Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2022, 07:33 AM

51,085 posts, read 36,780,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari2600 View Post
At one point, I was working a full time day job, working 60+ hours a week, getting paid for 40. I also worked the weekend as a professional photographer for NFL games (basically a 12 hour day). At the same time, I was ALSO contracting after hours working for a major medical company doing medical research analytics for the FL, NY, and MA cancer registry... and through all of this, I was also getting a bachelors degree after hours in which I was taking 3 classes a semester. I graduated with a 3.948 GPA and Summa *** Laude. AND... I was doing renovations to my house, managed to find time to work on my cars, AND was doing my part to make a baby.

I don't care about other's experiences... you can be lazy, a victim, and complain, or you can work hard and accomplish great things. My boss has 7 masters degrees... 7... and he's my age, and has done significantly more than I have. So there is absolutely no sympathy here from me.

No able-bodied / mentally stable person in this country has an excuse to be lazy or can claim a victim.
One of the points is that you couldn’t do all those jobs today because the main job changes your shift every week and your days off every week. How can you photograph football games on Sunday if you get your schedule on Thursday and they have you scheduled to work Saturday? How can you do the research job if you can’t reliably tell that company what days you’ll be available because you have no idea until your schedule comes out? That’s what some big employers are doing today and it is a problem because those employers provide a lot of jobs today.

Old 04-01-2022, 07:36 AM

51,085 posts, read 36,780,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
Labor participation rate is still lower than it was pre-covid.
Covid put the gig economy in high gear, and many former employees now do DoorDash, Instacart, etc. They aren’t counted in employment numbers.

Old 04-01-2022, 07:44 AM

17,461 posts, read 15,592,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari2600 View Post

Community College is extremely inexpensive... for most Community Colleges in the country, a class is less than $400 for the entire semester. Every community college offers all their same classes at night as they do during the day. There are more universities offering night classes today than at any time in history. One thing that is also different, many of these classes being offered are now "Online" ... which means you don't have to drive / pay for gas, etc... and have more time not wasted on traveling. Plus, online classes are often cheaper than in-person classes. So I don't know what you're talking about.
No. This is wildly false. They do NOT offer the same classes at night.
The two I went to had only ONE slot for Calculus and Physics classes.

And I am an absolute advocate for community colleges... But... They're being phased out here and turning into "State Colleges."

That said, it is extremely cheap, and pretty much available to everyone. Obtaining an Associates degree is not a hard thing to do.

Old 04-01-2022, 08:36 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,908,129 times
There are no classes in the Spousal Unit’s community college program that start later than 2:00pm. It’s a small program and student load hasn’t justified night classes, which had historically had lower enrollment, in more than 15 years.

Other cohort based programs at his school like nursing are also daytime only too.

Old 04-01-2022, 09:12 AM

10,643 posts, read 7,852,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
I do have a problem with his overall message. It doesn't apply to me, but I sure do take offense at implying now we can corner the low wage earner back into forced slavery type of work with lower wages, which is essentially what he is saying.

And yes, if people's disposable income is cut, eating out less is one of the first things to go. Applebees? Meh, their food is nothing to brag about.
Agreed. Such a piece will obviously be found quite offensive to employees. Pankratz was incredibly tone deaf for writing this, and as a result he's been fired.

"..The letter was sent by Pankratz on March 9 and eventually forwarded to someone at the Lawrence, Kansas, location, where it reportedly spread among employees in a matter of days. At least one employee, manager Jake Holcomb, quit as soon as he read the email, according to VICE News.

Before he left, he told VICE, he printed dozens of copies of the email and distributed it among site employees, customers in the restaurant, and posted several copies on tables and doors around the building.

In the days since, four of the restaurant's six managers and at least 10 other employees have either quit or handed in their notices out of frustration after the email, VICE reported..."

https://www.newsweek.com/applebees-e...er-pay-1693125

Old 04-01-2022, 09:14 AM

8,048 posts, read 3,967,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Here's an interesting article on why restaurants are struggling to stay staffed:

https://www.foodandwine.com/fwpro/re...orker-shortage
"Everything you read on the internet is true." -- Abraham Lincoln

Old 04-01-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Unless you've been in a minimum wage environment in the last ten or fifteen years, you have no clue what it's like now.
Sort of like this, right?

Its almost like they screw up things on purpose. And, of course, they expect a trophy just for showing up to work.

Old 04-01-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The national unemployment rate is something like 3.8% right now. [/url]
It dropped to 3.6% in March, according to just released data.

President Biden is responding to this:

U.S. to Make 35,000 More H-2B Visas Available for Seasonal Workers

Quote:
The Biden administration will make an additional 35,000 seasonal-worker visas available to employers ahead of the coming summer hiring season, the Department of Homeland Security said Thursday.

The visas are being made available in addition to 33,000 visas already set aside for summer seasonal employers. Of the 35,000 additional visas announced Thursday, 11,500 will be set aside for applicants from El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Haiti.
https://archive.ph/YCbme

Old 04-01-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
People see companies raking in the profits, the low end workers want a piece of the pie. Why shouldn't they?
1) They already get a piece of the pie.
2) The surest way to get a larger piece of the pie is to generate more profit for your employer.
3) There's a surfeit of incentives for those employees to gain skills that add more value to society, thereby commanding a higher total compensation.

Old 04-01-2022, 09:40 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,624,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Sort of like this, right?

Its almost like they screw up things on purpose. And, of course, they expect a trophy just for showing up to work.

What an amusing attitude. What are you going to do about them? I mean, employers can't take them out back and beat them like in the days of slavery, so it's a problem hmm?
Maybe, just maybe, employers will have to pay a decent wage, enough to get by with a roommate, and still afford a used car and thrift store clothing and a used cell phone?
A little respect in this world goes a long way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events