Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2022, 09:48 AM

10,652 posts, read 7,865,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
1) They already get a piece of the pie.
2) The surest way to get a larger piece of the pie is to generate more profit for your employer.
3) There's a surfeit of incentives for those employees to gain skills that add more value to society, thereby commanding a higher total compensation.
In the context of this thread, number 2 is comical.

3-What further skills can restaurant workers gain on the job?

"..Thirty percent of former restaurant employees found office positions and 17% went into teaching or education, according to Technomic's Crisis on the Front Lines study. Many have also turned to industries that are experiencing tremendous growth. Warehouse/logistics jobs, following a boom in online sales, are up 278% and on-demand jobs, which can provide more flexibility for both workers and employers, are up 183% compared to before the pandemic, according to Snagajob data.

Most workers are leaving the restaurant industry for these three reasons: to receive higher pay (28%); for access to a more consistent schedule/income (23%); and because they lack access to professional development and promotional opportunities (17%), according to Black Box/Snagajob..."

https://www.restaurantdive.com/news/...-shows/606198/

Old 04-01-2022, 09:56 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,915,770 times
Glad to hear about the seasonal worker visas. I live adjacent to a popular summer vacation area that has long leaned on Brazilian and Romanian college kids to fill peak season gaps in the local service industry workforce and the last two summers have been very rough without them.

Old 04-01-2022, 10:00 AM

8,084 posts, read 3,987,124 times

https://aaronallen.com/blog/cost-of-opening-restaurant

Old 04-01-2022, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
What an amusing attitude.
Such sub-standard people exist. In general, they don't end up as brain surgeons.

Quote:
Maybe, just maybe, employers will have to pay a decent wage, enough to get by with a roommate, and still afford a used car and thrift store clothing and a used cell phone?
Maybe, just maybe, low-end employees will need to learn to generate a profit for their employers in order to keep a paycheck. Or go work for the government, where incompetency is not penalized. I hear the Department of Motor Vehicles is hiring.

Last edited by moguldreamer; 04-01-2022 at 10:11 AM..

Old 04-01-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Incorrect.

Quote:
"..Thirty percent of former restaurant employees found office positions and 17% went into teaching or education, according to Technomic's Crisis on the Front Lines study. Many have also turned to industries that are experiencing tremendous growth. Warehouse/logistics jobs, following a boom in online sales, are up 278% and on-demand jobs, which can provide more flexibility for both workers and employers, are up 183% compared to before the pandemic, according to Snagajob data.

Most workers are leaving the restaurant industry for these three reasons: to receive higher pay (28%); for access to a more consistent schedule/income (23%); and because they lack access to professional development and promotional opportunities (17%), according to Black Box/Snagajob..."

https://www.restaurantdive.com/news/...-shows/606198/
All of the above are good things, right? By migrating to jobs that pay more - in the quote above, warehouse/logistics, online sales, on-demand jobs (gigs) - they are adding more value to society and hence earning higher compensation.

Those who are capable of adding more value to society generally seek to do so. That's a good thing, right?

Old 04-01-2022, 11:25 AM

880 posts, read 570,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
No. This is wildly false. They do NOT offer the same classes at night.
The two I went to had only ONE slot for Calculus and Physics classes.

And I am an absolute advocate for community colleges... But... They're being phased out here and turning into "State Colleges."

That said, it is extremely cheap, and pretty much available to everyone. Obtaining an Associates degree is not a hard thing to do.

Sorry, not true. Maybe if you live in a liberal state where they are having to cut costs... either way, there are dozens of colleges that teach online now, cheap... public institutions. You're comments just aren't factual. Right now is the best time ever in world history to get a degree... there are literally thousands of institutions competing for your after-hours business. Unless it's a degree program that REQUIRES you to be in person (getting a Juris Doctorate, or a medical degree) then you can absolutely get it after hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
One of the points is that you couldn’t do all those jobs today because the main job changes your shift every week and your days off every week. How can you photograph football games on Sunday if you get your schedule on Thursday and they have you scheduled to work Saturday? How can you do the research job if you can’t reliably tell that company what days you’ll be available because you have no idea until your schedule comes out? That’s what some big employers are doing today and it is a problem because those employers provide a lot of jobs today.

I'm not really understanding you here. Why can I not do those jobs today?

When you are a salaried employee, you don't have a schedule... you work during the week. The company I work for right now lets me set my own schedule. They expect 40 hours. I give them more like ~50. At the time, I worked about 60 hours a week (about 55-60) during the week... Monday through Friday, and didn't work the weekend. There was no shift, it was an office.

The idea that hourly employees have absolutely no control over their shifts is ridiculous. As an hourly employee, you negotiate with your employer what hours and times you're generally able to work. More than that, it's actually gotten better than it was when I was younger... because people want flexibility and companies are giving it to them.

