Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2023, 02:48 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,125,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Even if one available - it takes mothership 2 days to get there - once there nothing they could do unless that submersible is floating and found: to unbolt the exit
Is it only unbolted from the exterior? I'd be surprised. I would think they would have a way to open it from the inside too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2023, 03:01 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Is it only unbolted from the exterior? I'd be surprised. I would think they would have a way to open it from the inside too.
There are videos showing them bolting the door shut after the passengers get into the sub. I believe it requires 17 bolts to seal it. That is one of the aspects that adds to the terrifying claustrophobia many feel when following this case.

If you go to the 4:30 mark, it shows it here: Quote from video, "the crew closes the hatch from the outside, with 17 bolts, there's no other way out."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29co_Hksk6o

Old 06-20-2023, 03:03 PM

17,301 posts, read 22,030,713 times
The coast guard said 7600 sq mile search area (larger than the state of CT), looking for a 21 ft long object.

#1 goal is to find it, then worry about what to do next.

My gut feeling is that it will never be found. Its too small and the water is too deep. Its got to be miserable in there if they are still alive counting the minutes of oxygen left. Its likely very cold in there also due to the depth.

I couldn't imagine being a billionaire and THIS is what I want to do for fun!

Old 06-20-2023, 03:03 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,190,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
That what was mentioned 17 bolts tightened from the outside - watch the videos. It had to be hermetically sealed to withstand such pressure
The false sense of security? With the mothership is always nearby? - it suppose to be only 8 hour “dive†for the submersible.

Which makes me think that they never surfaced- the mothership perhaps would be able to locate them otherwise? Was it foggy? What was the weather like?

One would think that if you are running a business where the ticket price is $250K then there has to be some contingency planned - that Boston ship with the claw mentioned by the admiral on a dial ?
Or even outfit the mothership with one?

As we speak there are at least 2 billionaires down there now. Imagine what money they are able to spend to ensure their own safety?
I would charter that Boston claw ship..just in case.

Especially if they already had a precedent- a little scare when they got wedged in Titanic’s propeller once already on another “expeditionâ€

Another crazy is a joystick so “everyone could try to operate the submersibleâ€
Wonder if the kid took some risk?

You don’t become billionaires if you don’t take some risks - but to be so helpless in situations like that ?

Not even talking about money spent on search/rescue/recovery by the taxpayers so someone get an adrenaline rush on this joy ride?

If they perished I just hope it was so quick that they didn’t realize it
Miracle could happen: hope springs eternal

Old 06-20-2023, 03:11 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
There are videos showing them bolting the door shut after the passengers get into the sub. I believe it requires 17 bolts to seal it. That is one of the aspects that adds to the terrifying claustrophobia many feel when following this case.
Well, I bet it was nicer than it was for Dr. Beebe! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Beebe

As I recall from a book I read as a child, for them to seal him and Barton in their bathysphere, they had to hammer down the bolts at the port with wrenches and sledge hammers.

Old 06-20-2023, 03:11 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,622 posts, read 17,953,728 times
If the submarine is on the water surface, it seems something as simple as a find my phone would work to locate it.

I learned a couple weeks ago that you don't have to have find my phone before you locate it - you can go to your provider and enter the details of your phone and they'll show you on a map where it is.

Do they not even have THAT level of ability to find this? I know when it was submerging the base ship could communicate with the submersible with texts, so it's not like this capsule prevents cell phone signals. They were doing that in the beginning.

Old 06-20-2023, 03:13 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
Morbid thought, but the families would need to sue the estate of the CEO in a case like this. But, one is a billionaire, and the other must have a lot of wealth, so its possible they wouldn't feel a need to go for financial recuperation.

I can't imagine how the employees of that company must be feeling with their CEO and another high-up tech person being in the actual vessel.

I wonder if the US government or other agencies would go after the company to recuperate costs of the search.

Old 06-20-2023, 03:21 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,125,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
The coast guard said 7600 sq mile search area (larger than the state of CT), looking for a 21 ft long object.

#1 goal is to find it, then worry about what to do next.

My gut feeling is that it will never be found. Its too small and the water is too deep. Its got to be miserable in there if they are still alive counting the minutes of oxygen left. Its likely very cold in there also due to the depth.

I couldn't imagine being a billionaire and THIS is what I want to do for fun!
Sounds to me as though authorities believe it's adrift perhaps under the surface.

Old 06-20-2023, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
If the submarine is on the water surface, it seems something as simple as a find my phone would work to locate it.

I learned a couple weeks ago that you don't have to have find my phone before you locate it - you can go to your provider and enter the details of your phone and they'll show you on a map where it is.

Do they not even have THAT level of ability to find this? I know when it was submerging the base ship could communicate with the submersible with texts, so it's not like this capsule prevents cell phone signals. They were doing that in the beginning.

cell service 400 miles offshore.........ummm no

Old 06-20-2023, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Morbid thought, but the families would need to sue the estate of the CEO in a case like this. But, one is a billionaire, and the other must have a lot of wealth, so its possible they wouldn't feel a need to go for financial recuperation.

I can't imagine how the employees of that company must be feeling with their CEO and another high-up tech person being in the actual vessel.

I wonder if the US government or other agencies would go after the company to recuperate costs of the search.
#1- employees of the company are searching for new jobs, this one is over

#2 - suing the estate of the company owner is a joke, they have far more than he ever would and he will likely die with them

#3 - nah, the government will just pay for it despite spending millions to find 5 people vs. think of how many immigrants are floating at sea right now trying to get to America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events