Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2022, 01:13 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,855,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari2600 View Post
This is one place that went out of business near my house:

Lots of reasons for the worker shortage...

But it all has to do with COVID, basically. With COVID, the whole country went into a lock-down, and even through the lock-downs and reopening, etc... there are a LOT of changes that have taken place:

The labor shortage (especially in the restaurant industry) predates COVID; COVID just knocked the situation down the stairs, as I mentioned previously.

Anyway, the factors you mention all come into play, and that was part of my original point -- the exec who wrote this email and then apparently proceeded to make copies of the thing and pass them out and pin them up seems to lack understanding of the situation. The workers aren't there anymore.

Old 04-01-2022, 01:13 PM

35,167 posts, read 31,475,700 times
I make it a specific point to try to go to locally owned and operated restaurants. Since COVID, major chains like Olive Garden, Cheddar's, and a few others that I used to frequent with the family have gone all to pieces.

I only went to Applebee's for awhile about ten years ago when I lived in Iowa, and it was the only thing open in my neighborhood when I got off of my second shift job. I probably haven't been five times in the five years I've been back in Tennessee. There are just too many places that are locally owned with better food and business practices to warrant going to Applebee's.

Old 04-01-2022, 01:19 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,855,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I make it a specific point to try to go to locally owned and operated restaurants. Since COVID, major chains like Olive Garden, Cheddar's, and a few others that I used to frequent with the family have gone all to pieces.

I only went to Applebee's for awhile about ten years ago when I lived in Iowa, and it was the only thing open in my neighborhood when I got off of my second shift job. I probably haven't been five times in the five years I've been back in Tennessee. There are just too many places that are locally owned with better food and business practices to warrant going to Applebee's.
I've never been to Applebees and tend to stay away from chains as well.

But I don't kid myself about indie restaurants. If I go to them, it's because I like the food and the atmosphere, but the ones in my area typically don't pay employees as well as the chains and provide no benefits at all.

Old 04-01-2022, 01:30 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,287,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I've never been to Applebees and tend to stay away from chains as well.

But I don't kid myself about indie restaurants. If I go to them, it's because I like the food and the atmosphere, but the ones in my area typically don't pay employees as well as the chains and provide no benefits at all.

Yeah, the people always ranting about the pay and benefits of chain operations act as if they don't know the mom n pop's were offering even lower pay and benefits.

Old 04-01-2022, 01:37 PM

17,457 posts, read 15,592,766 times
Quote:
Sorry, not true. Maybe if you live in a liberal state where they are having to cut costs... either way, there are dozens of colleges that teach online now, cheap... public institutions. You're comments just aren't factual. Right now is the best time ever in world history to get a degree... there are literally thousands of institutions competing for your after-hours business. Unless it's a degree program that REQUIRES you to be in person (getting a Juris Doctorate, or a medical degree) then you can absolutely get it after hours.
Huh?? No... For one, I do not live in a "Liberal state."
I am speaking from experience, having taken classes at Community Colleges (now turned into STATE COLLEGES) and having only one available slot for math and science classes.

You CAN'T get an ABET accredited engineering degree online. How will you get those lab courses done?

My comments aren't factual? I guess my experience in engineering school and now in the engineering world is a big lie.

Old 04-01-2022, 01:43 PM

880 posts, read 569,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Huh?? No... For one, I do not live in a "Liberal state."
I am speaking from experience, having taken classes at Community Colleges (now turned into STATE COLLEGES) and having only one available slot for math and science classes.

You CAN'T get an ABET accredited engineering degree online. How will you get those lab courses done?

My comments aren't factual? I guess my experience in engineering school and now in the engineering world is a big lie.

Don't get high on your horse... there are lots of engineers here. I have two engineering degrees.

I understand you want to make a point, or are trying to at least... but you're just not right. Every college offers "after-hours" courses. Those that don't are exclusively geared towards young / new students. There are dozens and dozens of other colleges and universities that are online, and local to you, that you can go to which have courses locally and after hours.

Old 04-01-2022, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Don't get high on your horse... there are lots of engineers here. I have two engineering degrees.

