Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 07:45 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,285,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
https://www.newsweek.com/leaked-appl...-labor-1691819

Someone needs to tell him that his theory about people being "forced back into the labor pool" due to no more enhanced unemployment benefits has been disproven in recent months.
Common sense says that if we stop paying people to not work....they will return to the labor market.
That being said I think Applebees should just pay people a decent wage.

Old 03-31-2022, 08:17 AM

1,874 posts, read 848,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
It’s a real mystery. Gas prices go up so that is going to inspire people to drive to an Applebee’s and work there for cheaper than they would have before?

there a big nursey next door to my house, that have day labor, most properly minimum wage. if gas get any higher, maybe i ned to walk next door and work there

Old 03-31-2022, 08:31 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,856,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Why not 40/wk? Because no one paying $15/hr. allows workers to get above 27hr/wk. They have software that hustles workers around the clock and around the week so they never know when they are 'on' so they can't work anywhere else. Then they have to sign crap contracts that say they can't work for a competitor if they quit.
That kind of scheduling also make it hard to get education or training that can improve a person’s life situation. There are a couple of local Walmarts that would promise all day long that they’d work around college class schedules but then once you’ve paid class tuition would then seem to go out of their way to schedule your shifts during your blocked class time and then say come into work or you’re fired.

Spousal Unit has gotten a lot of panicked calls from students over the years asking for excused absences for that reason. (Some of his classes involve projects that have to be done using equipment on campus and can’t be done at home/online)

Old 03-31-2022, 08:39 AM

880 posts, read 566,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
That kind of scheduling also make it hard to get education or training that can improve a person’s life situation. There are a couple of local Walmarts that would promise all day long that they’d work around college class schedules but then once you’ve paid class tuition would then seem to go out of their way to schedule your shifts during your blocked class time and then say come into work or you’re fired.

Spousal Unit has gotten a lot of panicked calls from students over the years asking for excused absences for that reason. (Some of his classes involve projects that have to be done using equipment on campus and can’t be done at home/online)

Yeah, this is basically nonsense and completely fake.

The vast majority of restaurants are owned by franchises, and many still literally use punch cards. Schedules are set by a manager, not by machine learning and AI algorithms (this is literally the field I work in). They're doing things on the cheap, usually running their entire business of Quickbooks or some other off the shelf box-software.

The 27 hour a week thing is so that they don't have to pay for healthcare costs due to the Affordable Care Act, which... as expected, did nothing for the cost of healthcare and forced companies to reduce the hours of everyone in order to comply.

Restaurants do not require people to sign NDAs... that is the most absurdly ridiculous thing I've ever read in my entire life, and you should be ashamed that you're pushing such complete nonsense. No one is going to be prevented from working at McDonalds because they worked at KFC. My God... the crap that people post on here is completely insane.

BOTTOM LINE... unskilled labor is not going to pay a living wage. Period. Working at a fast food restaurant does not require skill. I know, I've done it before too. Jobs like KFC, McDonalds, etc... most of them, are jobs that are meant for people to work part time, or for kids who are going to school and want extra money, or teens who are in high school for their first job.

Everything else you said is completely inane.

Old 03-31-2022, 09:08 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari2600 View Post
I raised their rent to $2,900... and best I can determine, they're appalled. They keep the inside of the home nice, but they're brutal on the property and appliances, and I've had to have the HVAC and water heater replaced, and they're constantly calling the property manager for little things that any reasonable adult would be able to fix for themselves.

When we had some rental units we implemented a repair deductible, just $75 but it really cut down on the silly calls about stopped up toilet or garbage disposal or light bulb out.

Old 03-31-2022, 09:09 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Common sense says that if we stop paying people to not work....they will return to the labor market.
That being said I think Applebees should just pay people a decent wage.

The other person said pay them "fairly" and I asked them to define "fairly" and... crickets. So I now ask you to define "decent", and why you think Applebee's isn't doing that.

Old 03-31-2022, 09:35 AM

880 posts, read 566,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
When we had some rental units we implemented a repair deductible, just $75 but it really cut down on the silly calls about stopped up toilet or garbage disposal or light bulb out.

When I first left the house... I did that for a renter that we only had for 2.5 years (before I moved back). The problem with that is that they caused so much damage to the home, that I ended up having over $12k in damages to the home... which prompted me at that point to have to complete renovate the home... all new flooring (tile, wood), all new doors, brand new luxury bathrooms... everything.

With a deductible, they will often just not even fix something unless it gets REALLY bad, and then you end up paying even more.

Old 03-31-2022, 09:42 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,285,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The other person said pay them "fairly" and I asked them to define "fairly" and... crickets. So I now ask you to define "decent", and why you think Applebee's isn't doing that.
Above my pay grade. Show me the restaurant's financials and let's see how much profit they are making, how many employees they have and their costs. Until you show the numbers I have no idea! Maybe they are losing money or breaking even now and CAN'T pay more.

Old 03-31-2022, 11:17 AM

50,829 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I grew up in a rural area and there are a number of mom&pop and small chain restaurants that actually dominate the landscape.

They have a great local reputation and have been there a long time.

That may be part of the problem in that it is a tough business and once they go under or struggle during a rough local economic patch, the corporate chains have the ability to sustain or enter losing areas and ride out the downturns.

In short and let me be clear.

We seem to have a whole bunch of first world problem, higher income, snobs that think everyone else should be foodies and "adventure eaters" and like to mock poorer folks with families for having to eat cheaply or at places with known menus because of kids etc.

Thanks for the critique from all the Chad's and Karen's out there.
Who here said anything about eating being an adventure? Not eating at a chain doesn't mean you're going to an expensive gourmet place instead. I'm not going to Olive Garden not because I'm a foodie or high income snob, but because we have many local pizza places and Italian restaurants that have better food than Olive Garden does. I don't want a breadstick, I want a basket of rolls and butter with my spaghetti. I'd rather support smaller family owned places, because I don't want them to disappear (some places seem like all they have is chains) I don't recall any posts here that fit your description above, but who knows maybe I missed them.

Chains do have more ability to stay afloat, and they were also first in line for Pandemic assistance, because the rules allowed even huge chains to apply individual locations as "small businesses".

Old 03-31-2022, 11:20 AM

50,829 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post

I agree with this completely. My nephew works at Amazon Warehouse and they do the same thing. His schedule and shift changes every week, and he often doesn't know his work schedule until a few days before. It makes it near impossible to work another job or go to school or even plan child care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events