Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2022, 06:44 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,280,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
A lot of them actually do, especially in times like these.

Then the employees can go work for them. Problem solved.

Old 04-01-2022, 06:49 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,843,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Then the employees can go work for them. Problem solved.
Thanks for proving my point. That's what's happening. And these business owners who are sitting and whining about how "no one wants to work!" can go pound sand.

Old 04-01-2022, 06:52 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,270,283 times
Quote:
And you probably wouldn't make it to work if there were no mechanics to fix your car but that doesn't mean you share your salary with your mechanic. Your question is butt stupid because they will never be unable to find cooks and waiters. They are paying the market value for cooks and waiters or else those cooks and waiters already would be working elsewhere. Go ahead and concoct imaginary scenarios that will never happen in this universe if you please.

The sports star makes millions because you and millions of people buy tickets and cable packages to see them perform. When is the last time you paid to watch a teacher teach? You probably whine every time your school taxes go up by $50.
What does this even mean? If I need a mechanic, I pay for their service/labor. Restaurants are having a hard time finding staff because what they want to pay won't make a dent in paying rent, or even the gas to get to work. That's the reality of that situation.

Old 04-01-2022, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Your question is butt stupid because they will never be unable to find cooks and waiters.
Except that's exactly what's happening. Restaurants all over the country are closing their doors or cutting down on hours because they can't find staff. Just saw a segment on the nightly news about this. Guess where those who are still interested in doing this type of work are working — here's a clue — they're working wherever they want to.

Old 04-01-2022, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
What does this even mean? If I need a mechanic, I pay for their service/labor. Restaurants are having a hard time finding staff because what they want to pay won't make a dent in paying rent, or even the gas to get to work. That's the reality of that situation.

Exactly! You pay a price you're willing to pay for a service and the mechanic accepts a price they are willing to perform the service for. It's a business transaction not a social contract. You don't give a second's thought to whether the mechanic can pay his rent.

Old 04-01-2022, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Except that's exactly what's happening. Restaurants all over the country are closing their doors or cutting down on hours because they can't find staff. Just saw a segment on the nightly news about this. Guess where those who are still interested in doing this type of work are working — here's a clue — they're working wherever they want to.

Nonsense. The scattered closings make for sensational news but are extremely rare. What percentage of restaurants are closed due to lack of workers?

Old 04-01-2022, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Nonsense. The scattered closings make for sensational news but are extremely rare. What percentage of restaurants are closed due to lack of workers?
Oh, I see. Now it's a media conspiracy. That's always a convenient fallback for those who don't want to believe what's right in front of the rest of us. I suppose all those "closed for lack of staff signs" are a conspiracy as well.

https://www.businessinsider.com/labo...-rooms-2021-10

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-01-2022 at 07:19 PM..

Old 04-01-2022, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Oh, I see. Now it's a media conspiracy. That's always a convenient copout for those who don't want to believe what's right in front of the rest of us. I suppose all those "closed for lack of staff signs" are a conspiracy as well.

https://www.businessinsider.com/labo...-rooms-2021-10

You fell into the trap. That's exactly the story I had in mind, a sensationalist claimed based on a handful of anecdotal stories. They get a few failing business owners to whine and cry and blame "labor shortage". That is the precise reason I asked for percentage.

There are over a million restaurants in the US. The restaurant industry is notoriously tough and every year thousands close down. No doubt many of the owners need something to blame. Blame it on covid. Blame it on inflation. Blame it on labor shortage. Guess what? Thousands more open. The number that opens is consistently more than the numbers that close resulting in an increasing number of restaurants. That was true even in 2020 over 2021. I predict we'll see the same when 2021 numbers come in. Here's a good site for numbers and statistics.

https://www.statista.com/topics/1135...sierKeyfigures

Old 04-01-2022, 07:36 PM

Quote:
You fell into the trap. That's exactly the story I had in mind, a sensationalist claimed based on a handful of anecdotal stories. They get a few failing business owners to whine and cry and blame "labor shortage". That is the precise reason I asked for percentage.

There are over a million restaurants in the US. The restaurant industry is notoriously tough and every year thousands close down. No doubt many of the owners need something to blame. Blame it on covid. Blame it on inflation. Blame it on labor shortage. Guess what? Thousands more open. The number that opens is consistently more than the numbers that close resulting in an increasing number of restaurants. That was true even in 2020 over 2021. I predict we'll see the same when 2021 numbers come in. Here's a good site for numbers and statistics.

https://www.statista.com/topics/1135...sierKeyfigures
I know what you asked for, and I figured there was a silly little "trap" involved. I was hoping you'd provide the percentage yourself because I wasn't in the particular mood to look it up for you. There really is more to it than just a handful of disgruntled business owners.

https://restaurant.org/research-and-...dustry-report/

Quote:
Despite some gains, 7 in 10 operators across all major segments say their restaurant currently does not have enough employees to support customer demand and most operators expect their labor challenges to continue through next year. Key figures on the restaurant workforce include:
Sounds about right; most of the restaurants in my area are having similar issues.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-01-2022 at 07:50 PM..

Old 04-01-2022, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I know what you asked for, and I figured there was a silly little "trap" involved. I was hoping you'd provide the percentage yourself because I wasn't in the particular mood to look it up for you.

https://restaurant.org/research-and-...dustry-report/

Sounds about right; most of the restaurants in my area are having similar issues.

And yet, business is booming. I don't watch what people say, I watch what they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events