Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2023, 06:44 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Even if there were banging noises coming from the craft, what could anyone do about it?...

If alive, they are sitting in total darkness at 37 degrees. Gads.
Assuming that they don't have battery powered emergency light. Yes. It's very frightening.

History has shown that attempts to rescue stricken submarines do not always end well, nonetheless those trying save the crew and passengers on board the OceanGate’s Titan sub may take inspiration from the successful rescue of two British submariners 50 years ago, who’s tiny vessel was raised from the depths of nearly 1600 feet, 150 miles off Ireland.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...ne-submersible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2023, 06:51 AM

550 posts, read 365,273 times
Modern day version of Jonah and the whale? Though highly doubt a whale the initial cause of submarine failure, a blue or like whale 100+ feet long could have since swallowed the sub only 20-25 feet long. This would make the sub difficult to find.

Old 06-21-2023, 06:59 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
I saw a piece on social media this morning talking about how everyone is fussing about these billionaires, who, if you really think about it, got the Titanic experience. On Wednesday, a ship carrying 750 migrants capsized off the coast of Greece. Hundreds of people are missing at this time, but they're not rich, so they don't get the attention: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65914476

Old 06-21-2023, 07:04 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I saw a piece on social media this morning talking about how everyone is fussing about these billionaires, who, if you really think about it, got the Titanic experience. On Wednesday, a ship carrying 750 migrants capsized off the coast of Greece. Hundreds of people are missing at this time, but they're not rich, so they don't get the attention: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65914476
That news got plenty attention, maybe a bit less in the US, and US news coverage has usually short live span. Those are sad, but recurring occurrences. While the submarine is not. Some news just catch more public attention than other.
OceanGate Inc. is also a privately held U.S. company and Stockton Rush is US citizen.

Old 06-21-2023, 07:12 AM

2,036 posts, read 1,605,030 times
A retired US Navy submarine captain explains how the submersible could be rescued in deep water.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=07AiVc...YyByZXNjdWU%3D

Old 06-21-2023, 07:24 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I wonder if the little sub is ferromagnetic. Maybe some type of magnet could be used.
I read that it’s made of 5” thick carbon fiber with titanium end caps, so unfortunately no. That would be a good idea if so.

Old 06-21-2023, 07:42 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I wonder why he says "this thing isn't motorized". It's battery operated, and controlled with a game controller.
Boys and their toys.

Old 06-21-2023, 07:48 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Boys and their toys.
Time is running out. I truly hope they are rescued but at this point don't think it will happen, that said having oodles and oodles of money doesn't afford common sense apparently.

Old 06-21-2023, 08:03 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Time is running out. I truly hope they are rescued but at this point don't think it will happen, that said having oodles and oodles of money doesn't afford common sense apparently.
I think there are two types of extreme adventure seekers- sporty younger people who live for experience, don't care about material things. And rich people who have it all and have done it all and can only push the envelope to get excited. They can afford to do things most others cannot do, and they become part of an elite group even among the elite.

Old 06-21-2023, 08:38 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I think there are two types of extreme adventure seekers- sporty younger people who live for experience, don't care about material things. And rich people who have it all and have done it all and can only push the envelope to get excited. They can afford to do things most others cannot do, and they become part of an elite group even among the elite.
The heights of Mt Everest are home to many of those types of people. It is usually reported there are more than 200 bodies up there.
The bodies on Mount Everest cannot be recovered. That fact always fascinated me. It just seems like.... (ya know?)

If this little submersible does not pop to the surface pretty quickly, then it never will. Even if some future exploring vehicle found its precise location there would be no way - or reason - to bring it up.

Space exploration, if it ever develops to something significant outside the magnetosphere, will result in many of these types of accidents. Only 12 Americans have ever ventured outside the magnetosphere (And even they may not have gone far enough), and they did so only for a few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events