Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 03:08 PM

50,727 posts, read 36,431,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It's called the Laws of Kashrut. Kashrut is a set of dietary laws dealing with the foods that Jews are permitted to eat and how those foods must be prepared according to Jewish law. Check it out - even the meat of rabbit is forbidden. These are the Laws of Kashrut and the lists of prohibited foods:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashrut#Prohibited_foods

Well I’m a bad Jew then, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2020, 11:34 AM

5,708 posts, read 4,280,363 times
I cook all meat very well, including fish, and I always have. I will not eat raw meat, period.

Even so, (I will spare you the gory details which would have many of you screaming and/or running for the barf bucket) I once harbored an impressive fish tapeworm in my gut for who knows how long. I have no idea how I got it, could have been a piece of fish that didn't get cooked well enough, could have been reintroduced accidentally by me handling contaminated fish (I've seen cysts in fish that I bought at market, although a different species than I hosted), could have been the one time in my life I ate sushi,could have been from when I handled live, dead and recently caught fish at work or from some cold-smoked fish I ate somewhere along the line. Bringing this back to religion, fish tapeworm used to be common among Jewish fish processors in the Great Lakes Region.

Old 10-15-2020, 03:48 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't think that's possible because cattle don't eat meat.
Actually, Cattle do eat meat. Horses, too. Not often, as they are not chiefly predators, but they will when given the chance. In nature, while browsing, ruminants will often advantageously eat ground nesting birds, eggs, and rodents.

Cow eats chicken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3NOhQlPGAU

Horse eats chicken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP6dvgo25Z8

Deer eating a bird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQOQdBLHrLk

Old 10-15-2020, 07:13 PM

5,708 posts, read 4,280,363 times
herbirvores eat placentas...moose have been known to consume their dead newborn calves to "protect" it from wolves...

Old 10-16-2020, 07:21 AM

50,727 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I cook all meat very well, including fish, and I always have. I will not eat raw meat, period.

Even so, (I will spare you the gory details which would have many of you screaming and/or running for the barf bucket) I once harbored an impressive fish tapeworm in my gut for who knows how long. I have no idea how I got it, could have been a piece of fish that didn't get cooked well enough, could have been reintroduced accidentally by me handling contaminated fish (I've seen cysts in fish that I bought at market, although a different species than I hosted), could have been the one time in my life I ate sushi,could have been from when I handled live, dead and recently caught fish at work or from some cold-smoked fish I ate somewhere along the line. Bringing this back to religion, fish tapeworm used to be common among Jewish fish processors in the Great Lakes Region.
Wow, I can't even imagine! Must have been horrifying.

Old 10-16-2020, 07:17 PM

13,245 posts, read 7,295,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post

I grew up in Southern California near the ocean so we did lot of fishing, and also did lot of bass fishing later in my 20's. Never thought about what you said, but I could see how cleaning a fish get these tiny parasites on your fingers. Maybe you eat lunch like a sandwich don't really wash hands that well maybe rinse them off in a lake who carries soap when you go fishing. You want to clean the guts out right away before 2 hour drive home. Never thought about it but I could see that being a way to transmit a tape worm.

Old 10-17-2020, 11:42 PM

29,510 posts, read 22,630,868 times
Be very leery of sushi as well.

I never had a problem (as far as I know) but no longer eat raw anything including seafood. Yes I don't eat animal products for the most part but in the past have once in a blue moon ate seafood.

How the sushi boom is fuelling tapeworm infections

Sushi Worm Parasite

Quote:
How do the worms get into our brain, causing so-called neurognathostomiasis? Gnathostoma worms are highly invasive parasites. After you leave the sushi bar, the larvae can penetrate the wall of your intestine. They can then enter the brain through the base of the skull, crawling along the spinal nerves and vessels. They start out in the nerve roots, enter the spinal cord, and then can climb up into the brain. The worm isn’t poisonous or anything; it’s just the migration of the worm through the body that causes direct mechanical injury because of tearing of nerve tissues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yfJ88R2lI4

Old 10-18-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Be very leery of sushi as well.

I never had a problem (as far as I know) but no longer eat raw anything including seafood. Yes I don't eat animal products for the most part but in the past have once in a blue moon ate seafood.

How the sushi boom is fuelling tapeworm infections

Sushi Worm Parasite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yfJ88R2lI4
Last time I was in for a colonoscopy I asked my Doctor if he had seen worms before he told me he had mostly when he had done a rotation in 3rd world country. He had seen some worms in stomachs doing EGD's from eating sushi in the US before.

Old 10-19-2020, 12:00 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I have heard of this before usually its from eating under-cooked pork in 3rd world nations. One reason I always cook pork well done.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/03/austr..._blogfooterold
I'm surprised this made the news. Neurocysticercosis is reasonably common, about 1,000-5,000 cases/year in the US.

Old 10-19-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
I'm surprised this made the news. Neurocysticercosis is reasonably common, about 1,000-5,000 cases/year in the US.
CDC says 1000 cases a year not sure how you conclude that is common? The odd thing about neurocysticercosis one has to ingest the pork tapeworm. Then they go to the bathroom where they don't wash their hands all that well and the eggs are on their fingers they prepare food next person eats those eggs. The woman in the story says she ingested the eggs from someone else who didn't wash their hands.

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/resour...ticercosis.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events