Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 01:09 AM

13,232 posts, read 7,286,273 times

Advertisements

I have heard of this before usually its from eating under-cooked pork in 3rd world nations. One reason I always cook pork well done.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/03/austr..._blogfooterold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2020, 03:54 AM

61,648 posts, read 87,001,838 times
It's nothing new, I read about it quite often, although they are more common in intestines. But once there, it can migrate with the blood over the whole body and enter the brain.
Tapeworms can be VERY long - some found were about 80!!! feet and can live in a human body for 30+ years!
People usually get infected by eating food or drinking water contaminated by tapeworm eggs from human feces or eating raw veggies or meat. Mostly common in Asian underdeveloped countries with poor hygiene.
https://www.livescience.com/spiromet...orm-brain.html

Old 10-09-2020, 07:53 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I have heard of this before usually its from eating under-cooked pork in 3rd world nations. One reason I always cook pork well done.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/03/austr..._blogfooterold
I would think she got it from pork but the article says they think she got it from eating something contaminated by someone that was infected.

Quote:
This condition is known as neurocysticercosis, which can cause neurological symptoms when larval cysts develop in the brain. People who get the parasitic infection do so by swallowing eggs found in the feces of a person who has an intestinal tapeworm, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Neurocysticercosis is deadly, and a leading cause of adult onset epilepsy worldwide, the CDC said.
Tapeworms typically take up residence in human's intestines, an infection known as taeniasis, and some can pass on their own without medication. The parasite is commonly transmitted when people consume undercooked pork -- pigs are often intermediary tapeworm hosts -- or come in contact with food, water and soil contaminated with tapeworm eggs.

The woman, who worked as a barista, was considered to be at no or very low risk of infection with tapeworm larvae but is believed to have somehow accidentally ingested tapeworm eggs released from a carrier.

Old 10-09-2020, 08:24 AM

13,232 posts, read 7,286,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It's nothing new, I read about it quite often, although they are more common in intestines. But once there, it can migrate with the blood over the whole body and enter the brain.
Tapeworms can be VERY long - some found were about 80!!! feet and can live in a human body for 30+ years!
People usually get infected by eating food or drinking water contaminated by tapeworm eggs from human feces or eating raw veggies or meat. Mostly common in Asian underdeveloped countries with poor hygiene.
https://www.livescience.com/spiromet...orm-brain.html
I remember this came up when the North Korean soldier ran across the DMZ was shot. The surgeon said they found worms inside him. There was discussion that the North Koreans were using raw sewage human waste to fertilize crops an idea that Kim Jong Un came up with.

Old 10-09-2020, 02:34 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I remember this came up when the North Korean soldier ran across the DMZ was shot. The surgeon said they found worms inside him. There was discussion that the North Koreans were using raw sewage human waste to fertilize crops an idea that Kim Jong Un came up with.
Not just North Korea. My sister worked with farming Peruvians in the Andes and trying to improve sanitation by providing outhouses. They objected, saying "what will we fertilize our crops with"?

I wonder about their infectious rate!

Old 10-09-2020, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Not just North Korea. My sister worked with farming Peruvians in the Andes and trying to improve sanitation by providing outhouses. They objected, saying "what will we fertilize our crops with"?

I wonder about their infectious rate!

Not only China and Peru. Our technology is working on it too...
https://www.mprnews.org/story/2018/1...lizer-research

Old 10-09-2020, 11:27 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
My great uncle died of trichinosis in San Francisco, I think it was around 1915. He owned a bar and cooked pigs on a spit behind the bar, I guess one of them didn't get cooked enough, he ate it and died, he was a young healthy French immigrant

Old 10-10-2020, 02:19 AM

Oooops... I never cook pork to be well done. It's just getting really tough the longer you cook it. Mine is "done" at 130F or so.
Now thinking about worms will keep me awake...

Old 10-10-2020, 04:03 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,610,431 times
Gross!

My ex loved his steak raw. A lovely filet mignon bestowed a sweet gift of 10 days of diarrhea, cramps, dashes to the bathroom, bloating, flatulence, and non-stop gurgling sounds from his gut that I'll never forget as I laid next to him in bed doing our usual reading before retiring. Trichinosis was the likely culprit.

Old 10-10-2020, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
Gross!

My ex loved his steak raw. A lovely filet mignon bestowed a sweet gift of 10 days of diarrhea, cramps, dashes to the bathroom, bloating, flatulence, and non-stop gurgling sounds from his gut that I'll never forget as I laid next to him in bed doing our usual reading before retiring. Trichinosis was the likely culprit.
Likely? So, he never found out if that was trichinosis or perhaps was it E. coli?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events