Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2020, 03:09 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Pfizer and Moderna should have added students in dorms to their efficacy studies. They would know pretty quick... oh well. Maybe JnJ can get in on the college student spreading events.
I was thinking the exact same thing. And given that many of the established health science campuses are part of a university system that contains major undergrad campuses, the logistics and feasibility would likely be in place to rather easily recruit and follow college students. I seriously wonder why they haven't done this and if anyone knows whether they have at least explored this.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 03:28 PM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Large, well-illustrated article in today's NY Times about the virus and how it works.

Excerpt: "In February, as the new coronavirus swept across China and shut down entire cities, a scientist named Sai Li set out to paint its portrait. At the time, the best pictures anyone had managed to take were low-resolution images, in which the virus looked like a barely discernible smudge.

Dr. Li, a structural biologist at Tsinghua University in Beijing, joined forces with virologists who were rearing the virus in a biosafety lab in the city of Hangzhou. Those researchers doused the viruses with chemicals to render them harmless and then sent them to Dr. Li.

Dr. Li and his colleagues then concentrated the virus-laden fluid from a quart down to a single drop. He could only hope that they had done everything just right, so that the weeks of work to produce that drop would not have been a waste.

“At the time, you don’t know what’s inside,” Dr. Li said. “It’s just liquid, right?” Dr. Li carefully froze the drop in a fraction of a second. If he made the slightest mistake, ice crystals could spear the viruses, tearing them apart.

Hoping for the best, Dr. Li placed the smidgen of ice into a cryo-electron microscope. The device fired beams of electrons at the sample. As they bounced off the atoms inside, Dr. Li’s computer reconstructed what the microscope had seen. When the picture formed, he was taken aback. “I saw a screen full of viruses,” Dr. Li recalled."

Tons more info in the article.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-10-2020, 08:20 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,864 times
Default What's going on with rt.live?

I've been consulting https://rt.live/ every day since I first heard about it. It is usually updated around 8 a.m. every day. Now it has not been updated since Oct.8.
Does anyone know why it's not being updated?

Old 10-11-2020, 11:13 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I've been consulting https://rt.live/ every day since I first heard about it. It is usually updated around 8 a.m. every day. Now it has not been updated since Oct.8.
Does anyone know why it's not being updated?
Currently shows last update Oct. 11, 11:24PM.

Old 10-11-2020, 01:31 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Currently shows last update Oct. 11, 11:24PM.

I see they updated today but it says it was at 9:24 a.m. Maybe they were having problems with the time/date software.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:32 AM

6,336 posts, read 2,889,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala096 View Post
The Governor of Wisconsin issued a state wide mask mandate on July 31st. About a month after that mandate, Wisconsin started seeing a huge spike in daily cases and now their test positivity rate is exceeding 20%. It begs the question how effective was that mask mandate in slowing the spread?
I just noticed that about France. Cases are surging there even though they put in a mask mandate back in August. I think it's because people don't do the other things you have to do along with masks - like hand washing after taking it off. The mask gets the virus on it and stops you from breathing it, but then you touch the mask and later touch your face. Or you put the mask down on a table and don't wash the table. In a lab they have people toss PPE in the trash then wash their hands after every use. And even in labs people don't always wash their hands every time.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:35 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,322,083 times
Found a curious tidbit from an official Russian Protocol on preventing COVID infection for healthcare personnel.

"After medical evacuation of the patient, the healthcare professional who identified
the patient, takes off his PPE, places them in a tank with a disinfectant solution,
treats shoes and hands with a disinfectant solution, completely changes clothes
in a spare set of clothing. The exposed parts of the body are treated with skin
antiseptic.
Rinse the mouth and throat with 70% ethyl alcohol, into the nose and eyes
instill 2% boric acid solution.

The head of the medical organization in which the patient was identified,
organizes the collection of biological material (nasopharyngeal swab) from all
medical professionals and those who were in contact with him, and directs them to
conducting appropriate laboratory research.

Wonder about the rational for a highlighted... Do they know something we don't know? Does it make sense? Could it be used by everyone (after being in a grocery, Uber, medical office?)
Do our healthcare workers have any recommendations like that?

Old 10-12-2020, 08:49 AM

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/12/us-a...treatment.html

Old 10-12-2020, 09:28 AM

497 posts, read 553,711 times
The IHME model is currently projecting 323,338 deaths by January 1st. That's 91,752 fewer deaths than the model was projecting just a month ago. Back on 9/11 the model was projecting 1400 daily deaths by the middle of October while the reality is we are averaging 700 daily deaths... they overshot the daily death projections by 200%. As January 1st approaches, the IHME model will likely keep revising their January 1st death projections down to match reality. The model is now projecting 394,693 deaths by February 1st which is still 20,397 fewer deaths than their January 1st deaths projections they were making a month ago. Yet the media keeps citing their projections like it's gospel... the media even has the gall to defend the models accuracy which is insanity to me.

Old 10-12-2020, 05:49 PM

Default Pfizer amending protocol to expand inclusion to younger people (teens)

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing. And given that many of the established health science campuses are part of a university system that contains major undergrad campuses, the logistics and feasibility would likely be in place to rather easily recruit and follow college students. I seriously wonder why they haven't done this and if anyone knows whether they have at least explored this.....

https://www.businessinsider.com/pfiz...nagers-2020-10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events