Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 05:57 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times

Advertisements

Yikes. Some of the comments are so surprisingly loaded with vengeance. Makes me shudder.

This accident is tragic on so many levels. The production company is responsible. Period. It sounds to me like there was sabotage involved from some unknown angle. Alec and the prop handler shouldn't have been prosecuted. They are human beings caught up in a nightmare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2023, 06:09 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Someone is to blame, but I doubt it’s Adam Baldwin. He killed her. He didn’t mean to. Sad, but true. Someone is to blame, but it’s not him, and I’m no fan of that liberal f***er, believe me.
It was Alec Baldwin, and yes he is to blame. He broke every rule of firearms safety.
Didn’t check the weapon.
Pointed at a person.
Pulled the trigger when there was zero reason to do so.

100%, Alec Baldwin is to blame. Not to say that the armorer is not also to blame, but Baldwin is the one who compounded misfortune by being an idiot.

Old 01-19-2023, 06:10 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Yikes. Some of the comments are so surprisingly loaded with vengeance. Makes me shudder.

This accident is tragic on so many levels. The production company is responsible. Period. It sounds to me like there was sabotage involved from some unknown angle. Alec and the prop handler shouldn't have been prosecuted. They are human beings caught up in a nightmare.
Idiocy is not a valid defense. Alec and the prop handler created the nightmare by their lack of due diligence.

Old 01-19-2023, 06:18 PM

602 posts, read 312,880 times
What is involuntary manslaughter? A law professor explains the charge facing Alec Baldwin for ‘Rust’ shooting death

https://theconversation.com/what-is-...g-death-198218

Old 01-19-2023, 06:34 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
I don’t have a high opinion of him.
I can easily see him verbally abusing a person to get his way.
I just don’t trust him to be fair if he wants his way.
His excuse was as weak if not weaker than his weapon handling skills.

Old 01-19-2023, 06:39 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I know what you mean, but just for discussion's sake, the difference between normal gun handling and filming a movie is, in movies, people DO point guns at other people, and even fire them. Guns may have dummy rounds that do nothing or blanks that will go bang with a puff of smoke. They put these kinds of fake rounds in them because smart movie watchers would be able to see a gun is unloaded in a closeup. The lack of any kick is obvious if you dry fire an empty gun.

So the gun perhaps shouldn't be "cleared" in the traditional sense. But someone needed to be very sure what kind of bullets were in the gun. Extra safety measures need to be in place because they sometimes have to break some of the usual rules.

I heard stories early on that they had all been out target shooting together at some point previously, to become proficient and experienced with the weapons. Maybe to have a good time, too, I don't know... but there had been live rounds involved as they were target shooting.

I have also heard that a group of crew members had become troubled or angry about safety on the set.

That raises the obvious question to me, about bad habits, but it also raises some additional questions in my mind about bad motives. If there was someone angry, might they have reason to scare or teach a lesson to those involved? Might real rounds have been intentionally loaded? That alone doesn't absolve Baldwin and the armorer from guilt, but it might mean there might be another guilty party around.

One of the witnesses said the bullets come from the dummy box. That alone implies there was a box or boxes around with some other kind of bullets in it.
From what I've read, they pay people to use their firearms of the era of the movie. So, there is a good chance they just used a personal firearm from someone and never bothered to clear it. Both are responsible. Maybe they should hire actors and employees that actually know firearms if they are going to use real guns.

Old 01-19-2023, 06:55 PM

2,623 posts, read 1,170,699 times
He should bare some responsibility regardless of what his contract says. I'm not saying he is completely innocent but I do question who the hell put an live bullet in that gun? I wouldn't be surprised if Baldwin was set up considering there were so many people PO'd with him. Yes he may have friends but he really ticked off a lot of people. Then there is the other thing I have to question and that is did he just not give a **** because he knew and/or thought his contract would protect?

He is very much against guns and wants gun control from what I remember of him and so I again must question was he set up because of that and the fact that he was sloppy, careless with safety.

I don't care if they are all blanks gun safety still has to come first. With all of today's technology there shouldn't be any need for blanks or live ammo on any movie or TV set.

Last edited by staystill; 01-19-2023 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: and I agree with JimRon Alec and the prop handler created the nightmare by their lack of due diligence.

Old 01-19-2023, 07:08 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,925,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Idiocy is not a valid defense. Alec and the prop handler created the nightmare by their lack of due diligence.
Don't forget David Halls, the assistant director, the man who handed the gun to Baldwin before the fatal shooting. (Halls has also been the subject of complaints over safety in two productions in 2019.)

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/19/us/ru...ers/index.html

Quote:
He signed a plea agreement “for the charge of negligent use of a deadly weapon,” the district attorney’s office announced in its statement Thursday. Prosecutors said the terms of that deal include six months of probation.
I wonder if the other two (Reed & Baldwin) were offered any kind of plea agreement.

Last edited by geebabe; 01-19-2023 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: link

Old 01-19-2023, 08:47 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
My daughter knew how to clear a handgun at age 8.
Such great parenting, allowing an 8 year old to handle a gun.

Old 01-19-2023, 09:13 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
Wrong. This was her second job, not first. "The Old Way" was her first experience as head armorer. Nicholas Cage had a lot to say about her carelessness. Also, please keep in mind that she is the daughter of prominent Hollywood armorer, Thell Reed. That seems like a pretty good mentor to me.

I'm trying to find the article referring to Nicholas Cage ripping her a new one because of things she was doing wrong on the set of The Old Way.

Here's one of many articles about her:

https://nypost.com/2021/10/23/rust-a...o-child-actor/
If this is true, she's one deadly nepo baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events