Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2019, 08:47 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Wrong, was wrong hundreds of posts ago and remains wrong.

The tv was addressed to someone else. It was never sent to Memmo, it was delivered to him in error. He doesn't get to keep it and pretend - in his own words - that he won the lottery, any more than he owns someone's house because they mistakenly left the door unlocked and he was able to walk inside.
Never mind that I never argued he gets to keep it. I clearly stated that he would lose the lawsuit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 08:51 AM

10,735 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
That is irrelevant. It doesn't matter what the law was designed for. Often laws have unintended consequences. That is why laws are continuously being amended or repealed.

Also I disagree with you that was not what the law was designed to do. I believe those laws were made to protect people from receiving unsolicited items, and then being expected to pay for, or return the items. I believe this case is exactly what the law was intended for. This man is not an employee of Amazon or their shipping company. He is not getting paid to spend even one second of his time to fix their stupid mistake, and the law is clear, he is not obligated to.
Post #417. Why do you keep ignoring it?

Old 06-14-2019, 08:59 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Post #417. Why do you keep ignoring it?
I'm ignoring a lot of stuff in this thread, because it keeps going in circles. I don't agree with that post.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:00 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Never mind that I never argued he gets to keep it. I clearly stated that he would lose the lawsuit.
Yet you also clearly stated that it was your opinion there wasn't a crime. The police and whoever authorized the arrest warrant disagree. Keeping property that doesn't belong to you is in fact a crime.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:04 AM

50,766 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Yes, it doesn't matter if it was him that signed or not. The delivery service would have had a harder time proving he had it though if he hadn't signed, which is why someone signs for expensive items.

If his son had signed he would still likely lose the lawsuit. If his intention was to keep it, he wasn't the brightest person in the world in achieving that. He thought he was right, he wasn't exactly.

Being that he signed, the delivery person could recognize him as the person that signed and he admitted to having it means if sued, he is going to be on the hook for the television.

He did admit he had it, multiple times. He simply refused to give it back, even when the police went to his home. Pretty sure if it were civil the police would have told the TV store that instead of going out there. I love how people think they know the law better then law enforcement does.

In the example I used about the car dealer accidentally delivering a car you paid in full for to your neighbor instead of you. Do you really think you would have to sue and wait years, and let him drive a car in the meantime for all that time that you paid for? Simply because the delivery guy dropped it at 1130 Smith Street instead of 130 Smith Street? You would just kiss that $35,000 goodbye until your day in court comes, and in the meantime have to go buy another car? Or you think the dealer should be on the hook for $35,000 simply because the delivery guy missed a digit in the address? Is that what you think should happen in that case???

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 06-14-2019 at 09:13 AM..

Old 06-14-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Yet you also clearly stated that it was your opinion there wasn't a crime. The police and whoever authorized the arrest warrant disagree. Keeping property that doesn't belong to you is in fact a crime.
This is a civil matter. Even the laws brought forward to show where he can not keep the item state it is a civil matter and the resolution is a lawsuit.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
He did admit he had it, multiple times. He simply refused to give it back, even when the police went to his home. Pretty sure if it were civil the police would have told the TV store that instead of going out there. I love how people think they know the law better then law enforcement does.
Just because the police do something, that does not make it factual, lawful, or legal. I could post articles for days on end where the police arrest someone and then that person ends up with a large settlement.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-c...-suit-n1003121

https://www.apnews.com/7e616c0681b84ab59d8aa62d7ab0636d

https://www.mcall.com/news/police/mc...130-story.html

https://www.acluak.org/en/news/aclu-...rest-immigrant

Just because the police arrest you on something does not automatically make it legit.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
This is a civil matter. Even the laws brought forward to show where he can not keep the item state it is a civil matter and the resolution is a lawsuit.
Remind me again, where did you get your law degree?

Old 06-14-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Remind me again, where did you get your law degree?
Are you disputing what I said? A few pages back where one tried to show that this is not the same as a company actually sending you an item, it is noted that this is a civil issue and to get the item back requires a lawsuit.

If you dispute that, please provide corresponding evidence.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Are you disputing what I said? A few pages back where one tried to show that this is not the same as a company actually sending you an item, it is noted that this is a civil issue and to get the item back requires a lawsuit.

If you dispute that, please provide corresponding evidence.
You can go first, and prove your claim that this is only a civil matter and not a criminal one. PS, there was an arrest warrant issued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events