Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2023, 04:30 PM

17,543 posts, read 13,329,500 times

Advertisements

He should slowly roast in hell

But, I have a serious question for the lawyers of CD

How can a crime committed in Aruba be tried in the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2023, 04:48 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,603 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
He should slowly roast in hell

But, I have a serious question for the lawyers of CD

How can a crime committed in Aruba be tried in the US?
Not a lawyer, but I am good at reading articles.

He's not being tried for any crime against Natalee that occurred on Aruba.

"Van der Sloot will now face charges of extortion and wire fraud in the United States after allegedly attempting to sell Beth Holloway, Natalee's mother, information regarding the location of her daughter's body".

Old 06-08-2023, 05:45 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
I sure do hope he gets a touch of some Southern Hospitality before being sent back to Peru.
People in the south have a thing about them and I hope he gets a taste of that flavor.
He has a lot to account for.

Old 06-09-2023, 10:17 AM

843 posts, read 563,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Hope this is correct.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/08/us/na...day/index.html

It says the Peru extradited him only temporarily - to stand trial. Then he allegedly must return to Peru to serve the rest of his murder sentence in full.

US wanted the trial as the extortion and wire fraud witnesses are “elderly”.

Not sure what the point of trial in the US - how much the sentence for wire fraud if convicted? Is it after he serves in Peru?

So, it is a vacation in US for that POS
THANK YOU!!

I'm amazed at how most people don't read wtf is going on here. People are going off complaining about tax dollars, he'll have an easier prison sentence here, blah, blah, blah. They think he is being moved to a prison in the US long term, which is NOT TRUE. Frustrating.

They are bringing him here for trial for the fraud charges now, instead of waiting for his prison term to end before the fraud trial, which would push the trial back for decades.

After the trial he'll be returned to Peru to finish his jail time for the murder of the other girl he was convicted on. If he's convicted in the US, he will then be brought here after he's released from Peru to serve his time for the fraud conviction.

So he's not staying here to go to prison in the US. At least not until he serves his time in Peru.

Old 06-09-2023, 11:03 AM

50,720 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
His prison in US will be so much better than in Peru.
Bet he would love it.More rights too - which I am sure he would use with abandon.

He maybe even be out on parole
I would let him rot in Peru:convicted in 2012, given 28 years plus a later add-on for drugs.

The Holloway then could get him to stand the trial here. In 2045
How much is he going to get for extortion? Not much.
So why make it easier on him?

It is a burden on taxpayers too.
He murdered the girl in Peru and confessed as the evidence was overwhelming.

We are not even sure he actually killed Natalie; perhaps left her drugged out on the beach and she drowned?
Extortion isn’t the same as murder - if convicted - the parole is certainly not out of the question
Once his trial here is done, he goes back to Peru to finish his sentence there. After his sentence there ends, he comes back here and goes into a prison here (if convicted).

Old 06-09-2023, 11:27 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,280,712 times
He has that crazed wild eye look of someone who has spent a decade in the Peruvian penal system.

Old 06-09-2023, 07:05 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,186,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Once his trial here is done, he goes back to Peru to finish his sentence there. After his sentence there ends, he comes back here and goes into a prison here (if convicted).
If convicted - he will stay in US for the appeals - that is the agreement with Peru

Do you know how long the appeals last?
The guy is not completely stupid - he will file them all. Bet US prisons are much more preferable than the ones he accustomed to

Old 06-09-2023, 07:56 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,603 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
If convicted - he will stay in US for the appeals - that is the agreement with Peru

Do you know how long the appeals last?
The guy is not completely stupid - he will file them all. Bet US prisons are much more preferable than the ones he accustomed to
It sounds like Peru is also not stupid - they're passing him on to the US to house him.

Old 06-11-2023, 04:51 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
His prison in US will be so much better than in Peru.
Bet he would love it.More rights too - which I am sure he would use with abandon.

He maybe even be out on parole
I would let him rot in Peru:convicted in 2012, given 28 years plus a later add-on for drugs.

The Holloway then could get him to stand the trial here. In 2045
How much is he going to get for extortion? Not much.
So why make it easier on him?

It is a burden on taxpayers too.
He murdered the girl in Peru and confessed as the evidence was overwhelming.

We are not even sure he actually killed Natalie; perhaps left her drugged out on the beach and she drowned?
Extortion isn’t the same as murder - if convicted - the parole is certainly not out of the question
The article says Federal prosecutors.................and there is no parole in the Federal prison system.

Old 06-11-2023, 02:44 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It sounds like Peru is also not stupid - they're passing him on to the US to house him.
Bingo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events