Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2020, 03:06 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times

Advertisements

Anybody know if there's any scientific basis for what is being opened up and what is being left closed? I know of one Chinese study that traced 2000 infections and determined that most happened in the home, while other indoor were secondary vectors. Something like that seems like it would be essential for deciding whether to open churches before nail salons or what have you.

We've had 2 months to research where Covid-19 is being transmitted and then craft corresponding policy. Anybody know of any such studies being used by those determining what and when to reopen?

Cuz, I suspect, that our leaders are just making **** up as they go, hoping that the 6' indoor spacing is some sort of magic bullet.

I'm looking for something like a 1000 case trace/track that determines 60% of infections come from schools, 20% come from bars, etc. Etc.

I mean, people are claiming we are reopening some places and keeping others closed via a "data-driven" process, right? So where is the data?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 04:48 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Very nice and detailed answer! I completely agree. The mask compliance in our state is low and diminishing. That's what makes it hard to be optimistic about opening up.
Went to my local Kroger this afternoon to pick up RX for my dog—
Instacart won’t pick up RX when you place a grocery order
I wore a respirator (not cloth/paper mask) and had gloves on
I saw many people in store not wearing masks—more men than women
One older woman I saw walking in as I went out had a paper mask pulled below her nose—
What good does that do???

So much ignorance...and maybe arrogance that they won’t catch it...

Old 05-13-2020, 04:50 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Anybody know if there's any scientific basis for what is being opened up and what is being left closed? I know of one Chinese study that traced 2000 infections and determined that most happened in the home, while other indoor were secondary vectors. Something like that seems like it would be essential for deciding whether to open churches before nail salons or what have you.

We've had 2 months to research where Covid-19 is being transmitted and then craft corresponding policy. Anybody know of any such studies being used by those determining what and when to reopen?

Cuz, I suspect, that our leaders are just making **** up as they go, hoping that the 6' indoor spacing is some sort of magic bullet.

I'm looking for something like a 1000 case trace/track that determines 60% of infections come from schools, 20% come from bars, etc. Etc.

I mean, people are claiming we are reopening some places and keeping others closed via a "data-driven" process, right? So where is the data?
You are asking for SCIENCE from this WH
How does that compute???

The only science Trump is interested in is how to keep his hair from blowing over getting off AF1

Old 05-13-2020, 04:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post

Funny you should ask that. There's a big brou-ha-ha going on over on the Current Events forum about that. Some people think it's "obvious" that these decisions are being made on the basis of science, but it's pretty clear that is not the case. You can go to a liquor store, you can buy a house or a car, but you can't go to a book store or library or department store.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:15 PM

4,177 posts, read 5,056,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Yeah, I get that they look for IgG and IgM but I was wondering the specific test - maker and what type of analysis equipment they used with the test. I know there are a few different types of test and using ELISA assay is the best supposedly. I want to eventually get one but need to do some more research on what is the best options.

I forked over the $119 for Quest Diagnostics' test... "a high-complexity laboratory-based qualitative immunoglobulin G (IgG) SARS-CoV-2 immunoassay". Came back negative.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:37 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
I forked over the $119 for Quest Diagnostics' test... "a high-complexity laboratory-based qualitative immunoglobulin G (IgG) SARS-CoV-2 immunoassay". Came back negative.
Quest uses the best test available to us, the Abbott test. Roche has a very good one too but its harder to find. The FDA released the results on the tests a week ago.

Little reason to pay to get the test if you didn't have contact with someone who tested positive OR didn't have presentable symptoms since February.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:41 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Quest uses the best test available to us, the Abbott test. Roche has a very good one too but its harder to find. The FDA released the results on the tests a week ago.

Little reason to pay to get the test if you didn't have contact with someone who tested positive OR didn't have presentable symptoms since February.
I know it's pointless but couldn't resist paying for the test (negative). I had a very severe illness over the winter "sicker than I've ever been in my life"and there were early COVID cases in the nearby ski town from tourists, so... Good clean fun, these days. I wasn't gonna change my life or behavior no matter what.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:49 PM

4,177 posts, read 5,056,132 times
Quote:
I thought so, thanks for confirming.

Quote:
I was quite unwell over President's Day weekend, I work in a lab that has 90 other people in it, and live in a town that had a higher per-capita infection rate than NYC.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:21 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post

I was hoping Quest would have a good one. Not a bad price as well!

Old 05-13-2020, 06:59 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Beware of your cats! https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.105...ed_coronavirus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events