If you don't like your schedule, or your company is being unreasonable... then you quit and find another job. This is absolutely the market to do that in. It's not like employees are desperate right now.

Quote:

3-What further skills can restaurant workers gain on the job?

Why is it a restaurant's job to train an employee in a skill that has nothing to do with the restaurant?

Improving yourself is the individual's responsibility.

As much as people like you want to get rid of meritocracy, it will never go away. This is the way the world works. The overwhelming vast majority of millionaires, like myself, are newly minted. Wealth is generally lost entirely by the 3rd generation, but usually by the second. MOST of the wealthy in this country are wealthy for the first time in their families...

Old 04-01-2022, 12:16 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,875,933 times
Quote:
"Everything you read on the internet is true." -- Abraham Lincoln
Literal signs on restaurants all across the country saying that they're closed for lack of staff is probably a lie as well, right?

You don't have to look on the internet to know that the industry is suffering from lack of people willing to do this work.

Old 04-01-2022, 12:45 PM

23,176 posts, read 12,294,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
People see companies raking in the profits, the low end workers want a piece of the pie. Why shouldn't they? Applebees wouldn't exist without cooks and waiters. They could even go a step further and invest in these people. There is a restaurant I go to regularly, there are a few bartenders and waiters that have a fan club type following. People specifically request to be sat at their tables. One is currently out on maternity leave, and noticed it's been a bit slower lately.

Upper management should stop seeing them as an expense and instead see them as the people that can help bring in more business.

They shouldn't because this isn't a work coop or jointly owned venture. The employees have no investment and will not ever lose money if the company is unprofitable. They are simply hired help to perform tasks. No business would exist without the elements that allow that business to operate but that doesn't mean all elements share in the profits. You wouldn't exist without the farmers that grow your food or the doctors that make you well but do you send them a "piece of the pie" when you get a raise at work?

Old 04-01-2022, 12:46 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,625,506 times
Quote:
Such sub-standard people exist. In general, they don't end up as brain surgeons.

Maybe, just maybe, low-end employees will need to learn to generate a profit for their employers in order to keep a paycheck. Or go work for the government, where incompetency is not penalized. I hear the Department of Motor Vehicles is hiring.
The sub standard people are those who prey upon the poor.

Not maybe, but for sure, low end employees are obviously getting by without your imput, and couldn't care less about your judgment. Nor can they be forced into low end jobs, as is evident. Looks like the philosophy of Lording over others while trying to insult them simultaneously is failing.

Old 04-01-2022, 12:55 PM

880 posts, read 570,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Literal signs on restaurants all across the country saying that they're closed for lack of staff is probably a lie as well, right?

You don't have to look on the internet to know that the industry is suffering from lack of people willing to do this work.

This is one place that went out of business near my house:

Lots of reasons for the worker shortage...

But it all has to do with COVID, basically. With COVID, the whole country went into a lock-down, and even through the lock-downs and reopening, etc... there are a LOT of changes that have taken place:

1 - Boomers have been retiring in DROVES. They are all vacating senior, leadership, and also long-term positions which became vacant... and thus people were moved into these positions, freeing up lower positions.

2 - For service workers, a lot of people were laid off and received government / PPA / unemployment funds. Many of these people never came back. Many of them were part time and supplementing income, taking care of a child, etc. and are now home. Note, these people do not count as "unemployed" in both U3 or U6 calculations.

3 - Everyone, pretty much everyone, has had time to think about their jobs, their careers, and their lives. A LOT of people took the opportunity to FIRE. Some people went GIG, some people went full time to work from home, but more than anything, it led to the "Great Resignation," which I too was part of. People all over the place quit.

4 - MANY people took the opportunity while at home to take online classes, go back to school. People have FLOCKED to online learning, including myself (working towards an additional degree in law). These people are also not counted as unemployed for either U3 or U6.

Finally... a lot of parents are not allowing their kids to work, for fear of COVID and other things (people are /still/ scared of it) and the number of older teens entering the workforce is significantly down.

When I was a teen, we had higher unemployment, and I had to walk to every single store or restaurant I could find before I could get a job. The only one I didn't go to was McDonalds because I was embarrassed (which was silly). But my mom dropped me off in front and said, "don't come home without a job." so... I told my boss that, hahaah... and he gave me a job on a trial basis. But, people today don't have to worry about that... employers are paying starting bonuses and much higher salaries just to be able to get workers... many cannot afford it, and so businesses (like the one above) are going out of business.

Where I live, there have been at least 3 businesses that went out of business that were PACKED... but they couldn't find people to work, no matter how much they offered, and they closed down. This is one of them, another was an outdoor "Chilis" type restaurant... it's sad, but what can you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events