I understand you want to make a point, or are trying to at least... but you're just not right. Every college offers "after-hours" courses. Those that don't are exclusively geared towards young / new students. There are dozens and dozens of other colleges and universities that are online, and local to you, that you can go to which have courses locally and after hours.
I don't have a "point" to make. I simply called you out on that one line of BS you made. The rest of what you posted, I agree with.

Where can one obtain an ABET engineering degree, after-hours, in, say, Florida, for cheap?

Also, calling you out on your "two engineering degrees." Why would you do this? No one does this, as there is no reason to. Unless you got your degree from an unaccredited school. The way you're talking about college experience, this sounds like it applies to you. You can obtain multiple PE licenses in all states across all disciplines with ONE engineering degree.

You are not making any sense.

Old 04-01-2022, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I don't have a "point" to make. I simply called you out on that one line of BS you made. The rest of what you posted, I agree with.

Where can one obtain an ABET engineering degree, after-hours, in, say, Florida, for cheap?

Also, calling you out on your "two engineering degrees." Why would you do this? No one does this, as there is no reason to. Unless you got your degree from an unaccredited school. The way you're talking about college experience, this sounds like it applies to you. You can obtain multiple PE licenses in all states across all disciplines with ONE engineering degree.

You are not making any sense.

Oh Jesus... here we go. Let me pull it out and measure for you...

I have a software engineering degree, which is ABET certified, as well as regionally accredited, and all the other nonsense terms. I got that degree locally because I could.

I don't program anymore, I'm in my early/mid-40s, I did it for basically 15-20 years. People change careers. I transitioned to leading development teams, and then moved into Cybersecurity. I also have a CompSci degree, and I have an information assurance engineering masters degree. I spent almost a decade in cybersecurity. Now I manage a team developing artificial intelligence and machine learning solutions. Now I'm getting a law degree... totally unrelated, I want to broaden my skills.

ABET also certifies 100% online degrees... there are dozens of them... you can see the list of them here: https://amspub.abet.org/aps/online-search

I don't know why you're so focused on ABET, it's not what you think it is. After you've had some time in your field, you'll find that no one really cares. If you can get the job done, and have experience under your belt... it doesn't matter as much anymore, just that your grades were really good (we do check things like that).

Old 04-01-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:

I don't know why you're so focused on ABET, it's not what you think it is. After you've had some time in your field, you'll find that no one really cares. If you can get the job done, and have experience under your belt... it doesn't matter as much anymore, just that your grades were really good (we do check things like that).
ABET accreditation is a requirement to obtain a PE license. No one checks grades. The PE license is what matters. It is how drawings can get signed and sealed.

Are you serious??? Lol

For the record, I took a few classes at Purdue Global, hoping that it was, in fact, 100% online — despite what they market, it WAS NOT. Some travel to campus was still a requirement to fulfill lab coursework.

Also… you said community college. The [very few] schools in that list are EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE.

Old 04-01-2022, 03:48 PM

Quote:
ABET accreditation is a requirement to obtain a PE license. No one checks grades. The PE license is what matters. It is how drawings can get signed and sealed.

Are you serious??? Lol

For the record, I took a few classes at Purdue Global, hoping that it was, in fact, 100% online — despite what they market, it WAS NOT. Some travel to campus was still a requirement to fulfill lab coursework.

Also… you said community college. The [very few] schools in that list are EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE.

You're obviously a young guy, and still working towards that. Literally every college worth their salt is PE accredited. I hire people in the 180-250k range, and I've never asked them if they have a PE accreditation. Like, literally no one thinks of this, and I don't even know why we're talking about this.

Literally every college I've gone to is ABET accredited, and it's not something I've ever even thought about, or cared about.

Even... whatever that one is... University of Phoenix that you see advertised on TV all the time, that's ABET certified too. So again, no idea why you're even discussing this...

Community Colleges offer associates degrees, and in rare occasions bachelors degrees.

No one considers you an "engineer" with an Associates degree, so I don't even know why you're talking about community colleges... you're the one that started going on about needing an engineering degree and then tying it to community colleges.

Here's a list of schools in Florida that you can go to based off your ABET certification: https://amspub.abet.org/aps/category...s=US&states=FL

There's even one in West Florida.

Next...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events