Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 02:22 AM

23,892 posts, read 33,638,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Yes...I didn't have a problem with the over all message so much, except it's pretty club footed and clumsy. But am I wrong? That same diminishing disposable income affects their clientele too, doesn't it? And while Applebee's has it's niche in the restaurant business...they're just one of many places to 'eat out'...and Applebees is never MY first choice of where to eat. (Shrug shoulders.)

I don't have a problem with his email, he spoke his mind. Unfortunately for him, it was shared, went viral. For what? Clicks?

Yeah, there's been issues getting people to work for what a lot of us have worked for growing up, minimum wage, we were the ones breaking our bodies and busting our a$$es for these companies while the higher ups were the ones getting the big salary that we deserved a piece of. How many people remember making under $2 an hour?

The question will be, once COVID finishes dying down, will the pay rate continue to be what it is, at least $15 an hour? We know these minimum wage people won't be happy with that either, but their reality is they do not have skills to make more money, if they did have skills, they'd be making better money.

I think eventually these higher wages will drop to the $10 to $12 range. There's no way businesses can sustain paying these higher wages, especially smaller businesses who are losing their shirts.

Prices have an will continue to raise as we, the customer is the one paying them for their "skills". How high will the prices be before "we" decide we've had enough? We stop eating out or shopping at the businesses who pay their staff that much.

I don't go out often to eat, I shop at stores according to their prices to save as much money as I can. If everyone did that, employers will be forced to let some of these higher earners go. Their good thing will come to an end...

Old 03-29-2022, 07:03 AM

13,062 posts, read 18,165,309 times
What I find most troubling is that with this going viral it will get added "creditability" among fast food restaurants and become the mantra for doing business. As previously pointed out this idiot failed to recognize that pass along costs stop many from going out for non necessary trips and that included eating out.

Old 03-29-2022, 07:44 AM

7,934 posts, read 3,892,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
https://www.newsweek.com/leaked-appl...-labor-1691819

Someone needs to tell him that his theory about people being "forced back into the labor pool" due to no more enhanced unemployment benefits has been disproven in recent months.

We desperately need to increase the labor pool. As a whole, the labor force has grown too affluent, and far too many just don't want to add value to society.

Old 03-29-2022, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
With regard to what he's actually saying and the tone..why would you be surprised that corporate leadership views labor primarily as a cost factor in their balance sheets.
I see you've never taken an introductory course in financial accounting. Costs are income statement items, not balance sheet items.

Old 03-29-2022, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
I do have a problem with his overall message. It doesn't apply to me, but I sure do take offense at implying now we can corner the low wage earner back into forced slavery type of work with lower wages, which is essentially what he is saying.
I see you've never had the opportunity or desire to take economics at the university or graduate school level. There are many on-line courses in economics, several of which are free, and some of which don't even require the mastery of high school calculus. Check out, for example, Khan Academy to start.

Old 03-29-2022, 08:02 AM

The major shareholders of Applebee's parent, Dine Brands Brands, are institutional investors that invest for the benefit of unionized public sector pension plans, non-unionized public sector pension plans, private sector pension funds, 401K plans, IRAs, and individual non-tax-advantaged accounts.

The profits are used to pay public sector retirees their pensions, pay for their health insurance, build a nesteg for retirees in their golden years, and provide for widows & orphans.

I'm not sure why so many people are against providing for the financial security of the elderly, widows & orphans.

Today's JOLTS report of job openings show 11.3 Million job openings, the highest ever recorded. It is hand-to-hand combat to find employees who are willing to show up & work.

Old 03-29-2022, 08:13 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,619,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
I see you've never had the opportunity or desire to take economics at the university or graduate school level. There are many on-line courses in economics, several of which are free, and some of which don't even require the mastery of high school calculus. Check out, for example, Khan Academy to start.
BS.
You don't know anything about me. Can it.

Old 03-29-2022, 08:49 AM

6,824 posts, read 4,278,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
I see you've never taken an introductory course in financial accounting. Costs are income statement items, not balance sheet items.

Yeah I haven't. And?

Old 03-29-2022, 12:10 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,256,648 times
I'm surprised that so many seem to think the primary purpose of a business is to provide paychecks to employees and not to make a profit. To a business, employees are simply labor cost, one of many costs. It's only natural that business owners (like home owners) seek to cut costs wherever they can. It's about cutting expenses to save on costs, not about the recipients of those expenses.

Old 03-29-2022, 12:12 PM

19,861 posts, read 9,418,708 times
I have now read that e-mail three times, and I find nothing wrong with it. It struck me as being realistic and practical and considerate of the needs of the employees, as shown in the concluding paragraph. QUOTE, my italics and bold:

"[M]ake sure you have a pulse on the morale of your employees. Your employees that live check to check are impacted more than the people reading this email. Be conscious of that. Many will need to work more hours or get a second job. Do things to make sure you are the employer of choice. Get schedules completed early so they can plan their other jobs around yours. Most importantly, have the culture and environment that will attract people."
[end quote]

In my opinion, these are not the words of someone who has no regard for lower-level employees -- quite the opposite, in fact. I certainly did not take the memo as being written by someone who was rubbing their hands in glee at the prospect of being able to have more applicants and no longer being forced to pay them $18 to $20 an hour.

Last edited by katharsis; 03-29-2022 at 01:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events