Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 09:26 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,978,176 times

Advertisements

Why/How does rising gas prices make people want to work at Applebee's more?

Does it have to do with food pickup/delivery apps like Uber Eats no longer being feasible with rising gas prices? It was unfeasible with the gas prices as they were for most people already.

Plus these workers will have to drive to Applebees.

Old 03-29-2022, 09:27 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,978,176 times
I thought Applebees closed down completely like Model's.

Old 03-29-2022, 10:07 PM

1,878 posts, read 851,480 times
i have notice since the pandemic, resturant like apple bees and others, those mid level up from micky d's, that they dont really want my business, they make it so hard just to get a sandwich

Old 03-29-2022, 10:32 PM

17,269 posts, read 15,458,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
i have notice since the pandemic, resturant like apple bees and others, those mid level up from micky d's, that they dont really want my business, they make it so hard just to get a sandwich
Eh... Even the "cheap" fast food restaurants are becoming a pain... Order at the kiosk, grab a plastic thing with a number, go to a table, wait... And prices have drastically risen on most items...

Old 03-30-2022, 01:20 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,184,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I'm surprised that so many seem to think the primary purpose of a business is to provide paychecks to employees and not to make a profit. To a business, employees are simply labor cost, one of many costs. It's only natural that business owners (like home owners) seek to cut costs wherever they can. It's about cutting expenses to save on costs, not about the recipients of those expenses.
What happened to employees being an investment rahter than just a cost factor? Do those same business owners only buy the very cheapest equipment they can, and then wind up replacing it repeatedly because they use it to death without investing in maintenance and repair either?
As a homeowner it's not always the wisest course to cheap out wherever you can, you often wind up paying for it down the road.

Old 03-30-2022, 02:37 AM

45,464 posts, read 60,692,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
What happened to employees being an investment rahter than just a cost factor? Do those same business owners only buy the very cheapest equipment they can, and then wind up replacing it repeatedly because they use it to death without investing in maintenance and repair either?
As a homeowner it's not always the wisest course to cheap out wherever you can, you often wind up paying for it down the road.

Yes. And sometimes not even then.

"Investing in our employees" was never really more than a feel good slogan in any event.

I worked for a glass bottle maker many years ago, one of the largest employers in the area next to the coal mines. The mines are gone but that glass plant kept plugging along.

The company (a large multi-national based in the US) had a big celebration about 12 or 13 years ago when the plant turned 100 years old. Speeches were made about how the future was bright for the facility and the employees, most of whom were multi-generational. It was closed and demolished the next year.

They always talking about employees being an investment.

Old 03-30-2022, 06:34 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,691,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Why/How does rising gas prices make people want to work at Applebee's more?

Does it have to do with food pickup/delivery apps like Uber Eats no longer being feasible with rising gas prices? It was unfeasible with the gas prices as they were for most people already.

Plus these workers will have to drive to Applebees.
It’s a real mystery. Gas prices go up so that is going to inspire people to drive to an Applebee’s and work there for cheaper than they would have before? I doubt anyone is going to be encouraged not to be a stay-at-home parent by $15 an hour and high gas prices if they weren’t encouraged by $20 an hour and lower gas prices.

Old 03-30-2022, 06:59 AM

17,361 posts, read 22,108,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Can't believe anyone eats at Applebees.
Funny I had to google search where the nearest one was to my house (17.7 miles) because I couldn't remember seeing one in years. The local Fridays failed a few years back and we just had a 30+ year existing Outback Steakhouse close. I'm not a chain restaurant fan.

When we travel, we NEVER eat at any restaurant that we have at home. A Cheesecake Factory in Colorado is going to be the identical experience to one in California so why bother? That being said, a few years back we were in Sandusky, OH (Cedar Point) and the town literally has no restaurants but the Fridays at the entrance. We broke the rule that night and were thrilled to eat at Fridays after seeing what the other options in the town were!

Old 03-30-2022, 07:10 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,867,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I thought Applebees closed down completely like Model's.
You’ve managed to miss their recent constant tv commercials using tv themes songs from the 1970s and 80s? Lucky you.

Old 03-30-2022, 07:11 AM

17,269 posts, read 15,458,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Funny I had to google search where the nearest one was to my house (17.7 miles) because I couldn't remember seeing one in years. The local Fridays failed a few years back and we just had a 30+ year existing Outback Steakhouse close. I'm not a chain restaurant fan.

When we travel, we NEVER eat at any restaurant that we have at home. A Cheesecake Factory in Colorado is going to be the identical experience to one in California so why bother? That being said, a few years back we were in Sandusky, OH (Cedar Point) and the town literally has no restaurants but the Fridays at the entrance. We broke the rule that night and were thrilled to eat at Fridays after seeing what the other options in the town were!
I generally follow this rule as well... Although, Longhorn is a guilty pleasure of ours... And quite frankly, a steak is the one item that won't be the exact same from one Longhorn to the next...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events