by the lack of crackerjacks at a AA league baseball game?

Bottom line is: the owners decided to do this. The owners get to decide. The owners were moved to sympathy for those people with LIFE THREATENING allergies to peanuts.

It doesn't mean that people don't get to eat at the ball game. Like the article said...there are over 200 offerings at the ballpark. Can you truly NOT be appeased by something else?
To be clear, the "issue" of peanuts, specifically, is NOT the issue. The issue goes WAY beyond that to the fact that many people feel that their individual wants should supersede the wants and rights of everyone else.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:13 PM

16,415 posts, read 12,492,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Oh no way in heck. We had this situation at school and it was brought up in a meeting that we should have a table for all the allergy kids so that extra parents could monitor what they were eating.

The Parents of the "special" kids all threw a fit. No, they wanted all the foods their kids were allergic to banned from the lunchroom. That all sack lunches be gone through before the rest of the kids were allowed to eat. The allergy kids were trading food with non-allergy kids evidently.

The same school had a ton of kids brought in as refugees and since they didn't have income besides govt subsidy they were on the free lunch program. The parents immediately demanded a halal option!! They demanded their free meals prepared a certain way. They could have simply had a salad for lunch.

So, a good idea? Ya, no way gonna work though.
School lunchrooms and baseball stadiums are completely different situations.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:19 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,567,354 times
It isn't a big deal, but just another indictor of our overly offended, overly sensitive, overly wussy society. Does the sight of a package that may contain a peanut put people at risk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events