Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 10:22 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Bingo!
It's the U.S. who requested it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2023, 10:25 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,881,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
If convicted - he will stay in US for the appeals - that is the agreement with Peru.

Do you know how long the appeals last?

The guy is not completely stupid - he will file them all. Bet US prisons are much more preferable than the ones he accustomed to
I doubt he'll win any appeals. I doubt the U.S. wants to spend any time or money on this psychopath. We'll see.

Old 06-13-2023, 08:24 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,192,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I doubt he'll win any appeals. I doubt the U.S. wants to spend any time or money on this psychopath. We'll see.
You could be right:the prosecution is pretty sure of his conviction on wire fraud.

Nevertheless, bet he would prefer to stay in US as long as he can - with the public defense lawyer perhaps courtesy of US taxpayers - to file all possible appeals.

JV charges have nothing to do with the actual alleged killing? of Natalie H

That is why I think the NH mother should have just let it go and let him rot in Peru instead. Why provide him with the comfort and rights of US prison system?

Old 06-13-2023, 08:34 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,881,999 times
It does make one wonder how they are treating him in Birmingham. Not that they would do it, but the local people probably have some pretty intense loyalty toward the Holloways and outrage about what happened to Natalee and it might affect their treatment of him. We all know prison guards do cause problems and wreak havoc upon some inmates. Hopefully they are not treating him well - just well enough to avoid any charges of abuse or maltreatment.

Old 06-13-2023, 08:56 AM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
It does make one wonder how they are treating him in Birmingham. Not that they would do it, but the local people probably have some pretty intense loyalty toward the Holloways and outrage about what happened to Natalee and it might affect their treatment of him. We all know prison guards do cause problems and wreak havoc upon some inmates. Hopefully they are not treating him well - just well enough to avoid any charges of abuse or maltreatment.

He's in whatever the Federal holding facility is, which I would presume is probably the county jail for whatever county Birmingham is in... And, think of the people that probably come through there every day. Murderers, Rapists, etc, etc.

I doubt this guy is a blip on the radar.

I know that Etowah county a few years back, the sheriff was.. At least investigated for feeding inmates PB&J or baloney and nothing else.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ht-beach-house

So.. I'm sure he's not having fun.. And, depending on whether or not he's in a prison with A/C, he might wind up having far less fun in a month or two.

Can you imagine an Alabama summer with no A/C?

Old 06-13-2023, 10:36 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
He's in whatever the Federal holding facility is, which I would presume is probably the county jail for whatever county Birmingham is in... And, think of the people that probably come through there every day. Murderers, Rapists, etc, etc.

I doubt this guy is a blip on the radar.

I know that Etowah county a few years back, the sheriff was.. At least investigated for feeding inmates PB&J or baloney and nothing else.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ht-beach-house

So.. I'm sure he's not having fun.. And, depending on whether or not he's in a prison with A/C, he might wind up having far less fun in a month or two.

Can you imagine an Alabama summer with no A/C?
I'd imagine it's still better than a Peruvian prison.

Old 06-13-2023, 03:48 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

Well, there's 51 watchlists I'm probably on. I just searched for Peruvian Prison Conditions.

See the "Google Search History" topic for a better understanding of the above.

I'd.. Probably tend to agree. South American prisons are usually in line with some of the far east prisons like Singapore and the like.

In general, US prisons are relatively safe. The federal ones are probably safer than some areas of Chicago. Still.. Not exactly somewhere I'd want to be. Either in Peru or the US or probably anywhere else. Though I hear that Sweden and Finland.. Some of their prisoners live better than normal citizens.

Old 10-18-2023, 02:54 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,748,651 times
Joran finally admits he killed Natalee Holloway when she rejected his advances, the article said he kicked her in the face, smashed her with a cinder block and got rid of her in the ocean a few days later using a boat. I don't know if the method he used to murder her had been verified

Old 10-19-2023, 03:22 AM

1,017 posts, read 639,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
He's in whatever the Federal holding facility is, which I would presume is probably the county jail for whatever county Birmingham is in.
Hoover has the contract to hold federal inmates. So they've been carting this... individual back and forth from there to the downtown Birmingham Hugo Black courthouse for all his various appearances. Lots of agents, black Tahoes, TV spots... it's gross that so much money had to spent just so this... person could have his day in court.

Now that he's finally owned up to his heinous act, I still wonder how accurate his confession is. I don't doubt he smashed her head in, but just dragging her out into the ocean on foot and her not washing back up sounds unlikely to me unless he had help or used a boat or something.

But if momma has found peace, i guess it doesn't matter anymore.

Old 10-19-2023, 06:44 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Didn't he marry, and get his wife pregnant while in that prison?

Not sure that's an indication of rough conditions, at all.

He also was convicted of trafficking cocaine in that prison. Seems like pretty lax conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events