Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2021, 01:29 PM

17,454 posts, read 16,639,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Remember when Chandra Levy's remains were found long after a grid search of the area surrounding her jogging trail was performed? I think they had a grid that indicated the searchers were two feet apart in their group searches, covering that specific area.

So either that was false, and the searchers really didn't search that carefully, or they stepped on her remains while they were looking for her.

It is baffling, sometimes that decaying remains are missed by grid searchers, and yet if a cat dies in your sewer you know it for a couple weeks.
I think that Chandra had been buried and her skeleton was simply unearthed. There were all sorts of searches for her and if she had been visible someone would have seen her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I think that Chandra had been buried and her skeleton was simply unearthed. There were all sorts of searches for her and if she had been visible someone would have seen her.
If Jason met foul play it's possible that he is also buried somewhere near his car, assuming that he was the one driving the car in the first place. Do we know that for a fact?

Old 04-29-2021, 01:41 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 25 days ago)

35,749 posts, read 18,091,770 times
Quote:
If Jason met foul play it's possible that he is also buried somewhere near his car, assuming that he was the one driving the car in the first place. Do we know that for a fact?
I believe forensics have been done on the car; there doesn't seem to be much speculation that he wasn't the driver.

Also, a witness and then LE were on the scene within 45 minutes of his car crash so it's hard to believe someone was there on scene burying him.

From what I recall, Levy's skeleton, and a tennis shoe were found intact, on the ground in the search area and investigators believed she had been there when killed. I don't think she'd been buried - her remains, and her shoe - were right there in the search grid area.

Old 04-29-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I believe forensics have been done on the car; there doesn't seem to be much speculation that he wasn't the driver.

Also, a witness and then LE were on the scene within 45 minutes of his car crash so it's hard to believe someone was there on scene burying him.

From what I recall, Levy's skeleton, and a tennis shoe were found intact, on the ground in the search area and investigators believed she had been there when killed. I don't think she'd been buried - her remains, and her shoe - were right there in the search grid area.
If she was in the grid search how on earth did they miss her? There must have been some overgrowth or something concealing her. If I recall correctly, she was located in a wooded area, off the trail that some houses backed to.

As far as Jason goes, the only other possibility that I can think of is that he either willingly or unwillingly got into another car. Sometimes people want to disappear and start over and that could explain why the car and all identifying belongings (including clothing) were left behind. Such a strange case.

Old 04-29-2021, 02:00 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 25 days ago)

Quote:
If she was in the grid search how on earth did they miss her? There must have been some overgrowth or something concealing her. If I recall correctly, she was located in a wooded area, off the trail that some houses backed to.

As far as Jason goes, the only other possibility that I can think of is that he either willingly or unwillingly got into another car. Sometimes people want to disappear and start over and that could explain why the car and all identifying belongings (including clothing) were left behind. Such a strange case.
I think they didn't do the grid search they said they did. I think they eyeballed the area, but didn't actually walk a 2 foot square grid throughout the adjoining property.

Old 04-29-2021, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I think they didn't do the grid search they said they did. I think they eyeballed the area, but didn't actually walk a 2 foot square grid throughout the adjoining property.
I wonder if there was a physical barrier of some sort, like an area of dense undergrowth, that prevented them from walking the grid and they sort of walked around it instead of through it.

I also wonder if there has been a volunteer grid search conducted for Jason. If not, it might be worth doing.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:13 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,901,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You'd be surprised how many search and rescue teams miss remains.

I was a family advocate for a guy missing from WV in 2013. He supposedly walked home in the woods from a party where he had gotten into a fight. The SAR teams were all over the woods, even on the main drag trying to find him.

It was like 63 days later that he was finally found when he started decomposing. It was a warm fall that year, had it not been, he wouldn't have been found until the spring.

Someone who's property has the woods in their back yard, smelled him decomposing. We were thankful he was found. Unfortunately no one was charged with his death with the injuries he had from the fight. The guy that found him also did not get the reward because his "mother" who had "raised it" told him that it was only money people pledged for the reward, she wasn't interested in asking them for what they pledged. It's a huge peeve of mine when they offer a reward and don't pay. I say "mother" because his father and father's mother raised him. He didn't get along with his "mother"

Anyway, his body was 10 to 15 feet from where the SAR teams had looked so they just missed him.
Yeah I think they are just missing finding the remains. There doesn't seem to be any evidence of foul play or any reason someone would have killed him and buried him.

Old 04-30-2021, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Yeah I think they are just missing finding the remains. There doesn't seem to be any evidence of foul play or any reason someone would have killed him and buried him.
But there's seldom evidence of foul play in cases like this. There are so many missing young adults - the bulk of them healthy young men - and until they resurface or their remains are found, no one knows what happened to them.

Old 05-01-2021, 01:36 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,901,168 times
Quote:
But there's seldom evidence of foul play in cases like this. There are so many missing young adults - the bulk of them healthy young men - and until they resurface or their remains are found, no one knows what happened to them.
But those missing person cases are different. There's evidence here and all points to him having a drug or medical breakdown. Foul play doesn't make sense or in this situation.

Old 05-01-2021, 11:31 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,244,089 times
Quote:

I just read an account of the Levy case on Wikipedia. There was apparently a miscommunication about the search perimeter. When you read about how the case was handled, you realize how badly the DC police handled the investigation. Even after they finally discovered her remains, her parents hired another party who found her shin bone with wire wrapped around it still at the site. This was months after her disappearance.

In the Landry case, I suspect that bad police work is at fault as well. I imagine Landry’s remains are there, but have not been found. A naked man, moving through a December landscape had to be having some sort of crisis. And he would have perished sooner or later, unless found and rescued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events